My new video: EZBASS vs ujam's VIRTUAL BASSIST (Not a Deal)

Reid Rosefelt

I've been working on this video for weeks.  I'm taking the step of posting it here because I know many of you are very interested in both of these instruments.

As it's long, here's a list of the chapters.  I don't think the hyperlinks work, but the ones in the YouTube description do.

Importing Music 1:28

ujam Virtual Bassist User Interface 3:31

EZBass User Interface 7:13

Making a Song with EZBass 12:50

Exporting MIDI from EZBass 21:50

Making a Song with ujam Virtual Bassist 22:49

Playing Live with ujam Virtual Bassist 28:27

Fretboard Logic 31:47

Effects 35:36

History of the Virtual Bass 39:18

Final Thoughts 44:10

As part of my research, I even took Eli Krantzberg's Groove3 course on EZBass, which I recommend. So I feel confident that you will learn a thing or two about these instruments if you check out my video, because I share what I learned from him.

EZBass is complex, so I do a deep dive on it.     The best part for that is "Making a Song With EZBass."

ujam instruments are deceptively simple, so I do my best to paint a picture of the amazing artificial intelligence inside them.   If you watch all of this, I believe you will have newfound admiration for what ujam has achieved

My favorite part of the video by far is Playing Live with ujam Virtual Bassist.  This is a duet between ujam's Dandy and NI's Picked Acoustic.

FULL DISCLOSURE: THERE IS AN AFFILIATE LINK TO UJAM IN THE DESCRIPTION UNDER MY YOUTUBE VIDEO.  BUT NOT HERE!!!

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 11

Even in my most dire of financial times I kept my 1976 Alembic Series I bass.

I've since added a custom 5-String, Precision, Rick 4003, Hofner Ignition, Line 6 Modeling bass, Squier Jazz fretless, Kala Uke Bass, 1971 Gibson EB-3.

And of course, EZBass and all the U-Jam Basses.

Although there are a number of excellent basses to choose from I think my last bass to buy will be a Danelectro long horn. It's kitschy man.

WRT to guitars I own a 1980's Japanese CBS Strat, a custom body Tele (all Fender parts though) and  Line 6 JTV. I think the last two guitars I'd like to own are a LP and and SG.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for subscribing.  Now I need to make a lot more videos.   A few dozen more and it might add up to something. 

The problem is that I prefer to do deep dives over first looks.  So they take too much time. 

But I learned a lot doing this one.  A few tips:  Remember to  turn your lights on.  😄  Don't do a long video without turning on OBS.  Maybe don't step on your expensive lav mic and obliterate it.  🤬

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

But I learned a lot doing this one.  A few tips:  Remember to  turn your lights on.  😄  Don't do a long video without turning on OBS.  Maybe don't step on your expensive lav mic and obliterate it.  🤬

It is indeed a trial by fire 🔥 

One time I heat hearing something strange and could not figure out what it was. I then realized after the video when I went to take my lav mic from my shirt, I realized it was never attached, it had fallen down next to the sustain pedal under the table.🤣😂🤣😂🤣

My wife has suggested putting a checklist together, which I have done but just forget to check it before I get started 😳

Subbed as well, keep up the great work, and always remember to turn on your lava lights before you start.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

It is indeed a trial by fire 🔥 

One time I heat hearing something strange and could not figure out what it was. I then realized after the video when I went to take my lav mic from my shirt, I realized it was never attached, it had fallen down next to the sustain pedal under the table.🤣😂🤣😂🤣

My wife has suggested putting a checklist together, which I have done but just forget to check it before I get started 😳

Subbed as well, keep up the great work, and always remember to turn on your lava lights before you start.

And I subscribed to you as well.  I can't wait to watch your World Suite 2 video.  You stream live.  Wow.  You are a very brave man.  I'd be lost without all the editing I do.

I'm sure I have lots of catastrophes ahead, but one does learn from every mistake.

Thanks for your kind words.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, antler said:

I think that's when you get the option of choosing whether or not you want to monetise your videos

Ah ok ... well monetising is useless unless you have a very lot of views ....

On 9/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, Reid Rosefelt said:

I've been working on this video for weeks.  I'm taking the step of posting it here because I know many of you are very interested in both of these instruments.

Very nice Reid! Thank you for the effort!

I was particularly interested in the duet you did with the strummed acoustic and the UJAM bass. I can see the potential for that! I was wondering how best to sync up the bass changes with existing tracks, and this looks like an intriguing solution!

Can you please provide some details of that setup? I can guess, but it would be nice to know how you routed the MIDI and setup the UJAM bass...

6 hours ago, Zo said:

Ah ok ... well monetising is useless unless you have a very lot of views ....

Google/YouTube's search algorithm also gives higher search results for monetized accounts/videos.  So not only does it (perhaps) generate the YouTuber money it also increases their visibility, which generates more views, which generates more money.  This same cycle also plays out in pretty much every creative field (music, video games, movies, TV shows, books, etc), which is why it is so hard for something new /unique/special to ever break out.  Popular content is the only content.  Next thing you know all restaurants are Taco Bell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1