VS700 Functionality with Cakewalk Bandlab in Win 10

Silvan7

To any and all VS700 users out there,

I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can discuss VS700 integration/functionality in more detail with Cakewalk Bandlab, ask questions and problem solve, and at least know what others are experiencing.

Is anyone using the vs700 with bandlab with actual full functionality with all it's features and no bugs?

There were some functions lost with Sonar x1 and x2 from what I've read, so I went back to Producer 8.5, as that was when Roland had everything fully tuned to work seamlessly with Sonar. It seems there has been a decline in some of the advanced features since then. But I am personally giving CwB another go to see if I can make it work.

For instance, I want to be able to use the video mixing and surround sound capabilities. From what I can tell the greatest/smoothest/seamless integration only really happened at producer 8.5.. and then at Sonar x1/x2 it started to lose a bit of functionality.

Does anyone know how to get the surround panning and T-bar functionality working in Cakewalk Bandlab?

Has anyone really figured out the limits of what it can and can't do in CwB overall, apart from all the more basic functions?

If anyone is interested to discuss their experience I'm all ears. And if not- maybe this thread can be a place where that kind of thing is discussed so VS700 users can make the most out of their gear with the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Edited by Silvan7
Update

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I would love a vs700 section for the forum.

My system is working fine under win10 and the .inf hack, but I want to make sure I am doing all I can for its success.

Currently, I am trying to get fantom synth, and my brass ARX to sound. I get indications it is receiving input, but still no sound.

Hello fellow VS-700 people. 

I know there has been a lot of questions around the drivers for windows 10, and for me it has worked great. Using the VS-700R/C and I really appreciate it.

BUT.. With the latest update of Cakewalk Version 2022.06 (build 028, 64 bit) it is suddenly struggling big time with finding the console. The only think i get under midi/devices is the IO (VS700) and the four midi devices I use from Edirol. Normally I got the VS-700 midi showing up in both in and out. I see that the drivers are ok in device manager, and 1 out of 20 times when I restart everything it pops up nicely in Cakewalk, the rest it is just empty. I do not know if this is connected with the lates update or not. Anyone who got any idea about something I can try? I have tried re-installing the drivers, removing any unused sources, turning things off and on in all different combinations with no luck, except that odd time when it magically works until next time I start Cakewalk.

Thanks, @Wookiee If you see closely theres a small arrow on those because I thought the same and have disabled them. Thanks for the tip though.

This is so frustrating. There should be a button where you could just select a midi from the device manager and force Cakewalk to use it, but sadly that is not how the world works. I'm impressed that I have got response from you guys right away, that's amazing.

I just noticed that these are in Software Devices, sounds like the ones i want.. They were classified as "working properly" but at the same time with a generic driver for a "generic software device". i tried to update the driver with the modified RDIF1089.INF but are not allowed because it is not recognised as a signed file designed for 64 bit.. That's strange, I have used it with windows 10 for years now.. So maybe it is a windows update issue.. Anybode got thoughts on what to do given this information?

midi3.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, update.. i disabled a lot of the devices, cakewalk shut down when i tried to open it again, I uninstalled the RDIF1089.INF "vs700_w81d_v202" and reinstalled the old "vs700_win8d_v201". Now everything works, I am not sure how stable, but it looks good, and the device overview in windows looks like this (the ones with arrow symbol is disabled):

midi4.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 6:52 PM, Silvan7 said:

Is anyone using the vs700 with bandlab with actual full functionality with all it's features and no bugs?

There are some bugs, to be sure. I find you can crash the program going back and forth between "EQ" and "Send" on the channel strip control panel, for example. I've just stopped using the send function. And there are oddities here and there.

However - and I say this as someone who's been a vocal critic of how quickly support for the vs700 was dropped - it's pretty damn close to "full functionality".

Certainly, the two things you mention, surround panner and the T-bar, both work perfectly well.

Can you describe what problems you're having more specifically? There are a few of us vs700 users that refuse to quit on these forums, and I'm sure we can help you out.

Ah, re-reading your post, I see you're not currently using CBB.

I suppose I'd say - it's free, so costs nothing to give it a go! Apart from time of course, which I realise is often a limited resource.

But to answer your main question, fundamentally, all the big key features work. I use it all day every day to make a living, so that's one person's experience. There are quirks and annoyances, but aren't there always.

I can't speak to the video editing experience, if you're talking about the integration with other hardware and all that. Outside of my area. But like I say, it's free to try. And I'd guess at that stuff being fairly standard Roland / Edirol integration anyway. Decent odds that Cakewalk's implementation of stuff makes little difference to that.

