Anyone else surprised at the dearth of sales this holiday weekend? (Not a deal)

smallstonefan

Just now, Larry Shelby said:

I'm waiting on a sale on upgrades to S1 5 Pro...still running 4.6 and don't
pay retail for upgrades...

And still waiting for all the dust to settle on the new release. S14 has more features than I know how to use anyway, so I'm good!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

I started to do a thread about it...but it's pretty self evident...
pretty sad really...

why sad? you think its associated with  economic affets of COVID shutdown on developers?

Just now, telecode 101 said:

why sad? you think its associated with  economic affets of COVID shutdown on developers?

Could be...but you would think under the circumstances that they'd be trying sell MORE so
have more, and better sales...but hey, what do I know?

• Like 1

Just now, telecode 101 said:

you think its associated with  economic affets of COVID shutdown on developers?

Not on developers, IT guys are particularly fortunate in this current situation.  Maybe moreso on the disposable income for all the musicians and users who buy the stuff. (?)

• Like 2

Actually my belief is multi-fold

1)  We actually have MORE people creating content currently - since they are stuck at home with more "free" time.  Thus there are demands for music and content creation tools.

2)  Developers of these small shops have business as usual as these are operations that can continue on

3)  Some less disposable income overall - but honestly not as big of a percentage as many people would suggest.  The percent of people actually unemployed (in the USA anyway) is what 8% or so right now?  And those that were unemployment getting more unemployment benefits than ever.  There was even a report that suggests the majority of the unemployed actually got a pay raise by being on unemployment than actually having the job they had before unemployment.  

4)  Sales drive revenue in good times or bad - that is what is surprising here a lack of obvious sales and to me that tends to suggest many developers are not feeling the pinch.

Edited by Brian Walton

6 hours ago, Larry Shelby said:

I started to do a thread about it...but it's pretty self evident...
pretty sad really...

I'm thinking of adding S1 to my cut list.  Too many DAWs even though v5 seems like a nice upgrade.

Just now, Paul Young said:

I'm thinking of adding S1 to my cut list.  Too many DAWs even though v5 seems like a nice upgrade.

I've considered that also, but sadly resale on S1 is very poor....most sell for between $100 to $150 if 
you're lucky....it's almost as bad as IK and Waves

There's been a lot of summer sales this year (though to be honest, they weren't nearly as good as previous years. Most single products averaged about $10-$20 cheaper in previous years) and I think a lot of the developers are a bit concerned about the uncertain future that is coming and wanted to make sure they had a little more in case the money is all gone by November if things end up closing back up.

The smarter thing I feel would have been to go a bit lower and have more sales than to go higher and have less but I don't think they were much higher that it would have made much a difference. Everyone is just concerned about where things are going. It's going to be a very interesting holiday season this year.

• Like 1

Yeah there are a lot of nice sales, but I'm saving mine up for Orb Producer Suite.  I can use EZKeys/bass, Liquid Music,  or Chord Prism to do the same thing, but I do like to support the developers whenever I can.  I could probably find it useful, but more than likely end collecting dust like a lot of other plugins I felt that I needed.

Still some deals are just hard to pass by, and so I can never pass up those super deals.

17 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

3)  Some less disposable income overall - but honestly not as big of a percentage as many people would suggest.  The percent of people actually unemployed (in the USA anyway) is what 8% or so right now?  And those that were unemployment getting more unemployment benefits than ever.  There was even a report that suggests the majority of the unemployed actually got a pay raise by being on unemployment than actually having the job they had before unemployment.  

A lot of modern musicians come from a background of working retail  & services while studying, both of which have laid off a lot of people.
And IIRC around a quarter US small businesses are pretty much on the verge of closing up shop.
Federal "keep people employed" money just ran dry and September has just started.
Several airlines have massive layoffs just around the corner.
That 8% unemployment is at risk of going up pretty fast.

Edited by Cristian

We have not many tools to observe what's going on market or at all.

I think one of the best is group buy comparison. How they are growing comparing to previous ones as we have some exact numbers there. Number of people, time...

I have strong impression this year IK group buy was progressing much slower but on the other side it could be result of less interests in this year offer which was different than before.

Many people are more insecure this year so holding back their purchases. But on the other side as Brian mentioned there are much more great content and people locked at homes so stimulating many people to buy something...

I am buying this year less before but still buying... But lots of 'new' people locked at their homes looking at content probably was infected  GAS...

So my guess is cheaper software could be selling great but pricier worse.... But who knows... Locked are home people have more time to develop their passion. And lots of people buying music software are not music professionals so have still their income secured despite hard times for musicians...

2 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i think i paid 129 to go from 3 --> 5

not sure it ever goes below 99?

They usually have a half off, or 33% off sale, every now and then...
I can't wait...I'm in no hurry....I can get it for $125 now...but not
will to spend that much unless absolutely necessary....