Feature Request - Add fade ins/outs to envelope offsets when creating the offset

petemus

When editing envelopes, it's nice to be able to select a region and then offset it, which creates new nodes for that. These envelope offsets have vertical starts and ends, which most often have to be made into fades of some sort.

What if this functionality was such that up/down mouse movement would set the offset of the envelope region as it is now, and left/right mouse movement would fade the ends of the region? You could adjust the fade width between vertical and triangular (the fades meet at the dead center of the region that was created, making a triangular envelope form).

Up/down mouse movement:

image.png.90073bdf1b2dbada7811b927dbae73ce.png

Left/right mouse movement at the same time:

from  image.png.bebefd833285f0fc2da6f8c1fddeb0f6.png   all the way to  image.png.c65cf7e0140ab3c71c61372cb528f040.png

Of course the fade type could be configured to be linear or a fast/slow fade...   😀

Having this feature would save one's mouse hand wrist as you wouldn't have to always adjust both ends after creating the envelope offset region. And please don't tell me it's been there since Sonar 8.5...

Cheers,

-Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 7:04 AM, petemus said:

And please don't tell me it's been there since Sonar 8.5...

You mean as in what happens when you right click on the envelope line?  Ok, if you promise not to be grumpy...

image.png.8c7258a6ad10d040e888c61cbdf16aeb.png

4 clicks...

left click on automation line to establish point of beginning of fade
image.png.2532a7b602d16426ff0e3e3ee34b816c.png

left click on line at end point of fade and without releasing mouse drag down.
image.png.336c1dc28b24eed691cabec0e77f202c.png

when you release mouse button you have this...
image.png.8cc58313eb3d9143567c75c228215568.png

now right click on envelope line somewhere between the nodes and a menu pops up with your options.
Then click on item of choice.
image.png.f4856217d1d328eff8af297d2bd8a06a.png

viola!
image.png.56742aca9af560441f579e905fefbd7b.png

Edited by TheSteven

I promise not to be grumpy... 😀

Yes, that's the way we have to do it now and when you have to repeat it a lot, it becomes an annoying thing.

I mean that when you grab a selected segment of an envelope and move it up or down, you could also add the end fades within the same mouse operation: up/down is the level, left/right is the equal fade duration at both ends. That would be: mouse button down - move up or down - move left or right - release mouse button. That for a few tens of times in project editing would be a bit less of mouse moving than the four clicks/mouse moves per each.

Now the functionality adds the envelope nodes nicely and creates the segment, but the ends are vertical steps. I have to adjust both end fades separately.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:47 AM, petemus said:

Now the functionality adds the envelope nodes nicely and creates the segment, but the ends are vertical steps. I have to adjust both end fades separately.

Unless I'm misreading your post the function is already implemented - use Click & Drag as shown below...

Edited by TheSteven

10 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Is there any way to keep the curve selection for adding subsequent nodes? It seems to always revert back to linear.

Having to manually set it for each and every node is a bit laborious.

Not that I know of.
If would be cool if there was 'sticky' curve setting / option but to be useful you would also need an option to set complementary curves (fast in / slow out or vice versa) when creating a mid point node.

Edited by TheSteven

Yes, I know we CAN already do all I that suggest, but my idea was to streamline that to "mouse down - mouse movements up/down/left/right - mouse up". Way less mouse clicks when doing a lot of envelope editing.

My suggestion would basically be just one dragging operation. It would be available at least when you select a portion of the track, move your mouse cursor (smart tool enabled!) to upper side of the envelope view where the cursor changes to that level changing thingy. This is where there are no nodes yet for the new envelope segment. That single dragging operation would create the end nodes (just like it does now) and also the fades with sideways mouse movements. It could also apply to dragging a horizontal envelope segment with ctrl + mouse click & drag.

I wish I could make a video of this easily...  🙂