Sonar Platinum crashing

Guit Solo

Recently I moved into Windows 10. Things had been going quite normal. I even re-installed previous Sonar versions like X3 and things had been fine for the most part. However, there's this soft synth from Korg, the M-1 which was opening fine within Platinum while on Windows 7 and also using it on X3. It happens now, if I decide to use it within Platinum on Windows 10; after you select the synth and as soon as you open it, Platinum crashes and it closes itself. It never did such before...

I re-installed the synth thinking it was the synth but after I tried it again within  X3 and even another DAW called Studio One, the M-1 responded as expected. Of course I concluded that the issue is within Platinum. I sure need some suggestions about how to look for some kind of way around it...

Thank you,

GS

Might as well add CbB to the mix. Then at least you will have a supported DAW.

WRT M1, I tested it in 64bit X3e Producer, SONAR Platinum 2017.10 and CbB 2020.08 on Win10 Home v1909.

It loaded and played OK.

I am using M1 v1.8.4 from Korg Collection 2

If you are using an older version of M1 consider getting the free update. The new UIs are worth the trouble. Here is a thread about it

On 9/6/2020 at 5:16 AM, scook said:

If you are using an older version of M1 consider getting the free update. The new UIs are worth the trouble. Here is a thread about it

The have also updated their old flaky authorization system too with a application called Korg Software pass.   I can confirm that the latest version is working for me on Windows 10 in both Sonar Platinum and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

First of all, thank you for all you guys information. This is what I have done and yet no success,

1-I was able to to get the more up to date M1 version. It works great as a stand alone

2- I also brought on board CbB which is quite close to Platinum and I'm getting acquainted with it

However, Both Platinum and CbB are still crashing when the M1 comes along. This means it's possible to add the M1 to an instrument track but as soon as I try to open the synth to hear something, the DAWs crash. It's really sad and frustrating as the M1 is full of great sounds. Once again. any suggestions would be appreciated

8 minutes ago, Guit Solo said:

First of all, thank you for all you guys information. This is what I have done and yet no success,

1-I was able to to get the more up to date M1 version. It works great as a stand alone

2- I also brought on board CbB which is quite close to Platinum and I'm getting acquainted with it

However, Both Platinum and CbB are still crashing when the M1 comes along. This means it's possible to add the M1 to an instrument track but as soon as I try to open the synth to hear something, the DAWs crash. It's really sad and frustrating as the M1 is full of great sounds. Once again. any suggestions would be appreciated

Are you getting any crash errors when the crash occurs, that might indicate the source of the crash?

Probably time to start investigating audio drivers, sample rates, etc.

What are you using for audio and what are the settings?

On 9/7/2020 at 6:48 PM, abacab said:

Are you getting any crash errors when the crash occurs, that might indicate the source of the crash?

Probably time to start investigating audio drivers, sample rates, etc.

What are you using for audio and what are the settings?

Information follow up ,

1-I've trying to do some clean up of the older files of the previous version of the M-1 but even so, not much progress was made

2-Recently I got a DAW called Studio One from Positive Grid; it's a nice thing but it doesn't bring on board all the plugins that Cakewalk is able to bring on board. However, the M1 doesn't make it crash and it responds as expected. The interface I have used for years made by Digitech with ASIO drivers has been solid with this DAW and also with Cakewalk, as along as I don't bring the M-1 on board on Cakewalk. However, I was using Platinum with this same interface with a Windows 7 computer and the M-1 on previous version was responding as expected. Everything was solid. The whole thing has gotten difficult when I transitioned to Windows 10 but the crash issue has been happening only when the M1 comes along

3- CbB and Platinum, even Studio One are functioning  at 64 samples/ 44.1 KHz/ 5.60/247 samples with the interface I use with ASIO drivers.  Also using 44100 sampling rate

4-Platinum brings the choice to send crash information to Cakewalk but when I follow the procedure it takes me to the older Cakewalk website and becomes a dead end street

5-CbB just closes itself

6-Studio One doesn't do anything because the M-1 responds as expected

7-The M-1 responds as a stand alone without any issues

8- Computer specs are;
      Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-9300H/CPU@ 2.40 GHz with 16GB RAM/ Windows 10 Pro

9-Something curious is that, sometimes I use Studio One and bring the M-1 on board. Then I close Studio One and open CbB; bringing the M-1 on board again and there's no crash.

