Guitar Transiants and Looping

sadicus

So when you make a loop, you usually split around the loop and hit ctrl L to make it then drag it out.

This causes a very short fade between end of one cycle and beginning of the next.

If you were to take your clip and include content prior to to the start of the loop section, cut it, paste it at the end and then fade between, you can control the fade time in the loop.

I think I got this idea from Craig Anderton, to give Credit where it's Due.

• Like 1

@gswitz - thanks for the name check :)  The tip was originally about creating perfect pad loops, but it would apply here. I searched for the Sonar Friday Tip of the week that described this, but couldn't find it. However, I did "recycle" the tip for my Studio One blog, and I think it's obvious how this would apply to Cakewalk - it's just waveforms.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lapasoa said:

For me too it's the way you play your guitar. Strum exactely on the first beat of the bar.

So conform to the robot, that's the best way of making music? I couldn't disagree more. Exactly metronomic music, made by human musicians, is why so much stuff is so lifeless and boring these days.

R

• Confused 1

There's a thing called "snap offset" that can be set as a special property of a clip. Normally a clip snaps at its left edge to whatever landmark you're using in the track, such as "beat". The snap offset is a point in the clip that is used as the snap point of the clip instead of the left edge.

It could be handy in the case of aligning a clip that has a pickup, strum, or some other feature before the first "beat" of the clip.  (See help for "snap offset".) I don't know if it works for loops, though. Also, since loops are a multiple of beats long, the end of the clip would be short of the end of a beat by the same amount of its snap offset (if snap offset works on loops at all). That would be OK when repeating the loop.

• Great Idea 1

Snap Offset may not be the answer for groove clipping... you probably (as noted already) do some manual tweaking of the initial sample to get it just right.

"Snap offsets
Snap offsets allow you to set a point other than the beginning of a clip as the “snap” point used by the Snap to Grid. A snap offset is the number of samples from the beginning of the clip. Snap offsets affect all edits that obey the Snap to Grid setting. Once the snap offset is added, you can set the Timer Ruler to SMPTE or MBT time.
* Note: You cannot set a snap offset for a Groove clip."