How To Use Offline Help

DallasSteve

Question

I downloaded Cakewalk by Bandlab after restoring my computer from a hard drive crash.  When I look for Help it takes me to the online documents.  At the bottom of the page it says

"Note: If you prefer to always use offline Help, go to Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced in your Cakewalk software and select Always Use Offline Help."

But when I go to Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced there is no choice for Always Use Offline Help.  What gives?  is the online documentation out of date?  Is there a way for me to use Help offline?

5 answers to this question

On 8/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, DallasSteve said:

It appears to have been installed in the same folder.

The current Reference Guide has not yet been added to the Cakewalk by BandLab installer, so if you already had a file named "SONAR Reference Guide.pdf" in your Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR folder, that was from your SONAR installation, if you had one. If you didn't, that's a mystery.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to get the current, updated one (with the new features!) is to use the link that Steve posted, so be sure to check.

Also, Steve has developed a really nice tool (and other handy ones as well) for adding entries to the main Utilities menu, and you can add a link to wherever you keep your Reference Guide. It won't be context-sensitive, but it will be readily available.

Edited by Starship Krupa
added link to Steve's utilities

1 hour ago, jerryemerydelacruz said:

I thought I'd try Cakewalk to see how it compares to Zynewave Podium, and the very first thing I run across is an out of date reference for offline help.  So 30 minutes spent on the basics of getting help documentation.  Yeah, I'm looking forward to this (not)!

Personally, I am very glad that (1) Cakewalk has a policy of making on-going improvements and that (2) the changes since the last published guide are detailed in a cumulative thread. 

Note: The date of the original post is June 29, 2021, since it was started with the features introduced in the 2021.06 Update; however, the thread covers updates through two days ago (August 6, 2021).  

Edited by User 905133