VST3 x64 or VST x64

sadicus

The VST3 specification supports more features than VST.  (I think, um, re-sizeable UI, and side-chaining, and possibly more)

Therefore, if your plugin vendor offers both types, you are usually better off using the VST3 version, especially if this is a new plugin that you haven't used before.

However, any existing project that uses the VST version of the plugin won't automatically use the VST3 version, if you have both. At least, I personally have encountered problems deciding to switch from VST to VST3 versions of plugins (MeldaProduction, for what its worth) and found that my projects could not find the previously used plugins.

I reinstalled the non-VST3 flavor and returned to work. Just my 5c.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

However, any existing project that uses the VST version of the plugin won't automatically use the VST3 version, if you have both. At least, I personally have encountered problems deciding to switch from VST to VST3 versions of plugins (MeldaProduction, for what its worth) and found that my projects could not find the previously used plugins.

It is up to the plug-in manufacturer to add the appropriate code to their plug-ins to support automatic VST2-to-VST3 migration. AFAIK, few do this.  Melda Production does not.

• Like 1

Presently there are not many VST3s that exist as VST3 only.  Most VST3s have a VST2 counterpart.

When both VST2 and VST3 are available I will  try the VST3 version first.  Normally the VST3 will have the same feature set as its VST2 counterpart.  Additionally there is a better chance the developer will continue VST3 support.

If the VST3 doesn't work out then I delete the VST3, rescan and use the VST2.

In all cases I'm trying to use 64 bit VSTs and eliminate 32 bit VST2s from my VST collection.

• Like 1

I wrote an article called VST 2.4 vs. VST3 - Who Cares? You should that you may find helpful.  Bear in mind that VST3 is a set of suggestions, not rules, and it's a crap shoot as to which features a plug-in company will support. VST3 is loaded with potential, but that potential has not always been realized.

The only truly annoying thing I've noticed is that sometimes I have to use a VST 2.4 version because it can receive program changes commands, while the VST3 version cannot.  Huh? I've asked software companies about this, and apparently, there's no technical reason why VST3 plug-ins can't support program changes so I don't know why this is a common problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/9/2020 at 7:57 AM, DeeringAmps said:

It’s a test and then choose

Yes and what I'm finding is VST3 bring my system to a crawl. I have better luck with VST2x64.

@Craig AndertonDang, When Elon perfects Neurolink I think a lot of Cakewalk users would like to plugin to your brain! VST2x64 of course.

Edited by sadicus
  • Great Idea 1