Craig Anderton

20 Essential, Time-Saving Tips for Cakewalk By BandLab

I think number 5 needs attention

Hitting the Function keys associated with the While the Smart, Move, or Edit tool (function keys F5-F7) is already selected, hitting its associated Function key toggles between that tool and whichever tool you used last.

didn't read through them all as I don't use CbB.

13 hours ago, Fret Flintstone said:

I think number 5 needs attention

didn't read through them all as I don't use CbB.

Fixed the typo, thanks! Note that the tips apply to Sonar as well.

@Craig Anderton, Nice to see you posting on the forum once more.  We've missed you here and missed your columns in Sound On Sound.  Just yesterday I read a post wondering about the absence  of your Sound On Sound column .

6 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Fixed the typo, thanks! Note that the tips apply to Sonar as well.

I don't use that either, it's just cclarry and the deals forum, I just caught shortened version of the thread tittle and had a peak, don't usually venture out of the basement.

Glad you fixed it, (not that it bothers me, eg, I'm happy with 2 to ot too) it just didn't make sense as it was, still understandable, and I know how much importance you put on these things, and you are usually on the mark.

• Like 1

Funny, I would have thought Track and Project templates would have been #1 and #2 respectively.

Track templates especially save time when you are dealing with Reaktor instruments.  I actually clocked this on an older machine of mine.  It took about six seconds for me to drag a template and have it instantiate whichever instrument I was testing at the time.   It took over a minute to load Reaktor, find the ensemble, and load the patch.

With project templates, I always like to have a quick load template, for those moments when I wake up in the morning with a crazy idea.  In many cases it might make sense to have a template which relies on multi-gigabyte libraries.  However, when inspiration strikes, you don't want to be waiting on your instruments to load.  In those cases, I use Battery with a small drum library, a couple of audio tracks (some for guitar, some for vocals), a couple of simple synths, and maybe TTS for basic instruments.

On 9/7/2020 at 12:59 PM, Jim Fogle said:

@Craig Anderton, Nice to see you posting on the forum once more.  We've missed you here and missed your columns in Sound On Sound.  Just yesterday I read a post wondering about the absence  of your Sound On Sound column .

It doesn't look like the Sound on Sound column will be coming back any time soon, they said not enough of their readers use Cakewalk to justify the space. I miss writing it, so I was hoping MusicTech would want to pick it up (Meng's company owns the magazine), but that didn't pan out. At the moment, the only place I have to put Cakewalk articles is on my craiganderton.org web site (although the Cakewalk by BandLab tips book is still available on craiganderton.com).

I do continue to post in the forum, but basically, I just scan the threads and see if any have topics where I might be able to help. It seems the regulars have everything under control, and of course, Steve Cook is a national treasure for Cakewalk users. :) 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, Craig Anderton said:

Steve Cook is a national treasure for Cakewalk users. :) 

Yes, he has ben assimilated. 

I think it's common knowledge by now that Steve is really a rogue subroutine written by Greg Hendershott that somehow became sentient, and learned how to post replies on the forum. :)

• Haha 1