How To Setup A Peavey Studiomix In Cakewalk By Bandlab?

albert williams

Question

Hello, if anyone can help me I would be grateful. I have a Peavey Studiomix, used it a few time on Windows xp with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 but my software got stolen so now I have Windows 10 and I'm trying to use it with Bandlab Cakewalk.   Thanks in advance.

Edited by albert williams
too long

I have a tutorial for installing and setting up the Tascam FW-1884 on my website. (link in my signature)
You can ignore most of it, just jump to setting up the Control Surface.
add_new_control_surface.jpg.3839ff153ecbb9262db18590493f05a3.jpg

HTH

tom

check your C drive Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Surfaces for StudioMix.dll
If its not there we can ask SCook how to get it installed...

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

If its not there we can ask SCook how to get it installed...

IDK much about controllers and their software.

IIRC the dlls were dropped from SONAR distributions some time ago so they are not part of the CbB installer either.

Here is a KB article that may help https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013438/Control-Surface-Installers

• Thanks 1

Hi scook, thanks for joining in to help me i appreciate it a lot. So I've downloaded the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins from the link you've provided but after I extracted it all and run it the following text appears .....Cannot locate the required version of this program on this system, Please install the correct version of the program to use this pack.

Good day, so I was told by support@cakewalk.com that it's the same way as setting up a Studiomix in Sonor and they would help me but they don't have a Studiomix on hand. If anyone has a Sonar manual and could link me pictures of the parts of the manual that shows how to setup a control surface in Sonar that would be amazing. In Pro Audio 9 it use to be a checkbox that you would have to click on in the console view to get a Studiomix working with it. Please and thank you.

I saw a copy of the Sonar manual online, it doesn't say any thing about StudioMix nor how to setup a control surface but I might get Microsoft to do a roll back to Windows 10 version 1511  for me and then try to install the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins software cause that version of Windows was out the year the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins software was released, I've managed to get StudioMix preset in Cakewalk By Bandlab but I guess it wouldn't work without the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins software installed cause Windows would need to recognize it. I hope I don't have to throw my StudioMix in the garbage cause it's to good, anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by albert williams

Ok, I see that Albert got his operational, but I don't see any mention of how.  How do I get a copy of studiomix.dll?  It would be quite helpful to have the file available for  Studiomix users, or have it as part of Cakewalk for Bandlab.  Please advise on how to get this dll.  

Thanks in advance,

Jim 

I googled studiomix.dll and found a copy online.   Studiomix appears to work in Generic Surface ACT controllers; however, the automatic sliders didn't work.  I can control the software sliders with the hardware on the studiomix, but the software doesn't control the hardware sliders.  Still, useable for sure.

5 minutes ago, Alain Duchaine said:

I need help to installl my Peavey Studiomix in Cakewalk, someone can help me ? 

• First ensure that the StudioMix is connected to its own dedicated MIDI interface - you can't daisy chain it with other controllers/keyboards. Ensure the MIDI out of the StudioMix is connected to the MIDI input of the interface, and the MIDI input of the StudioMix is connected to the MIDI output of the interface.
  • Press P to bring up preferences
  • Go to MIDI->Devices and ensure the MIDI ports  StudioMix is connected to are checked
  • Go to MIDI->Control Surfaces and click the yellow add button in the top right
  • On the Controller/Surface Settings dialog, pick "StudioMix" from the Controller/Surface dropdown (you should see it directly under VS700 ) and set the Input / Output ports to the StudioMix's MIDI ports.
  • Click OK on the Controller/Surfaces dialog
  • Click OK to close preferences

32 minutes ago, Alain Duchaine said:

I try to install Peavey Studio but i can’t see Studiomix in the list 

Did you check the link scook supplied at the beginning of this thread? It claims to have the controller installers which were separate from Sonar itself.

I have one. I have not used it in many years since losing my home and studio, but it’s buried in storage here somewhere. But it was working fine on My win8.1 system (current) last I tried with Sonar. CbB is on the same machine and it's available in my list.

@Alain Duchaine - As @Keni as pointed out, it seems the StudioMix control surface DLL's came as a part of a separate installer. 

Unfortunately, this installer won't work unless you have SONAR platinum installed.

I'm not sure if there are other reasons for not bundling it with CbB other than it being a legacy device - I'll need to double check with the guys in the US.

We certainly don't officially support it anymore though.

I'll PM you with the details on how to manually install this.

• Thanks 1