STL Tones AmpHub

cclarry

INTRODUCING : STL AMPHUB
New Models every month. Subscribe or buy, the choice is yours!

AmpHub is our brand-new plugin suite, dedicated to offering you new amps, cabs, pedals & more every month, at a fraction of the cost. You can choose to subscribe at the low monthly fee of $10, or buy individual models.

The AmpHub Access Pass gives you unlimited access to new amps, cabinets, pedals & more, every single month. For just $10 a month, you’ll have access to the current collection of 12 amps, 6 pedals, 9 cabinets - each cabinet has numerous microphone options - and also included are the post effects modules. Next month, and every other month from now on, we will be adding new models to AmpHub Subscribers, at no additional cost!

LEARN MORE...

$10 per month

REALLY interested to hear what folks think of this.  I played around with the demo this morning.  Its clear they've picked up the design sensibilities of Neural DSP.  The amps are responsive, effects pretty good (nice Fortin pedal in there) and STL have been excellent on the new product release side of things.  It will be interesting to see just how much development they put into the "ongoing updates" banter.  On the other hand, I don't like the subscription hook and the "buy it now" price is stupid. As much as I love THU for the minuscule CPU impact, the responsiveness is lacking and it seems their biz model is focused on the Rig Model feature which I don't find useful.  Looking to replace it.

• Like 2

I HATE their website for buying stuff.  I challenge anyone to add a couple of things to your shopping cart, then try to figure out how to remove it.  🤪

That said, I DO have a couple of their plugins and like them OK. If you've got your eye on something, leave it in your shopping cart for a couple of days and they'll start nagging you to buy, then eventually send you a discount code anywhere from like 5%-14%, I think is the range I've seen.   Worth a couple of bucks anyway...

50 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

No credit card needed, Fitzroy - it's just iLok activated, which is a pain but no credit card info given!

stlform.thumb.png.ef8e5543765637fe203218e56144436c.png

Next form (once you put in your email/Ilock) is for the card details. If you don't see this, it's either because you're logged in (my original question), or because of a geographical IP filter. Neither difficult to test, but

Meh-Main.thumb.jpg.c078e14f1668a82b72d47c2ec45424d6.jpg     Meh-Main.thumb.jpg.c078e14f1668a82b72d47c2ec45424d6.jpg

For lack of something better to do, I guess, I demo-ed this. With the core pack. Clean/crunch, don't care much about the rest. 

Compared to the better plugins out there, the UI is terrible. Audio Assault level stuff. If people are actually paying what they charge for this, they should take 10% of that and pay a proper UX engineer to do the work. Forget about balance, emphasis, hierarchy, golden ratios. Basic stuff, scale, size, proportions, alignment. 

To my ears, it sounds ok. Not bad, not great, somewhere in that great between. I'm not sure I would replace anything I have/use with this. Plini, S-Gear? God, no. Kuassa, Amplitube Fender(s), PA, Nembrini? Nope. Bias FX? Maybe. Probably.  

I'm sure there's more to it than what I sampled. STL seem to be quite knowledgeable about profiling/IRs, one can tweak the amps/effects/cabs a whole lot more than I did, I didn't try any of the artist packs, and there's definitely people who like them, despite the pretty steep price. I just didn't get any spark out of it, whatsoever. 

On 9/5/2020 at 12:49 AM, mibby said:

If you've got your eye on something, leave it in your shopping cart for a couple of days and they'll start nagging you to buy, then eventually send you a discount code anywhere from like 5%-14%, I think is the range I've seen.   

I'm sure that's true, given that I got a "unique promo code" from them as soon as I uninstalled the demo 9_9

• Great Idea 1

38 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

I totally dig the UI and like the responsiveness of the amps, but the deciding factor to NOT bother with this was the 12-15% hit on CPU. 

Marc, real cpu ot asio cpu ... it also depends on amps , fenders in howard benson are 2 times less heavy than the vox ac30 from andy james for exemple 

• Like 1

Hey, Zo.

Just opened a new project with only Amphub inserted.  The CPU hit I'm reading is from the Studio One performance monitor.  Hi gain amps or lead channels have a bigger impact on resources but the minimum CPU hit (Fender Bassman) is 9.  Maximum is the Soldano at 12, but all of the high gain options are more resource-heavy.  Problem is, if you throw the tube screamer in front of any of them, the CPU hit goes to 19-20!!  The Fortin pedal adds less overhead but still...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Hey, Zo.

Just opened a new project with only Amphub inserted.  The CPU hit I'm reading is from the Studio One performance monitor.  Hi gain amps or lead channels have a bigger impact on resources but the minimum CPU hit (Fender Bassman) is 9.  Maximum is the Soldano at 12, but all of the high gain options are more resource-heavy.  Problem is, if you throw the tube screamer in front of any of them, the CPU hit goes to 19-20!!  The Fortin pedal adds less overhead but still...

Yep , i do find Howard Benson suite the most usable and reasonable , give it a spin , the thing with high gain is that the upsampling is a must to avoid aliasing and so they do it on purpose ..... the X factor is imho superior