1st song on cakewalk - wisdom of a angel

whoisp

This is a beautiful song that deserves to be heard.  I'm reminded of the 90's band Live in the vocal department, which is good because I liked them a lot.  I'm missing some degree of "punch" here and there for contrast, but overall, this song satisfies me.  With an adjustment or two, this mix is on the edge of being stellar.  Good work!

• Like 2

Great song ! You've got a U2 feel to it , especially near the end. I  I can't wait to hear what else you come up with If this was your first CbB song.  If you ask for suggestions or help with a mix when you post it , the people here are great about pointing out issues you song has , that you may not notice.  Lots of people here remix a few times using suggestions , then add a video.  Good job and hope to hear more ..

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 1:33 AM, Wookiee said:

Not sure what the subject mater of the lyrics is

Often that's the mark of good songwriting, let the listener take it where he/she needs to go...

On 9/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, garybrun said:

Very nice for your first song

Well I doubt this is Agent P's first run at songwriting, but it does seem he has "bonded" with CbB.

A little crit (or not), I found the guitar "scratches" right and left at 2:11 and 2:14 a bit "jarring" (too loud),
but you returned to that (sorta) at 3:43 going into the outro so I get it; me, I turn it down a little.
Your song, your production...

👍

tom

just so Agent P knows, that's tom with a small "t"; lots of Toms on the forum

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David Sprouse said:

The acoustic guitar needs to be better articulated.  Sounds like it might be an ovation?  With a few improvements this'd be stellar like lynn said.

@David Sprouse,   I agree.   @whoisp   The acoustic sounds like you used a built-in bridge piezo pickup.  You may want to consider using an external microphone to add a little wood to the acoustic sound.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry guys, my notification email was on spam mode so i got no notifications. So big thanks for the beautiful comments.  I've done 4 more since to get get use to Calkwalk as ive never used daw and ive been bitten with the calkwalk vibe, loving this software so awesome! 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:23 AM, Jim Fogle said:

Nice production.   I would be interested in knowing the total number of tracks on this song, how many are instrumental and how many are vocal.  As others indicated, I don't think this is your first audio production.  Stellar arangement.

Wisdom was my first song on DAW and the only time i have used a DAW, however i moved from a 25yr old Boss 8track so i have some base knowledge with terminology for a foundation etc  This was 12 tracks, but most of those tracks are broken into sections. Used two tracks to write the drums, and two vocal as i didn't know about vocal comping which i will try on my next song 😉  Yes the acoustic was my fault and a poor job, my faith built in pickup as a great sound but was a terrible take and level with old strings now replaced. I guess i could use comping on the guitar two haha.  I used a combination of subtle strings that take up the tracks and couple of fx tracks i use to add bit here and there for ambiance or to make something stand out. My mixing as improved and this was a very poor show at mastering which as also improved.  I am one of those creative artists that as loads of ideas, play all instruments and do everything myself, so i don't spend enough time to perfect a song, i get frustrated quickly and want to move onto another song asap so rush, so i need to learn some lessons with my post productions and make it easier on myself doing better takes. That's why the comping sounds good which is my next mission to learn, thanx