Vinyl Boy - no midi output?

jono grant

Hi, I'm trying out a vst called "vinyl boy", it will "scratch" a wave file via the mod wheel. (Turntable effect)

Anyhow,  there is no  "enable midi input" in the plugin properties. (I believe because it's not a VST 3 plugin.)

Everyone in the videos are able to use it.... am I missing something? Can can it receive midi data if it's vst 2?

thanks

Jono

Comments written yesterday but not posted: I was curious about this, so I found, downloaded, and installed a demo version (1.09 from 2006). I put it in the fx bin on the audio track of a vsti. I tried a number of settings for the 3 knobs. My usb keyboard's modulation wheel is clearly going to the midi track. I hear the lfo modulation of the vsti, but Vinyl Boy doesn't scratch. I do hear the white noise, so I know it is in my audio chain.

Maybe someone else can get it to work in Cakewalk

New comments: Today I tried routing the audio portion of a vsti to a stereo bus and putting "Vinyl X" in the fx bin there.  As far as the vsti, that works as expected.  Plus, the bus has the vsti audio and the white noise from the demo version of the fx.  My mod wheel affects the vsti audio, but there is no scratching effect.

image.png.80cc0be2b28acdf01a074f5515e13614.png   image.png.7b8a6504e0ea0c89b2725a2d94d17433.png

Cakewalk seems to see it as a 32-bit audio FX plug-in with 2 ins and 2 outs.  The three knobs show up as FX controls where you would expect them to show up.

I have not tried tweaking properties, yet.

ADDENDUM: Convert to FX Chain works; in and out levels seem to work. I could probably add the 3 knobs, but that won't help with the MIDI Issue. Just showing here that Cakewalk can display audio in and audio out. The white noise indicating it is a demo plug-in only shows up on the output.

image.png.d24801fb2252a553f927dc3d0590817a.png

BTW, the manual says it is for Windows 95 thru Windows XP.  

System requirements:
- Processor Pentium 4/AMD 1500 MHz or better
- RAM 128 MB or more
- Free disc space 3 MB of hard disk space
- Operating System Windows 95 to Windows XP
- Host Application Cubase SX/SL, Nuendo (1.5 or higher) or other VST 2.0 compatible host application.
- MIDI Controller with modulation-wheel and pitch-bend controllers is recommended.

Maybe it will work on an XP PC?

Edited by User 905133
to add fx chain showing in and out levels

1 hour ago, John said:

Its a 32 bit plugin.  That could be a problem for you.  But try to enable it as an instrument.  This may not work though. It will work for DX plugins.

I tried enabling as an instrument but then it won't show up as a plugin.  I'm hip to midi in and out... I use vocoders and such. This one doesn't have the vst3 (or vst2) drop down on the plugin, so there's no option to enable midi ins/outs. Their manual says the output should just show up.... I guess it's too old to work in win 10 properly.

There might be a way... gotta think about it 

38 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Comments written yesterday but not posted: I was curious about this, so I found, downloaded, and installed a demo version (1.09 from 2006). I put it in the fx bin on the audio track of a vsti. I tried a number of settings for the 3 knobs. My usb keyboard's modulation wheel is clearly going to the midi track. I hear the lfo modulation of the vsti, but Vinyl Boy doesn't scratch. I do hear the white noise, so I know it is in my audio chain.

Maybe someone else can get it to work in Cakewalk

New comments: Today I tried routing the audio portion of a vsti to a stereo bus and putting "Vinyl X" in the fx bin there.  As far as the vsti, that works as expected.  Plus, the bus has the vsti audio and the white noise from the demo version of the fx.  My mod wheel affects the vsti audio, but there is no scratching effect.

image.png.80cc0be2b28acdf01a074f5515e13614.png   image.png.7b8a6504e0ea0c89b2725a2d94d17433.png

Cakewalk seems to see it as a 32-bit audio FX plug-in with 2 ins and 2 outs.  The three knobs show up as FX controls where you would expect them to show up.

I have not tried tweaking properties, yet.

ADDENDUM: Convert to FX Chain works; in and out levels seem to work. I could probably add the 3 knobs, but that won't help with the MIDI Issue. Just showing here that Cakewalk can display audio in and audio out. The white noise indicating it is a demo plug-in only shows up on the output.

image.png.d24801fb2252a553f927dc3d0590817a.png

BTW, the manual says it is for Windows 95 thru Windows XP.  

Maybe it will work on an XP PC?

Interesting. I wonder if it only likes to work with a rendered wave file on an audio track rather than on a vsti? You might be right with XP but I'd like to have it as part of my work flow on win 10. 

Simple program but most of the scratching vsts are all programming based, you can't use a mod wheel and just scratch yourself, live. That's what I like about this one. hmmmm. Thanks

34 minutes ago, jono grant said:

Interesting. I wonder if it only likes to work with a rendered wave file on an audio track rather than on a vsti? You might be right with XP but I'd like to have it as part of my work flow on win 10. 

I didn't mention it but I also tried it with a loop (wav file) I dropped into a track.  That didn't work either.  Right now my XP PC is not accessible, otherwise I would have tried it.  Other things I tried (without success): combining the split audio track (didn't think that would affect anything), using automation tracks for the 3 knobs--since they exposed to Cakewalk (didn't think that would work either), I even tried editing some Modulation CCs to different CCs in Event View (didn't think that would work either because the manual clearly says to use "Modulation." I did not try different midi channels, though.

2. You are going to use your modulation wheel for scratching, so you have to send MIDI to Vinyl Boy. Open a MIDI track on your host sequencer, and send the
output of that MIDI track to Vinyl Boy (Vinyl Boy is listening to all midi channels so there is no need to select a specific midi channel). [emphasis added]

I mention all these in case it helps someone think of other possibilities.  

Please Note: because Vinyl Boy uses delay modulation, the audio material on your track can be delayed according to your modulation wheel position.

Not sure what they mean here (above); maybe someone else might know if "delay modulation" (whatever that is) is affected by some Cakewalk setting.  I tend to either use lfo modulation or map the CC to another controllable parameter.  

Good luck with it!! (If I think of anything else, I will give it a try--because for me, its more fun than Soduko, Cryptograms, and other sorts of diversions.  🙂

Edited by User 905133