Lucky Me

Douglas Kirby

8 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Doug - like this, really good track - the only thing I would say is I did find the cymbal crashes a splashy, if you know what I mean! When you output from Addictive Drums, do you output the individual tracks then process on a drum bus, or just output the final track - I haven't used Addictive Drums in some time, but if I remember it was a bit long-winded (PITA)  to output the individual outputs correctly.

Anyway apart from that, good stuff

Nigel

\

Thanks Nigel - I'll give those cymbals another listen. Regarding AD2, I just output the final track on a drum buss - I do my mixing using the mixer in AD2. Thanks for listening.

7 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Your guitar playing is  tasteful.  Do you improvise while tracking the vocals?  The flute part is right out of the 60's, nice.    Your output is amazing, working on volume 3?  :D:D

Thanks for your kind comments David - I appreciate it. Improvise while tracking vocals - I just sing what seems right for the song - and I'm always changing the lyrics as I go along. Also, I try to figure out what the best mic is for the song.

• Like 1

Stream of consciousness here... all just my humble opinions...

• Nice shuffle, I love the sound of the lead guitar.
  • Cymbal hits seem a bit much between lines of the verse.
  • Chorus feels a little crowded. Maybe separate things a bit sonically, leave a bit more space to breathe? (EQ them differently, pan them?) Again, a little more cymbal than I'd like.
  • I like the languid vibe of the singing. Maybe mix it down just a tiny tad.
  • Lead guitar solo sounds good, but a touch loud. Blend it a bit more?
  • Ooooh. NICE FLUTE.
  • Nice fade out... maybe linger a bit longer??

Love the song! Great work.

6 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

Stream of consciousness here... all just my humble opinions...

• Nice shuffle, I love the sound of the lead guitar.
  • Cymbal hits seem a bit much between lines of the verse.
  • Chorus feels a little crowded. Maybe separate things a bit sonically, leave a bit more space to breathe? (EQ them differently, pan them?) Again, a little more cymbal than I'd like.
  • I like the languid vibe of the singing. Maybe mix it down just a tiny tad.
  • Lead guitar solo sounds good, but a touch loud. Blend it a bit more?
  • Ooooh. NICE FLUTE.
  • Nice fade out... maybe linger a bit longer??

Love the song! Great work.

I'm glad you liked the song Barry - thanks.

More Kirby, as always well done!
Some of the crits are good advice, but life changing? Your song, your production.
I will say I much prefer handling the drum mix in CbB; EZD2, SuperiorD3, MODO, etc.; rather than a 2 track from the VSTi.
The Paul sounds great (never bonded with TH-U).
The 4040 seems to like your voice, that's a good thing! (not a big ART fan TBH, but its working well for you!)

👍's...

t

• Like 1

Great song really enjoyed it but like the others did not like the drums at all.  When using canned drums it's best to not bring them to the listeners attention. Because of the crashes and crazy rolls they got mine and I knew without you telling me they were canned. I would dummy them down a bit. AD does have some pretty nasty crashes and I never did find a ride with a bell sound. I just recorded a band with a real drummer and now I can't stand my in the box drum tracks! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

More Kirby, as always well done!
Some of the crits are good advice, but life changing? Your song, your production.
I will say I much prefer handling the drum mix in CbB; EZD2, SuperiorD3, MODO, etc.; rather than a 2 track from the VSTi.
The Paul sounds great (never bonded with TH-U).
The 4040 seems to like your voice, that's a good thing! (not a big ART fan TBH, but its working well for you!)

👍's...

t

Thanks for your comments Tom.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

Great song really enjoyed it but like the others did not like the drums at all.  When using canned drums it's best to not bring them to the listeners attention. Because of the crashes and crazy rolls they got mine and I knew without you telling me they were canned. I would dummy them down a bit. AD does have some pretty nasty crashes and I never did find a ride with a bell sound. I just recorded a band with a real drummer and now I can't stand my in the box drum tracks! 

Thanks for listening John - I appreciate it.