Edited by John T

• 4 weeks later...

Just sharing...

I am using the VS-700C with two (2) VS-700Rs and two (2) Echo Audio Layla's hooked in through the light pipe using Windows 10 (latest build). 99.?% of the700C control surface and the 700R's features/functionality are working flawlessly (for the most part) for me.

Some of this issues I experience have been: I sometimes receive .cwp projects that will crash my main system and I know it has something to do with audio driver and the 700R with the error that is referenced. I have a mobile rig that uses the Roland VS-100 which will open these projects without crashing (same Win ver, CakeWalk ver, Audio driver ver.). Seems to be something about where the .cwp was sourced and the VS-700R - perhaps? I usually will have the client resend it in a ProTools session and work it on my ProTools rig.

50% of the time I open a project (new or saved) and the master fader strip on the 700C console doesn't engage. To remedy this I close and relaunch Cakewalk (sometimes 3 or 4 times) and this gets the master fader to engage with the Cakewalk software. Checking this has become part of my work flow before starting any session - A minor annoyance.

There is an issue from the CakeWalk DAW interface engaging the Word Clock when slaving one of the 700Rs to the other which doesn't work. You have to actually do this from the external Roland VS-700 IO Editor application. This is probably a non-issue with most people, you have to have 2 of the 700Rs. I have saved profiles for my 700Rs on the IO Editor and launching this app and calling up those profiles prior to starting CakeWalk is just part of the workflow I have discovered/created. A minor annoyance.

The Fantom Synth editing can be a bit buggy, but for me I just use presets so its never been an issue for my workflow. Each of my 700Rs has as ARX card (Drums & Horns) and works without issues - just load them (Fantom or ARX) up as a virtual instrument.

What has changed over time with the DAW versions is the mappings of the VS-700C Channel Strip Control knobs. What I did was create a custom template and using  ACT, mapped the knobs to the various controls i.e. map the physical knobs to the software knobs on the ProChannel EQ section. This resolves that issue.

JohnT - I tried to crash mine with what you wrote 'going back and forth between "EQ" and "Send" on the channel strip control panel'  but I can't get it to crash on my system.

Everything else works as advertised! All the Inputs, all the outputs, MIDI, surround, SPDIF, T-Bar, all the buttons, all the knobs do exactly what they are supposed to do. I use close to 100% of the capabilities this system provides and have been very happy with it.

I hope y'all find some of this interesting/helpful. None of these items have been a deal breaker for me to stop using this rig.

Just Sharing...

I spent the time (lots) going through the steps to make my beloved VS-700 c/r work in Win10.  I had been working on Win7 since Sonar 8.5.   I was having the Prochannel EQ crashes when trying to make the console knobs do stuff.   But overall, once I installed X2 for the VS Utilities, it was mostly functional.

Then my 700 rack  USB section died.   Won't connect, blah blah.   Total loss.  I will NEVER buy another Roland product. 

I picked up a FocusRite Scarlett1820.   I know that's not the flagship, and it costs 1/8 what I spent on the VS rig.   But it sounds better.   And the control software is more versatile.

I managed to get the VS console driver installed, and it mostly works.  It still has it's quirks.  But I'm dealing.   I've decided that It's dumb to try to make the knobs drive the EQ anyway.     Transport and faders and the common buttons are really what I want to work and they do.   It's entirely maddening that Reaper will NOT see the console driver.  I'm so engrained in the CW/Sonar way I guess I don't care since CW is actively improving. 

TL/DNR Scarlett is a better sounding interface.  And the console is useable in Win10.

• 10 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:22 AM, Jean-Philippe ROGER said:

I am using the VS-700 C and VS-700 R set with Windows 10 and CBB without any problem. All audio features are still usable. You just need to install the modified driver to be compatible with Windows 10

Can you tell me where to download the "modified" driver for VS-700 to run under Windows 10?  I have both the 700R and 700C, but am still running under Win8.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, Fergiekl59 said:

Can you tell me where to download the "modified" driver for VS-700 to run under Windows 10?  I have both the 700R and 700C, but am still running under Win8.  Thanks.

AFAIK there is no modified driver to download, you just need to manually adjust the existing installation files so that Windows 10 will accept them.

It's detailed here on the old forum:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-use-V700-win-8-driver-in-win-10-also-applies-to-some-other-Roland-drivers-m3206046.aspx

• Like 1