FREE EXPANDED style for Band-in-a-Box users, others can ingnore this post.

Notes_Norton

New FREE EXPANDED User Style for Band-in-a-Box.

Band-in-a-Box has always had these limitations.

1) You can't put a chord both on a beat and the eighth note before that same beat

2) You can't put more than 4 chords in a bar of music

Norton Music invented EXPANDED styles in the 1990s to overcome these limitations. Using EXPANDED styles you can put up to 8 chords in a 4/4 measure and that means you can put a chord on a beat and the eighth note before the same beat.

You can read an explanation on how it works, listen to an audio demo, and download a FREE EXPANDED style for Band-in-a-Box here:

It's a simple, basic Rock/Country/Pop style. It demonstrates how Norton Music EXPANDED styles work and it's yours FREE for the download.

For more information and your FREE style, go to: http://www.nortonmusic.com/expanded.html

Enjoy

• Like 1

You don't even need to download the thing, because the concept is explained very clearly on the page.  It wouldn't be hard to do, if you needed to. 

Think of the numbered sections in the Band-in-a-Box matrix as cells instead of bars. With an EXPANDED style, two Band-in-a-Box cells equal one bar of music. What was a quarter note is now an eighth note.

The tempo is doubled, but the EXPANDED style plays at half time to compensate for that (note the fast count-off). The style is designed to play properly at that doubled tempo.

I haven't really ever needed this--the BIAB shots, holds and pushes have always done the trick for my songs--but it's nice to know this idea is out there. 

It was something I used on a very old MIDI sequencer that only had 120ppq resolution on an Atari ST computer. I used two measures to equal one, doubling the value of all the notes and got a resolution of 240ppq, which was much better. That was way back in the early days of MIDI.

No you don't need me, you can certainly do your own. I make them in Band-in-a-Box in PG Music's StyleMaker app. You can find it in one of the drop down menus.

A couple of people e-mailed to ask, so I'll add it here as well. I have an entire disk of EXPANDED styles at http://www.nortonmusic.com/style17.html with audio demos.

Notes