Using external sound modules

Dan Hendricks

Question

I have several external sound modules (Emu Proteus, Roland XV-3080 etc.) and would like to use them.  In Cakewalk by Bandlab the output channel for midi only lists my audio interface, not individual midi channels.  So I am unable to designate a channel matched to my external device waiting to receive.

4 answers to this question

Follow up to Promidi's comment about the lack of details. If you are recording MIDI data and playing it back via E-Mu gear, there are Instrument Definition files [*.ins files] at several places on the internet that include presets for all the ROMs. You can then use Cakewalk's Instrument Definition apparatus to associate each midi channel of each device / port with a ROM or User Bank.  In addition there is at least one E-Mu user created software application that can output an *.ins file with custom E-Mu User Banks.

This might help.

Also, under Preferences > MIDI > Devices you can assign friendly names to MIDI devices. under Preferences > MIDI > Instruments you can assign specific preset banks found in an *.ins file to each midi channel.  

Edited by User 905133
to add a missing word; to add a link to the documentation and some additional comments