Changing Midi Notes In Superior Drummer

Psychotronic

So, I have an existing midi drum track that I want SD3 to play. However, SD3 is using the hi-hat for the snare sound, the kick drum is using a tom sound, etc.... I can't figure out a way to change each indiviual drum sound, either in SD3 or the CbB grid editor. What the heck am I doing wrong?

You can move the notes up and down in the Piano Roll View. You just need to be careful. If you need to move the kick drum up say 2 semitones, but there is already something there, either move those first, or move them completely out of the way (up 2 octaves is out of the way) and later move them to the right place.

You could even move them all up 2 octaves and then one-by-one move them down to the correct note.

A schlepp.

Have a look at this and this about drum maps. When you create the drum map you will have to insert the notes that your MIDI track uses. Naming them is a good idea. Then, for each one, change Out-Note to the MIDI note SD3 uses for it.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

First of all, track 3,  change the input (I), to None, not SD3.

Next, click on the keyboard in the PRV to find the kick drum.
Set the smart tool to Move.
In the PRV, on the keyboard, click on D3, to select that row of notes.
Click and drag any of the selected notes down to the note that plays the kick drum. All the notes in that row will move.
Click on that note on the PRV keyboard to make sure. It should be kick drum.
Click Play. The bottom row should play the kick drum. Ignore everything else for the moment.

Do you know what was originally used to record or play the MIDI track?

If so, it may be easier to change the SD3 internal mapping to play the track.

It is the last option in the SD3 Settings menu called "MIDI In/E-Drums..."

Or create a drum map as mentioned above

Or create a custom map in Transpose MFX

From the settings menu click "MIDI In/E-Drums..."

This opens a "Settings" Window, click "Use Preset"

This activates the drop down to the left of the "Use Preset" button

There are a collection of Alesis e-drum kits and an entry for Alesis in the legacy section. Not sure if any of them work for the SR-16 but it is easy to try them.

The SD3 for MIDI mapping is https://www.toontrack.com/manual/superior-drummer-3/3/3-5-property-boxes/#3-5-9-midi-mapping

The Cakewalk drum map manager is not too bad to work with. If you have more than one MIDI file, it may be a good idea to create a drum map instead of having to rearrange the data in multiple files. Or take a look at the Transpose plug-in. Custom maps are a very simple. Both drum and custom maps are not much more than typing exercises. And once created may be used in an project.

Some of the maps don't change much. Some do. Depends on the device. There is no specific setting for the SR-16.

Scroll through the section below the drop down to see what is mapped. Notes that are remapped are shown in green.

It may be necessary to modify a preset or create a new one.

If you only need to change a few notes

use the default

scroll to the note to remap below the drop down

click the note

then on the right side of the settings windows change the articulation to whatever you want.

Wow, that looked like it was precisely what I needed! Ok, so here's what happened: the hi-hat was sounding as a snare. Changed the snare to hi-hat via your method, and now it's a rack tom. LOL. Not a midi expert by a long shot, but could there be some kind of sysex thing happening here?