10-Over all, still exploring and trying to figure this thing out and see about making it functional. Of course, any suggestions would help

Thanks again,

GS

09092020_152147.dmp

Edited by Guit Solo

3 hours ago, Guit Solo said:

10-Over all, still exploring and trying to figure this thing out and see about making it functional. Of course, any suggestions would help

Take a look at this free utility. AppCrashView. It may give you some insight to the faulting module.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

Edited by abacab

So your crash shows the following as a module loaded by SONAR Platinum:

*a:\program files (x86)\Cakewalk\shared dxi\AAS\M1\M1.dll

Which is all kinds of weird.  I'm not sure why it's a DirectX plugin?  And why the crash says it's loading off of drive a: (which is also the path for asio4all) (crash paths can be wrong/broken though but it's very odd)

I also see GroovePlayer.dll loaded (it's buggy, don't use it) and two ASIO drivers (ASIO4ALL which is never a good idea) and a DigiTech GNX3000 ASIO driver.

I don't think you are loading anything close to the current Korg M1 VST plugin or if you are I can't understand why it's installed in the shared dxi directory?

I suspect you need to correctly configure SONAR/CbB (ideally you really need to let Platinum go) to load plugins from the correct directories.  You also may need to clean out a bunch of Cakewalk shared directories.  I don't recommend installing 3rd party plugins into the same directories as Cakewalk's internal plugins.

Most likely what your running in Studio One isn't the same thing your running inside SONAR/Cakewalk which is why it works for Studio One and not for Cakewalk.

I'm willing to bet your crash is almost certainly software installation/configuration based.  Uninstall things.  Delete directories  Reinstall in a clean an organized manner.  Reset SONAR/Cakewalk configurations and paths and set them to the correct ones.  For example I recommend picking simple directories to install plugins to.  Here's what I'm using:

32-bit plugins install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2

64-bit plugins install to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2

VST3 plugins are always supposed to be installed in these directories, even if some vendors will let you change this, doing so is never a good idea:

32-bit VST3 install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

64-bit VST3 install to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

You may also need to reinstall various Microsoft C++ runtime DLLs and/or update Windows.  Which can sometimes help these kinds of crashes.

After reading all the details Matt provided. After doing more homework. After following Matt's suggestions and ABACAB's suggestions. After re-installing the M-1 and re-installing CbB which recently went through an update. The M-1 is opening as usual. The funny thing is, I discovered I have to avoid making a double click within CbB when I open the M-1, in order to avoid the crash/freeze of the DAW itself...

It took me forever to figure it out. It happens I've been using a different and newer computer because of Windows 10, which somehow it appears to respond to a softer touch or more sensitive one compared to the one I used with Windows 7. The things I have to get use to in order to make songs happen.

You guys have no idea about the relief I'm going through. You guys have helped me a great deal  and I sure thank the One Above most of all. I hope  I can come back with better news next time...

Thank you so much to all of you for dropping by with your support,

GS

1 hour ago, Guit Solo said:

You guys have no idea about the relief I'm going through. You guys have helped me a great deal  and I sure thank the One Above most of all.

Glad to hear that it's working again!

@Matthew Sorrelsis a regular CSI detective when it comes to Cakewalk, and @scookis a virtual walking encyclopedia for all things Cakewalk. I'm not even certain he is human. Maybe a bot. Something  dreamed up by Greg Hendershott to augment tech support back in the day?

In any case it's fun and educational to watch them in action. 😁