Got a new guitar!!

Mesh

4 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

When I was actively looking, Gibson Custom was just on a different level.

Given the cost, I guess you could (should) expect that...

Heh, yeah...  Over $9k for a Neal Schon model!  I'm glad I decided to go down the custom route (and NOT with Gibson!).

Each one combines aspects of several guitars and electronics, but with a consistent scale, neck radius and body shape (each has a "story" to go with it too - some pretty funny stuff).  The goal was like a bag of golf clubs, each feels similar but does something different!

Now, if only life would return to something close to normal so I could have the time and money to play again... 

• Like 1

As much as I'd LOVE to get and own a LP, I just can't afford a Custom. Thus, I'm looking for a guitar that's very versatile in tone and plays comfortably/built well. Just not sure if the Sustaniac's neck position pup draws a lot of interference/radio noise etc...?

25 minutes ago, craigb said:

Heh, yeah...  Over $9k for a Neal Schon model! 

I'm not usually into signature instruments.  No way I'd spend $9k for a Les Paul.  Well... maybe a real '59 (worth well into 6 figures).  😂

When I got that R9, it was on deep discount at GC.

Had been sitting in the Platinum Room for a long while... and had a couple of tiny dings.

Didn't pay anywhere near the current $6500 price.

Had an Alex Lifeson LP for a good while.

It was an exceptional guitar in most ways.

One thing drove me crazy, it picked up router noise (poorly shielded).

Best sounding Piezo of any instrument I've owned.

My router is in the studio room... and it was nothing but that (rhythmic) "tick, tick, tick, tick...."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Paulo + Strummy.

We could call ourselves Plummy.

That would be the nuts.

Well one of yours anyway.😀

John T would probably feel a bit left out though, which is generally not the best place for gentleman vegetables to be.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mesh said:

As much as I'd LOVE to get and own a LP, I just can't afford a Custom. Thus, I'm looking for a guitar that's very versatile in tone and plays comfortably/built well. Just not sure if the Sustaniac's neck position pup draws a lot of interference/radio noise etc...?

Look at Used Heritage Guitars "LP style models" made in the original Gibson Factory, and on the whole they make better guitars than Gibson does, including the custom shop.  the new ones are well out of your price range, but the used market takes a major unnecessary hit.

I've seen them go for close to what your OP guitar price range is in.   No way would I buy a made in Korea model for ~$1000, I have owned a Schecter before and it looked fantastic, but the electronics and play-ability were not anywhere close to the order of what Heritage offers.  The guitar sat virtually unplayed for about 6 years until I sold it.  Had noise and grounding problems...and yeah, likely could have spent a few hundred fixing that, but not really worth it.  

As for versatile tone...not exactly sure a LP qualifies for that.   And since you are looking for a Floyd Rose, not sure a LP is really what you are after either.

Other option is Eastman (made in China).   They have have options that sound and are made better than Schecter's made in Korea lineup.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:
6 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Paulo + Strummy.

We could call ourselves Plummy.

That would be the nuts.

Well one of yours anyway.😀

John T would probably feel a bit left out though, which is generally not the best place for gentleman vegetables to be.

You sir, have an excellent memory 😄

31 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

You sir, have an excellent memory 😄

Some things are just hard to forget.

Especially once immortalised in rhyme........

(for the benefit of those who missed it first time round)

Ahem........

There was an old fecker named Strummy
Who named his bollocks John T & Plummy
He used to check on them often
Before his body did soften
But now he can't see past his tummy

© Paulo 2017

• Haha 1

I had an LTD Faux Les Paul once. Decent guitar, but the frets were soft and the pickups a bit buzzy for my tastes. I got it in a trade for some of the styles I write for Band-in-a-Box. I replaced the pickups with GFS Meand 90s and then I was happy with it. I quit playing it when I got my Parker Dragofly/Maxxfly from their custom shop.

LPs are a bit heavy for me. I switch instruments between sax, flute, guitar and wind synth on the gig, sometimes switching mid song. After a few hours of that, a light weight guitar is appreciated.

Notes

4 hours ago, paulo said:

There was an old fecker named Strummy
Who named his bollocks John T & Plummy
He used to check on them often
Before his body did soften
But now he can't see past his tummy

As biographical limericks go, this is remarkably accurate 🙁

Whatever happened to John T* I wonder?

I really miss his sparkling wit and cordial repartee. Mind you, it's all relative I guess. I've come across lobotomised sponges with more engaging personalities.

As I'm now firmly on a nostalgic bent, has anyone seen sight or sound of me old mucker CakeAlexS? I'm not saying he was a wrong 'un, but he was a wrong 'un. Fair upset your old pal Strummy did that power-crazed moron. I am definitely one grudge-bearing ball of revenge he does not want to encounter down a dark alley.

Made for each other them two. Like two cheeks of the same septic ar5e.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd ................................................... breathe 😊

* The 'real' one that is, not me starboard knacker.

Edited by SteveStrummerUK
Apparently, I'm not allowed to say "*****"