Got a new guitar!!

Mesh

I'm thinking of getting this Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR-S as the specs/features fit pretty much to what I'm looking for. Of course, I haven't played one (yet) but I know Sweetwater does a great job with their 55 point inspection. I was specifically looking at this model:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HRC1FRSBCH--schecter-hellraiser-c-1-with-floyd-rose-and-sustainiac-black-cherry?cond=HRC1FRSBCHd4

Just wondered if anyone has played one of these and would like to hear your thoughts on it. If there's any another guitars you can recommend (within this budget), would appreciate it as well. Apart from the good playability/comfortable feel, I also love using the Floyd Rose tremolo :).

Edited by Mesh
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

LOL Mesh - I've been giving some extremely serious thought to getting the exact same geetar 😄

Pros for me:

• Reputed rock-solid tuning, even under severe whammy abuse
  • Sustaniac pup is an absolute blast
  • It looks absolutely beautiful in cherry (even more stunning than the black version of the identical model)

Cons:

• No hardshell case (well there is, but not included in the price)
  • I already have a guitar equipped with a Floyd + EMG pups (my ESP EII MII)

I reckon you really should purchase one of these and then tempt me to follow suit with your subsequent and frequently espoused glowing reports of its awesomeness 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mesh said:

I'm thinking of getting this Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR-S as the specs/features fit pretty much to what I'm looking for. Of course, I haven't played one (yet) but I know Sweetwater does a great job with their 55 point inspection. I was specifically looking at this model:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HRC1FRSBCH--schecter-hellraiser-c-1-with-floyd-rose-and-sustainiac-black-cherry?cond=HRC1FRSBCHd4

Just wondered if anyone has played one of these and would like to hear your thoughts on it. If there's any another guitars you can recommend (within this budget), would appreciate it as well. Apart from the good playability/comfortable feel, I also love using the Floyd Rose tremolo :).

Of the Schecter's I've owned or played, they mostly only had one issue:  For some reason, the input jack needed work!  It was either loose or, in one case, needed to be replaced.  Sure, easy stuff, but c'mon!

Ah, I posted before taking that link!  A couple comments about sustainers (sussed out when my one custom had one - it definitely got replaced!).

First of all, the Sustainiac is a much better choice than the Fernandes version (which is actually just a licensed older model Sustainiac!), however you are now stuck with that humbucker for all non-sustainer use.  

That is, unless you get what they now are calling a Model C!  

When I get back into spending major dosh on music gear again, I will definitely be getting one!  I loved the sustainer I had originally (just wasn't happy with the normal tone), so a clip-on version is the best of all worlds.  Not only can you have the pickups YOU want, but you can move it from guitar to guitar.

Ok, I'll admit it does look pretty fugly, but I'm not Steve Vai and was only using it (as well as an eBow) strictly in my private studio. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

LOL Mesh - I've been giving some extremely serious thought to getting the exact same geetar 😄

Pros for me:

• Reputed rock-solid tuning, even under severe whammy abuse
  • Sustaniac pup is an absolute blast
  • It looks absolutely beautiful in cherry (even more stunning than the black version of the identical model)

Cons:

• No hardshell case (well there is, but not included in the price)
  • I already have a guitar equipped with a Floyd + EMG pups (my ESP EII MII)

I reckon you really should purchase one of these and then tempt me to follow suit with your subsequent and frequently espoused glowing reports of its awesomeness 😊

I still haven't really decided about getting the hard shell case as I don't travel with it anywhere . It'll be just waiting on a stand for me to pick  up and play. 

The reviews  I read have all been pretty good  and seeing that our Pro musician Strummy is planning on getting    it, this must be damn good. :P 

The guitar I have right now is my old Jackson Stealth (going on almost 25 years ) and it's not quite holding up in staying in tune. Still enjoy playing it  as it's been very good to me, but I think it's time to get a new one. 

Stevie boy, I just may take  you up on that offer and give some glowing reviews (that is if they only glow). 

@craigb - Thanks for posting that info on the sustainiac, will definitely look forward to playing with it (if when I get it).    ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I've never played one but looking at it, it's beautiful.

If you get it, we all expect a full report.

No.  This is unacceptable!

The only prudent action is to buy all of us one so we can provide a group opinion! 😁

• Great Idea 2
  • Haha 3

:P

6 hours ago, craigb said:

I don't see a guitar... 

Don't worry we got you covered  Craigb ! . The pick up selector switch on this guitar does double duty. 1 as a stealth cloaking security device  , 2 as a traditional guitar pick up selector .

In addition to that , the Pro package deal on this guitar includes a sturdy kneeling  Jimi Hendrix Guitar stand to keep your brand new guitar perfectly safe at home and on stage .

Pardon the pun but The Jimi Hendrix Guitar stand is fire and bullet proof ...why you ask ? .....Hey Joe ! you just never know ...

Also New in 2020 , we have included  a live scantly clad bikini model .

The Model is prone to throwing Hissy Fits every once in a while and if you can get past those  emotionally charged moments and move on  you will be rewarded with having her bend over and adjust your pedals to  your unique personal tone while you play . For those among us here with vision issues you will also have the added benefit of never ever ever ever loosing a guitar pick ever again after having dropped it . How she can find those lost guitar picks  on some of those dark and cluttered stages , I don't know ...

It's a miracle I say .....Get yours now while supplies still last ...

Kenny

PS : We personally guarantee once you start playing this guitar , you will definitely know whether or not your Heart is Healthy enough for a Memorable Deep Nookie Week End In Space ....

But Wait there's more !  if you decide to act now we will bla bla bla bla bla bla bla........................oh well it was fun while it lasted .

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

Lovely looking guitar. Gotta love the way sweetwater showcases their guitars for sale. I just wouldn't ever buy a guitar without trying it again. Both my Gibsons I bought were just not my guitar, a songwriter deluxe acoustic and a SG. Great condition, perfectly setup, but ultimately I prefer to play before I pay :). 

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Tony Carpenter said:

Lovely looking guitar. Gotta love the way sweetwater showcases their guitars for sale. I just wouldn't ever buy a guitar without trying it again. Both my Gibsons I bought were just not my guitar, a songwriter deluxe acoustic and a SG. Great condition, perfectly setup, but ultimately I prefer to play before I pay :). 

What I thought was most ironic was when I was looking for a new Les Paul a good 15 years ago...  You'd think with that name and branding (and price!) you could expect some quality but, sadly, that was definitely not the case!  I sat in the GC up here and tried about 30 of the LP's they had and almost ALL of them had some kind of (IMHO) major issues like frets that stuck out and cut you, bad setups, tuning heads that weren't aligned straight, etc., etc.  I only found two out of the whole herd that were decent straight off the wall.  (Nope, I didn't buy any of them!)

As I mentioned above, with Schecter, my success rate was much higher except for the minor fixes with those input jacks.  I ended up with a bass and a baritone which were both awesome:

bassrig.jpgSchecterScorpionBaritone1a.jpg

• Like 1

Haven't checked out the 2020 LP Standards.

Had a 2014 R9 a while back.

IMO, That R9 was the quintessential classic-rock guitar. 

After owning/playing it, Standards (as gross as this sounds) felt/sounded "cheap" (by comparison).

Sold the R9 as I prefer the ergonomics of PRS.

The 2020 LP Standards look nice.

I hope Gibson is going back to the fundamentals... and focusing on quality.

When I was actively looking, Gibson Custom was just on a different level.

Given the cost, I guess you could (should) expect that...

Edited by Jim Roseberry