That Pesky Generic ASIO driver!

John Vere

Opened Cakewalk and when I tried to select an input from my Tascam interface it said "none" ??Opening preferences found that that pesky Generic ASIO driver had taken over. 

I got rid of it a long time ago. Only change in the last few days has been a W10 update and I just installed the BBE Sonic sweet. Any how I found a way to disable it but why does it still show in the Sync and Cashing  tab? 

Here's what I found ( Oh my goodness, I don't have to upload to iMGUR ANYMORE cool>    ) 

generic asio on.png

So I unchecked it and my Tascam came back,

Generic OFF.png

but  you can see it is still using the wrong driver to calculate offset... that cannot be a good thing

2018-12-23 (3).png

Edited by John Vere

The Tascam is selected. I got rid of the generic driver a while ago and I forget how.  As you see it's back on the list. Normally there would only be my Tascam, nothing else because I always disable all other drivers.  My interface is always turned on and I use it for all audio. Done it like this for years. The Generic driver I do believe originally is installed with Cubase which I have but do not use. I don't no how it came back. Other software I have installed in the last few weeks is OBS stucio and Vegas Movie studio so possibly those added the driver. But now,,, how do I get rid of it again... 

2018-12-23 (4).png

Hmm, thought I'd check as well.  I sometimes have to reset from Magix Low Latency ASIO back to my MOTU Pro Audio ASIO driver.  However, deleting these from the AUD.INI did nothing.

While the MOTU selections in Preferences/Devices remains the MOTU driver, the Magix driver still shows and persists in Preferences/Sync and Caching/ even when I change it to the MOTU.

LLDriver.JPG

Edited by Fwrend

The Magix driver is a re-badged version of ASIO4ALL. I removed it from the registry and got rid of the driver. Not sure of the origin of the Cubase Generic driver.

One method to suppress any unwanted ASIO driver without messing with the registry is locate and rename the dll.

IIRC, ASIO drivers have a registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO which is scanned by applications to pick up the the available ASIO drivers. When loading  CbB will add the drivers to preferences if it can communicate with them otherwise the will be ignored.

Thanks everyone. WIll try those. I did try searching for it but only item shows up is that Dialog box I posted above. 

Everything is working  fine but I really don't want unwanted drivers lurking. 

I have a feeling it got installed with the Magix ( Vegas) Movie Studio Plat. 

3 hours ago, scook said:

The Magix driver is a re-badged version of ASIO4ALL. I removed it from the registry and got rid of the driver. Not sure of the origin of the Cubase Generic driver.

One method to suppress any unwanted ASIO driver without messing with the registry is locate and rename the dll.

IIRC, ASIO drivers have a registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO which is scanned by applications to pick up the the available ASIO drivers. When loading  CbB will add the drivers to preferences if it can communicate with them otherwise the will be ignored.

Thanks Steve. that did it!

2 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Thanks everyone. WIll try those. I did try searching for it but only item shows up is that Dialog box I posted above. 

Everything is working  fine but I really don't want unwanted drivers lurking. 

I have a feeling it got installed with the Magix ( Vegas) Movie Studio Plat. 

AFIK the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver comes from Steinberg software. I had nightmares with this driver since it causes some ASIO apps to crash. (not CbB)

I had to hunt it down in the registry and when I found the dll I simply renamed the DLL to remove it. I didn't find it in my add remove programs so I assume I got it from an older Cubase install at some point. ASIO drivers are COM objects so if you find the ASIO driver CLSID you will find the dll listed under its inproserver32 entry.

For me it was here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{52EBAE30-47E4-483F-B87B-770314306005}

c:\program files\steinberg\asio\asioglld.dll

The main ASIO reg key is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

Thanks I'll go looking for it there, Might be a while as it's Family time for next few days :) 

Funny it came back as I havn't done anything with Cubase for over a year. I do use Wave lab a lot but in the past it never installed this driver or I would have seen it.  

Might have something to do with me trying to get OBS Studio screen capture to use my Tascams in/outs.  

I'm making Cakewalk Tutorials and was trying to get both OBS and Sonar running together using the Tascams Audio.. As it is,  it works best if I use on board for OBS.  I was also trying WASAPI shared but a no go. 

Edited by Cactus Music