Jump to content
jsg

Clarinet Concerto, 3rd movement

Recommended Posts

I've mentioned this before, my wife's uncle was the Principal Clarinetist for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra for many years.
According to Dick, the Principal Clarinetist is the Stud Lead Guitarist of the Orchestra (my words not his).

Does this have anything to do with 3rd movement, no not really, just an interesting anecdote regarding the mindset "legit" musicians.
("legit" is in Dick's words, I never pressed him to define "legit"...)

Excellent as always Jerry!

t

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I've mentioned this before, my wife's uncle was the Principal Clarinetist for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra for many years.
According to Dick, the Principal Clarinetist is the Stud Lead Guitarist of the Orchestra (my words not his).

Does this have anything to do with 3rd movement, no not really, just an interesting anecdote regarding the mindset "legit" musicians.
("legit" is in Dick's words, I never pressed him to define "legit"...)

Excellent as always Jerry!

t

When I was a kid and taking private jazz/rock guitar lessons, "legit" always meant classical music or classically-trained musicians.  A lot of unnecessary strive was probably created by making a division between "legit" and "illegit" (??) music.  I once asked a blind student of mine if he was legally blind, and he answered jokingly, "No, I am illegally blind"!

When Bob Dylan came out on stage with an electric guitar for the first time, his fans felt "betrayed", they thought he was selling-out folk music.  It's both annoying and  amusing how people take their traditions so seriously that anything that happens outside of it is somehow wrong, or illegitimate, or less.   As a classically-trained composer who embraced MIDI and electronic music back in the 1980s, I've gotten some of the same bullshit from online critics and other not-so-creative small-minded people.  It comes with the territory of being in the arts.  I prefer to be joyful and do what I do and not judge what others are doing no matter how far or close it is to what I do.  I find myself happier with this attitude.

Thanks for posting your story Tom!

Jerry

Edited by jsg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another impressive orchestral piece from Jerry. So the clarinetist played along with the virtual instruments which must have been a different experience for him.

I played clarinet in my high school marching band, mostly in the 3rd clarinet section which only plays whole notes every measure. But I looked good in the band uniform.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bjornpdx said:

Another impressive orchestral piece from Jerry. So the clarinetist played along with the virtual instruments which must have been a different experience for him.

I played clarinet in my high school marching band, mostly in the 3rd clarinet section which only plays whole notes every measure. But I looked good in the band uniform.

It was, also the first time he recorded with a virtual ensemble.  Art's such a fine and experienced player that he took to it easily and enjoyed doing it. 

Thanks for listening bjornpdx.

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was a clever composition.
To me it had some overtones of an Arabic feel but thats just my take on it.

Also regarding Bob Dylan,,,  I thought his songwriting skills where great...  but he couldn't sing for sahit!!

One thing I have learned being a cake walk user.. think nearly three decades now!!   Is I have learnt to appreciate everyone paints different pictures.
Some of the music posted on here in the songs forum I could never get my head around.
Some I have learnt to appreciate the creative part and tried to listen with  "open ears"..  but others I have no chance!!

Never be afraid to speak your mind and say things in honesty and courtesy!!
I would love to have a part of the forum where people could actually rip my music to pieces.. as thats the way I learn.
Sometimes I believe on here we can be too polite!  Its just finding the balance for us oldies and the new comers.

Putting all that aside... @jsg
Great peace of work!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, garybrun said:

I thought this was a clever composition.
To me it had some overtones of an Arabic feel but thats just my take on it.

Also regarding Bob Dylan,,,  I thought his songwriting skills where great...  but he couldn't sing for sahit!!

One thing I have learned being a cake walk user.. think nearly three decades now!!   Is I have learnt to appreciate everyone paints different pictures.
Some of the music posted on here in the songs forum I could never get my head around.
Some I have learnt to appreciate the creative part and tried to listen with  "open ears"..  but others I have no chance!!

Never be afraid to speak your mind and say things in honesty and courtesy!!
I would love to have a part of the forum where people could actually rip my music to pieces.. as thats the way I learn.
Sometimes I believe on here we can be too polite!  Its just finding the balance for us oldies and the new comers.

Putting all that aside... @jsg
Great peace of work!!!

Thanks for listening Gary!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David Sprouse said:

Enjoyed this, the third movement.  I felt this was a clever composition as well.  Loved the tone of the clarinet.

Thank you very much David--glad you enjoyed listening!

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...