Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TakMi

MIDI Input devices are changed when project load

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I use Roland's A-500Pro as MIDI keyboard/controller

I set MIDI input device to A-500 pro, save project then load it again, I found MIDI

input devices were changed to invalid or unavailable device.
At first, I doubted that this is because my project template is broken, so I created Completely new project and set MIDI Input device, saved it then loaded it and found same problem occurred again.

MIDI Input preset seemed to be a good way to avoid this, but after loading project, MIDI input device names were set to the preset but it didn't work, names were correct but internally seemed to be set to invalid device.

Not sure this is bug or issue caused by my environment, I report issue just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a fairly common issue with Cakewalk going back to the Pro Audio days, although it has improved.

Cakewalk remembers which MIDI devices are connected & enabled as a global setting. The output devices can be are ordered, and it is the order number that the track's MIDI output is routed to.

The issue arises when you start up Cakewalk with one of those devices disconnected. This messes up the order or the devices, and the output ports on your tracks then end up going to a different device.  So if a track was previously going to MIDI output device #3, it's actually still going to MIDI output device #3... but now MIDI output device #3 is a different MIDI output port that it was before.

There's a few things you can do to mitigate this:

  • Always make sure all your MIDI devices are plugged in before you switch on your PC.
  • Always make sure they are plugged into the same USB port as they were the last time you plugged them in - i.e. don't change to a different USB port.
  • If you are using any MIDI devices that you are likely to not have always plugged in, and it has a MIDI output as well, make sure these appear is at the end of your list of MIDI output devices. In other words, your MIDI output device list should first list all the MIDI devices you always have plugged in, with any others appearing at the end.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I didn't know there are such an old and common issue on Cakewalk

I activate all MIDI Device when I launch calkwalk and USB port are not changed for long time.
I checked midi device list, and try pushing order button to change orders but nothing changed on screen. 

In my case, this is occurred to midi Input not output device, addition to it, this also occurred when I save Project file, unload it, and immediately load it again. Off course all MIDI Devices I use have been connected from beginning to the end and using USB Port are unchanged.

In my environment,  when Sonar days, this problem and MIDI Output device problem didn't occur. Recently, newly this MIDI Input device problem occurred. I always activate all MIDI Device when I launch Calkwalk so fortunately I had been able to avoid device swap.

Well, I hope this is newly occurred issue because I suppose I meet all requirements /solutions you gave me...

As additional info, I attached screen shot when the problem occurred. 2 MIDI Input devices are selected. Might be a new problem.

capture.jpg

capturezoom.jpg

Edited by TakMi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post seems to be not for feedback loop topic, so please ignore this. Instead I sent email to support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to do not have this mess. In case when you're driving with your laptop and leaving midi devices at home, it would be good to just leave settings as they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed this occurring after a recent Native Instrument Komplete Kontrol update. Before this, the project would load saved midi assignments correctly. Since this, I'm either getting 'none' or a combination of midi inputs and virtual controller. I've been in contact with NI for a solution and they provided an update which did not fix this from happening. My Komplete Kontrol S88 keyboard has not been functioning in other ways since a few updates ago...no longer have keyboard transport controls available, nor interactivity with the macros after loading a 3rd party program into Kontact like Output. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started getting this a week or so back too, though I don't know if it's related as I didn't get the Komplete update till yesterday, and it happens when I use any midi controller and a non NI synth, looks more like a CbB bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×