Interesting DAW Testing Results: And the winner is.....

Bapu

Remember that by default (from memory anyway), Reaper runs its look-ahead processing, so not all tracks are "Live" (the equivalent of being able to being IMable in CbB).  If you disable that, odds on it'll behave much closer to how the other applications do.

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Remember that by default (from memory anyway), Reaper runs its look-ahead processing, so not all tracks are "Live" (the equivalent of being able to being IMable in CbB).  If you disable that, odds on it'll behave much closer to how the other applications do.

On my Mac I only mix. I never record, so IMable is not necessary to me in any Mac DAW. 

Edited by Bapu

17 hours ago, S.L.I.P. said:

Close up on the faders:

Smoothfader.png

Well, my main DAW is not on a 4K monitor (Del 30" at 2560x1600) so it seems I cannot get it to look like your example.

Further, I followed the instructions to a T and the adjuster screens do not look like the examples in the Reaper thread. Many things are missing, maybe because I'm not on a 4k monitor?

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Well, my main DAW is not on a 4K monitor (Del 30" at 2560x1600) so it seems I cannot get it to look like your example.

Further, I followed the instructions to a T and the adjuster screens do not look like the examples in the Reaper thread. Many things are missing, maybe because I'm not on a 4k monitor?

The solution is obvious!  You need to go out and get an 80" 8K monitor.  😁

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I think there's a 1080p version. I don't know if that will work. 

Just now, S.L.I.P. said:

I think there's a 1080p version. I don't know if that will work. 

According to what I read, the theme supports 1080p. It did not look like its a separate version per se.

Anyway, I got it to somewhat work. Pretty Cool.

Man do I love that Smooth 6 theme.

I'm a big folder guy, I like the way the folders' channels in the mixer are represented (shifted up). Gives immediate visual of where you are in the mixer.  Very handy.

I have been using a ProTools like theme for quite sometime but this may be my goto now.

27 minutes ago, S.L.I.P. said:

I just love how you can customize Reaper to do just about anything you want. Custom actions are super powerful.  

Because I do some collaboration with non-DAW savvy friend (he owns a Mac so we went with Reaper for him) I try not to customize menus. I just go with themes for me and he uses Vanilla theme (and I think he's still on v5). That way I can always go back to Vanilla prepare a tutorial (PDF) on how to do what he needs to know.

Sadly, after getting him up to speed on the basics to get me guitar tracks, we have not collaborated much since COVID-19 hit and we've only done one collab. He is Randy "X-Ray" Root (the lead guitar).

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:50 PM, Bapu said:

Because I do some collaboration with non-DAW savvy friend (he owns a Mac so we went with Reaper for him) I try not to customize menus.

I'm not a power user from any stretch of the imagination, but I have a couple of custom actions that make life in DAW land much easier. If I want to make a bus from a bunch of tracks, I just highlight the tracks, press F5 which is the key I created for the custom action, and it will create a bus, send the tracks to the new bus, remove tracks from Master/Parent send, all with one keystroke.  

On 9/16/2020 at 12:04 AM, Bapu said:

I'm a big folder guy

I was gonna ask what you have against small and medium folders, but  as ever the only folder question that really needs to be answered is..............

What exactly is in that folder ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, S.L.I.P. said:

I'm not a power user from any stretch of the imagination, but I have a couple of custom actions that make life in DAW land much easier. If I want to make a bus from a bunch of tracks, I just highlight the tracks, press F5 which is the key I created for the custom action, and it will create a bus, send the tracks to the new bus, remove tracks from Master/Parent send, all with one keystroke.  

Care to share that in a PM?

43 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Care to share that in a PM?

I don't mind sharing it for anyone interested. It's just two actions. You need to download the SWS extensions.  It's Freeware/Donationware:

https://www.sws-extension.org/

Once you have the SWS extensions installed, you would create a new action, and search for those two items in the picture, add it as shown, and choose  a shortcut key. 

submix.png

SWS extensions add a lot to Reaper.   I like using the  Auto Layout/Color/Icon script, to automatically color a track based on a name. So I have blue as the name for Vocals. When I type Vocals into the track name it will automatically color the track blue.  

Edited by S.L.I.P.
  • Great Idea 1