Our version of "Dont Believe a Word" by THIN LIZZY ( + New LIZZY Movie out this Autumn )

aidan o driscoll

We ( COLOURTIDE ) recorded this a while back. All recorded and mastered using CAKEWALK at the time.

Of course, being from Ireland and a Guitarist I am and we are huge THIN LIZZY / Phil Lynott Fans so we decided to do a version of that great track "DONT BELIEVE A WORD"

Guitars ( ME ), Bass, Vocals all live / real :D ... rest is keys played by myself, drum samples using Midi.

Hope you enjoy .. ( our interpretation may not be for the purists :D ) .. PLEASE turn it up:

http://www.tidalsound.com/mp3/dont believe a word.mp3

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

Wow!  I recently rediscovered Gary Moore and have been listening to his live version of this song for several months.  Of course, I came across  his work with Thin Lizzy and their version of this song.  When I heard you sing it, I was awed again.  I love the way you arranged this, which makes it uniquely yours while retaining the flavor of the original.  Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lynn said:

Wow!  I recently rediscovered Gary Moore and have been listening to his live version of this song for several months.  Of course, I came across  his work with Thin Lizzy and their version of this song.  When I heard you sing it, I was awed again.  I love the way you arranged this, which makes it uniquely yours while retaining the flavor of the original.  Well done.

Thanks @Lynn .. was a labour of love. I didnt sing it, that is our singer John Brennan. I did the guitars and Keys.

One of many brilliant tracks by Thin Lizzy and the great Phil Lynott. Whom I was lucky to see live twice in my home city CORK back in  the  80s .. and then also Phil lynott himself live twice in Cork City at a different fantastic venue called SIR HENRYS ( where early days Nirvana played before they got too famous ).

As an aside in the early 90s we supported Rory Gallagher in Cork City at what was called The lark by the Lee ( outdoors, open air. The Lee is the river flowing through Cork City )

I once had the pleasure of getting extremely pissed with Phil Lynott and the rest of Thin Lizzy after a Gig in a local club

When their road crew failed to appear who thought the gig had been cancelled.  We help them load their gear up three flights of stairs, no lift

We then had to take it back down again which was quite hilarious.  Mr Lynott could certainly drink.

Sounds OK here well done.

• Haha 2

I don't know the original, so nothing to compare it to here.  Sounds good.  As good as the vox sound and really leap out in a  good way, I might be inclined to back it off a tiny bit, or automate volume where it's slightly too loud in places (IMO). My only real crit is that the drums could use some variation. Feels a bit like you did all the hard work with the other tracks and then just threw a loop in for drums, cut a couple of pauses into it and called it done. Then again, maybe it's supposed to be like that and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys,

Yes I agree about the drums. This was done a few years back.

I am now considering reopening the project and remixing + sort the drums. Result will be posted here when done

AN FYI .. the pic in my avatar. I am on the right, sitting and the SINGER ( who sang this, John Brennan ) is on the left standing, white top