Recorded Tracks Are Offset / Not in Correct Position

DCMG

Thank you  for reminding us about the Steinberg "Generic Low Latency ASIO driver".  I avoided installing it when demo'ing Cubase back in 2017.  I noticed it recently appeared in my CbB device preferences.  Fortunately, it wasn't being used.  But, why and how was it installed?   Apparently when I decided to try Dorico  (Steinberg's notation software),  that sneaky driver was installed.   The uninstaller got rid of it  (located under the Windows Program and Features window).

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I think there's some confusion here as the OP's  claimed he does not have any other drivers listed. , the screen shot was from Roger who is also having an issue and definitely needs to nuke the Steinberg driver.  

The OP is using a complicated set up with 2 interfaces involve. To test I would go direct from the Apollo via USB and see if the problem persists. 

OP here. I get what you are saying...but the setup I'm using is not unusual.

Apollo USB is the only interface my system is seeing.

The Presonus 192 is being used simply as a set of converters for 4 (nice) outboard mic pres.

That way my Daw sees the analog ins of the Apollo along with the optical ins supplied by the 192.

Not sure why externally clocking the Apollo would be the culprit, but I might try the test just to be sure.

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

The OP is using a complicated set up with 2 interfaces involve. To test I would go direct from the Apollo via USB and see if the problem persists. 

It'not "complicated" at all. There is only one wire coming from audio interface to PC. It's normal to use ADAT interfaces to add I/O and to provide clock sync. I have been doing this with Cakewalk & SONAR over 15 years.

I have seen similar looping related sync offset issue many times. More probable cause for this particular problem is high latency plug-ins that messing Cakewalk's internal buffers in loop mode (or similar).

9 hours ago, panup said:

It'not "complicated" at all. There is only one wire coming from audio interface to PC. It's normal to use ADAT interfaces to add I/O and to provide clock sync. I have been doing this with Cakewalk & SONAR over 15 years.

I have seen similar looping related sync offset issue many times. More probable cause for this particular problem is high latency plug-ins that messing Cakewalk's internal buffers in loop mode (or similar).

This is a really good point. I've been looking at some of those plugins to see if there's common culprits. 

Every project I have probably has Fabfilter EQ, Maag EQ,  RenComp, Concrete Limiter ( this is often in place before real limiting on mixdown, and I try never to have this on during tracking but worth chasing down to be sure). There are others, but those are literally on every project  in some measure.

I've had it happen on a project where no software instruments are in place, so I think I can rule those out.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:53 AM, msmcleod said:

The device in the "Record Latency Adjustment" must match the device you're using for record/playback, else all the timing will be off.

Uninstall the Steinberg "Generic Low Latency ASIO driver" if you can - it causes no end of issues, and isn't required (even for Cubase) if you've got an interface that has a native ASIO driver.

Mark, 

Even after uninstalling the Steinberg Low latency driver, we still can't alter the Record Latency Adjustment setting: whatever we do, it reverts to using the latency reported by the first ASIO driver in the list. 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, DCMG said:

This is a really good point. I've been looking at some of those plugins to see if there's common culprits. 

Every project I have probably has Fabfilter EQ, Maag EQ,  RenComp, Concrete Limiter ( this is often in place before real limiting on mixdown, and I try never to have this on during tracking but worth chasing down to be sure). There are others, but those are literally on every project  in some measure.

I've had it happen on a project where no software instruments are in place, so I think I can rule those out.

We get the problems but don't use any of these plugins. (We're just using ProChannel, Adaptive Limiter, LP-64 Multiband compressor and BT De-esser)

We get the problems but don't use any of these plugins. (We're just using ProChannel, Adaptive Limiter, LP-64 Multiband compressor and BT De-esser)

Those 2 for sure need to be bypassed when tracking and my guess is the adaptive limiter too. Pro Channel is generally OK. 

For me if I have any of the BT stuff or the LP 64 I will definitely suffer latency when tracking. 

• 4 weeks later...

At Freed's request, we've removed all other ASIO drivers and uninstalled other hardware, removed some plugins, cut the Toslink audio connection, and changed the Sync settings from 'Full Chase Lock' to 'Trigger & Freewheel', but still get the problem from time to time.

Looks like we're not alone.:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/20336-recording-delayed/