Lucky Me

Douglas Kirby

Hi Everybody,

This is a new track off of the album I'm currently working on called "The Westerly Sessions Vol. III". As always, any comments and critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

I sang the lead vocal with an AT4040 through my Art MPA Gold mic preamp - I turned the tube gain up quite a bit on this one.

All the lead guitar work is my Gibson Les Paul through TH-U, my go-to amp sim. The piano parts are EZKeys.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14106084

• Like 5

Hi Douglas . . . it's a great hit the highway tune, and you have such great control over that guitar in the way you play it here. It certainly has a very "playing live" feel to it, but these days it's harder to tell if all played live. As Harry C. says earlier, it really does have a good "casual" feel to it, and that's really evident, especially in the vocals.

Enjoyed the listen !

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 3:52 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

I really enjoyed it.  I loved the acoustic groove and the Gibson sounds great.  Fun lyrics.  To be honest, the one the minor thing that didn't seem to  sit quite right to  me were the drums.

Thanks for listening.  The drums are Addictive Drums 2 - I did the best I could with programming the drum track.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 12:31 PM, Lynn said:

Douglas, I always enjoy your songs and style of music, and this song is no exception.  I appreciate that you list your equipment because I have gained a new appreciation of TH-U.  Best of luck!

Hi Lynn - yeah, I really like TH-U - it's what I use on every song I record - the variety of tones are endless - always lots of fun picking out the right amp and fx for each song.

On 9/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, noynekker said:

Hi Douglas . . . it's a great hit the highway tune, and you have such great control over that guitar in the way you play it here. It certainly has a very "playing live" feel to it, but these days it's harder to tell if all played live. As Harry C. says earlier, it really does have a good "casual" feel to it, and that's really evident, especially in the vocals.

Enjoyed the listen !

Thanks for listening and for your comments - I appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Thanks for listening.  The drums are Addictive Drums 2 - I did the best I could with programming the drum track.

As a non-drummer, myself, I can sympathize.  I find getting a good groove with the drums that sits well with what I am trying to achieve one of the hardest things to do right.  If I could be be more specific about suggestions, I would but I'm not even sure how to express it.

Hi Doug - like this, really good track - the only thing I would say is I did find the cymbal crashes a splashy, if you know what I mean! When you output from Addictive Drums, do you output the individual tracks then process on a drum bus, or just output the final track - I haven't used Addictive Drums in some time, but if I remember it was a bit long-winded (PITA)  to output the individual outputs correctly.

Anyway apart from that, good stuff

Nigel

\

• Like 1