Copy+insert Midi and Audio lanes question.

Misha

Hi Fellows and Gals.

Hoping for good suggestion on this.

I made a backing track for the song which consist of 5 audio + 5 midi tracks.  I realized at a later time that I want another verse+chorus. Ending and other parts are already in place.   I do not want to re-record whole thing,  but to use something that is already there.  Meaning I can identify start/end points on the timeline and destination point... Lets assume, "destination" is somewhere in the middle of the project.

I really do not want to do this "free hand" drag  method and I do not want to mix things to have them on single track ... There is also a small catch. I do have some vocals recorded, so I do not want to touch those tracks when doing this. 

Can somebody please share "smart" method on how to take section of 5audio+5midi tracks and copy (insert) them  to the middle, so everything on the right moves correspondingly?

Thank you!

The old "stupid way" was as follows

Make sure your song is properly lined up with the measures.  Then turn SNAP TO GRIDE Whole measures  on.

A good idea is to Insert markers at the start point of each part -- Example intro, verse1, chorus 1,  bridge, solo,  etc.  so you don't get lost.

Now place cursor at the start of the part you want to copy ,  lets use Verse 1 as example, and use CTRL A to select all, right click and "SPLIT" 

Now go to end of Verse 1 and make another split.  CTRL A makes sure all track are split.

count the measures of verse 1 =  lets say 12 measures

Now go to the place where you want to insert verse 1 again and make a split.

Drag the right hand part of the song to the right 13 measures. this give you room to work.  Warning make sure all data to the right is selected before you drag it. Zooming out might help you see this. 

Now go and copy verse 1 and paste it to the empty space you just made,

Now drag the right hand part back to line up with the end of the inserted verse 1 copy.  Done   

Now after you've done this you'll happy to use Ripple editing :) 

Scook, very cool feature!

Thank you!

After X1, I had "Home edition" so never got to learn it.  Opens a huge door! In my case it was trickier than I thought. I mentioned 5 Midi + 5Audio for the sake of the example, actually there was more than 30 tracks and some of these had cross-over notes to next bars etc.  Of course, I am far from the workflow of the guy in the video, but surely was a great lesson for today!

CatusMusic, Thank you! Since I had some cross over notes, I worked out something in the middle, close to what you suggested. Old school + ripple editing.