Melodyne 5 problems, anyone else see issues?

Jack Hawk

I upgraded to Melodyne 5 a few weeks back. I am in the middle of a new recording, and had been using melodyne 4 studio. The improvements looked good enough to warrant the cost, so I went to 5. What I am seeing is an issue similar to the problems with 4.2 about 2 years back in that the editor window, and the track window are not in sync. Track view is correct, but Melodyne is in a different position, so the blob it's passing is not what I'm hearing, making it difficult to edit. Not all tracks are affected. I definitely have one that I know was edited in 4 previously that's problematic. I also have a new track that's a problem, but do not recall if it was recorded and edited first before the upgrade. The brand new tracks I've worked on seem to be okay so far, so I am looking for a common denominator. Celomony claimed that 5 was fully compatible with 4. Celomony has reached the point where they aren't bothering to respond to questions. I am using Melodyne 5 Studio With CbB and I also see the issue in Studio One 4. I just wonder if I am the only one with issues, or if others have seen this behavior. As I recall, last time I went back to 4.1 until they fixed the problem. (It took months), but with money spent I don't want to revert back to 4. Anyone else see problems???

Thanks

• Like 1

I saw exactly the same problems, even with new Melodyne editings. I have Melodyne Editor 5. As you said it is really difficult to edit. Also if I set the cursor location in Melodyne, the now time gets to a totally different location in CbB.

I don't really have Melodyne, but from what I understand via comments in the forum, Cakewalk uses Melodyne somehow behind the scenes for converting audio to MIDI.  I used to be able to drag an audio file into Cakewalk, the transport display would give me messages saying there is some sort of conversion going on, and when it was done, I had midi notes in the track in staff view.  

Recently, however, Cakewalk spins its conversion gears but there is absolutely no MIDI data in the track.

Im on 5 but not the latest cbb yet. Win 10 . When i select an audio clip with melodyne on it and drag it to empty midi track to convert to midi, every piece of audio on every track in the same area of the selected clip goes into the midi track as midi along with the one clip i wanted to convert. Maybe im selecting the clip i want wrong ? To workaround i copy the clip to beyond the ending of the song and convert there so no other unwanted tracks are included. Then drag it to the location in the song i want it. 

I havent had the location issues above i usually loop cakewalk to the spot i want to edit before applying melodyne so i get there right. 

Edited by treesha
To say clip has melodyne on it

5 hours ago, Lynn said:

This happens to me, too, with the latest upgrade to version 5.  However, when I hit play, the display jumps to the correct place, and after hitting stop or pause, it returns to the correct place on the timeline.  Is that true for anyone else?

Lynn, When I hit play, you can see the cursor jumps ahead in Melodyne, When I stop it appears to be lined up correctly, but it jumps again when I hit play. 

it seems to be ok for me from a timeline perspective, but i do notice it takes a while to load up the processing icon, and sometimes not at all. i close the window and re-open, and then i get the icon or see the processed notes. but for me, the timeline matches what i'm seeing in the CwB window. Melodyne Editor 5.0.2.003

I've always had the jumping problem (melodyne 4) and the only workaround I've found is as follows:

- working in a verse (for example) with 2 separate audio tracks at bars 3 and 7

- I turn the 2 audio tracks into melodyne tracks one at a time

- I double click on and edit the first track at bar three in melodyne

- being able to see the second track at bar 7 in the melodyne interface, I start to edit it and bar 3 scrolls off the screen to the left. When I press stop, I am back at bar 3 ...

The only workaround I've found for this is to return to the Cakewalk interface and select the next track to edit. Continuing audio editing in melodyne always returns me to the first edit made until I close the tab and adjust my position in cakewalk and edit another track.

Hope this makes sense.

The other thing that melodyne does poorly is that the autoscroll doesn't work properly in my DAW. At least, it doesn't work the way I would expect it as in the way that the Cakewalk interface scrolls along with the song. Most of the time, melodyne's screen is static while the vertical line scrolls to the right and goes off the screen.  Yet while I'm looking at it just now, it is scrolling properly.

Timbo

3 hours ago, timboalogo said:

The other thing that melodyne does poorly is that the autoscroll doesn't work properly in my DAW. At least, it doesn't work the way I would expect it as in the way that the Cakewalk interface scrolls along with the song. Most of the time, melodyne's screen is static while the vertical line scrolls to the right and goes off the screen.  Yet while I'm looking at it just now, it is scrolling properly.

If you have any blobs selected, the Melodyne screen won't scroll. I try to remember to click in some empty spot in the Melodyne screen before starting the transport.

henkejs is correct about selected blobs stopping scrolling. Took me a long time to figure that out... One of my issues may be compatibility with Melodyne 4, but I certainly have issues with  one song I am working on. As I find work arounds I'll post back. Have not had a response from Celemony in over a week...

I just came across another track recorded last week that does the same thing... It is recorded correctly, and plays correctly, but the curser in Melodyne moves almost 2 measures before The DAW starts moving putting Melodyne 2 measures ahead... pretty crazy.

• 2 years later...

When I use the Cakewalk Play button,  the Melodyne window remains static  - the cursor appears from the left, marches across the window and the disappears to the right. However,  if I get the audio playing by double clicking the timeline in the Melodyne window, it scrolls as it should,  so the cursor remains in view. Hope this helps. 

I upgraded to Assistant 5 within the last 30 days or so.

I'm having issues with it not initially lining up to the timeline.

Sometimes....often...the blobs aren't even visible the first time I insert the Region FX.  I have to undo and redo to get it to show.

Also having issues with it reverting to the rhythmic algo rather than the melodic one.

I'm in the middle of a lot of re-recording of old songs, and I'm also having issues dragging clips to the timeline to build the automatic tempo map.  It usually locks up Cakewalk.  I have to shut it down with task manager and then try again.  If I'm lucky, I can see the tempo before it crashes so that I can manually enter it when I open the project again.

7 minutes ago, HOOK said:

I upgraded to Assistant 5 within the last 30 days or so.

I'm having issues with it not initially lining up to the timeline.

Sometimes....often...the blobs aren't even visible the first time I insert the Region FX.  I have to undo and redo to get it to show.

Also having issues with it reverting to the rhythmic algo rather than the melodic one.

I'm in the middle of a lot of re-recording of old songs, and I'm also having issues dragging clips to the timeline to build the automatic tempo map.  It usually locks up Cakewalk.  I have to shut it down with task manager and then try again.  If I'm lucky, I can see the tempo before it crashes so that I can manually enter it when I open the project again.

I have had the same issue with the invisible blobs for years now. Melodyne doesn't always play nice with CbB, IMO. Ditto for reverting to the simple algorithm. And I'll add that it doesn't remember when I set the time division , I always have to reset it to the smallest (1/32 T or something like that).

I find it disappointing that it doesn't work as advertised with CbB, everything works fine in their videos!

21 minutes ago, timboalogo said:

I always have to reset it to the smallest (1/32 T or something like that).

Yes...this is a problem as well.  I don't use the grid for timing, opting to do it freehand, but I have to reset it to OFF every time.