Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo

jwnicholson78

Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo is a famous song originally written by Fayyaz Hashmi.  It's based on Yaman Kalyani raga.

It's one of my father-in-law's favorite songs and he requested I record it, so this is my piano arrangement.  As always, comments, suggestions, and criticisms are appreciated.

Update : Based on the comments I softened the piano sound, played with the EQ, adjusted the midi velocities to try and smooth out the sound.  Oh, and I also let the final notes fade out.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

@jwnicholson78 have you considered trying on an Electric piano, that softness that @mark skinner suggests might come naturally there.

nicely played by the way.

Interesting suggestion.  Thanks!  I was thinking of trying different piano presets in Kontakt to try and soften the sound, but this is also something I will give a go.  Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 4:10 AM, Philip G Hunt said:

From the opening, you had me.

I love need some piano. Lovely variation and phrasing. Def some Jarrett in there somewhere.

Great job. 👍

Thanks so much, Philip.  I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.  And the Jarrett reference! :)

14 minutes ago, markno999 said:

Didn't hear the original version before your updates, but this one sounds really good.    Not familiar with the original song either but really well done.

Regards

Thanks, Mark!

There are like a billion versions on Youtube of this song but many of them (especially the older ones) I frankly find difficult to listen to.  The one below however is excellent, and the one I used as the jumping off point for my arrangement.  The lyrics are, roughly, about two lovers not wanting to part from each other.

Edited by jwnicholson78

16 hours ago, Wookiee said:

That is definitely gentler on the furry ears, though I would still like to hear an EP version, just my furry ears, this is a pleasant tune that makes my furry ears smile.

Aaj Jaane EP.mp3

By popular request  here's an EP version for those with furry ears.  I played with it a little to clean it up, but I think to really do it properly, I would have to go in and work on the pedaling and some of the voicings.   I've never really played much EP, but it seems that what works on a piano doesn't necessarily translate directly to an electric piano.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jwnicholson78 said:

EP version for those with furry ears

Thank you and it definitely fits the piece.

What EP do you use? 

Unfortunately I can hear you got caught by a classic EP trap.  EP's need some careful EQ to tame the way the top of the key board can become very bright and the bass can get its growl on easily.  The Bass can really fill out and overpower the rest if you are not careful.

• 2 weeks later...