OB-Xd

cclarry

This one is actually available for free. It is an open source project, but the "developer" hides that fact on his website. When you buy it for $24.50 or $49.00, you are not actually buying a license to use it, you are just supporting further development. That is okay if you want to do that,  but I wish the developer was more upfront about it. 

11 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

I was trying to find what limitations are there for the free/demo versions of the various synths at discodsp but it wasn't very clear. It looks like it could be a commercial vs non-commercial use limitation but GPLv2 doesn't really allow limiting the use, only the distribution

It seems that the developer only has two projects on github, OB-Xd and OPL. So that leads me to believe that the others from Disco DSP  are commercial synths.

https://github.com/reales

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

I was trying to find what limitations are there for the free/demo versions of the various synths at discodsp but it wasn't very clear. It looks like it could be a commercial vs non-commercial use limitation but GPLv2 doesn't really allow limiting the use, only the distribution

There is no limitations on the free version of OB-Xd. It is the same product as the "paid for" version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last week you could just click to left of price on discodsp website and download the respective version for free since it’s open source or pay if you wanted to contribute.  Not sure when this changed but this weekend they now link to adsr for me.  So maybe they found a loophole to charge if hosted on another site?  Not sure.

1 hour ago, kevin H said:

Last week you could just click to left of price on discodsp website and download the respective version for free since it’s open source or pay if you wanted to contribute.  Not sure when this changed but this weekend they now link to adsr for me.  So maybe they found a loophole to charge if hosted on another site?  Not sure.

Go back up a few posts and @Doug Rintoulhas posted the link to the open source versions on the developer's site at github.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1