Storm Chasers Check In! (This means you Bill!)

craigb

Well I made it in tacks

I lived in Lake Charles and the surrounding areas during most of my youth

I live at Grand Lake in 68’ and 69’

its no longer there, everything was lost

I went to LaGrange Westlake and Lake Charles High Schools and know quite a bunch of people there. It’s bad

I live on the far west side of Shreveport on Cross Lake. Lots of trees down power out but not much home damage here

My  son gave us a generator so the food won’t spoil this time

A computer guy is looking at my DAW Monday to see if it is ok

folks here really join together to return the community back to normal 

My heart and prayers go out to the residents of Cameron Lake Charles and every town along hwy 171 through Louisiana 

Laura veered east just before coming into our area and hit Ruston 

amazingly with Category One hurricane winds  that far north 

I hope to be up and playing by next Thursday 

I didn’t lose the ability to make the Becan once during the entire experience!

NOT ONCE!

LONG LIVE BECAN

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobertWS said:

No, they aren't.   They're no worse than 20, 100, 500, 1,000 years ago.

[rant]

I get my head chewed off by my Mom when I correct her because she'll parrot something she just saw on the news like "It's the worst in history!" when the even isn't even the worst to happen in the last ten years!

The approach all mass media takes now of searching through 10,000 decent events to find the one that's bad, then magnifying it, adding alerts and repeating it ad-nauseam really makes ME angry.  It not only makes people think the world is horrible (it's not) and the worst it's ever been (not even close, it's actually in one of the best times - no huge wars, famines or dictators killing millions, etc.), but it triggers the amygdala area of the brain.  The amygdala is the part that handles fight, flight or freeze (basic survival).  As such, it releases stress chemicals which are designed to keep people ready to react and does not allow for deep sleep since it expects you to be able to wake up and immediately run or fight.  After being in this state for even a short while, people get, well, exactly as I've been seeing.  They're anxious, think everything's bad, they're health is declining and they're irritable.  I should add that the mass media isn't even showing all the effects (we've had over 90 days straight of riots downtown with lots of deaths, lots of businesses completely wiped out and burned plus the destruction and graffiti is incredible (I have clients downtown and have seen it - I won't go down there anymore).

So, why are they doing this to everyone and why is almost EVERYTHING completely 180 degrees away from reality?  Well, those are exactly the questions everyone should be asking themselves!  I know why, but this is definitely not the right place to be going into that.  Let's just say that these same people are behind all the fringe movements that pit one group of people against the others because, as Julius Caesar said, "Divide and Conquer!"

[/rant]

4 hours ago, RobertWS said:

No, they aren't.   They're no worse than 20, 100, 500, 1,000 years ago.

I've been here for 63 years, and I've ridden through quite a few of them, and I have never seen storms brew up to cat 4 that quickly, nor have I seen the gulf water that warm.

I'm not repeating what some pundit with an agenda is telling you, I'm relating what I've seen with my very interested eyes since I live on the coast of Florida.

So yes, I repeat, these storms are getting nastier and nastier.

500, 1,000 years ago I wasn't here and there is no conclusive evidence because we have no records of wind measuring and tidal surge from then.  Whoever is telling you that is guessing, with no evidence to prove it.

Notes

10 hours ago, craigb said:

[rant]

it's actually in one of the best times - no huge wars, famines or dictators killing millions, etc.),

[/rant]

I tell people that ALL THE TIME!  It is the best of times!   We are living in the lap of luxury.  Hot showers, air conditioning, the ability to drive anywhere we want, food is plentiful, dentists available, clothes washers, dishwashers, indoor plumbing, etc. etc. etc.....our luxuries are too plentiful to enumerate.

We, as common people, live better than kings did a mere 100 years ago.

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I've been here for 63 years, and I've ridden through quite a few of them, and I have never seen storms brew up to cat 4 that quickly, nor have I seen the gulf water that warm.

I'm not repeating what some pundit with an agenda is telling you, I'm relating what I've seen with my very interested eyes since I live on the coast of Florida.

So yes, I repeat, these storms are getting nastier and nastier.

500, 1,000 years ago I wasn't here and there is no conclusive evidence because we have no records of wind measuring and tidal surge from then.  Whoever is telling you that is guessing, with no evidence to prove it.

Notes

1)  Anecdotal 'evidence' is meaningless and useless:   It's like saying I can't get a job so the economy is bad.

2)  The 1900 Galveston hurricane was the deadliest hurricane in the history of the United States, killing between 6,000 and 12,000 people.   And the population was less dense than it is now.

3)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-1600_Atlantic_hurricane_seasons

Relax, the climate is fine.

There is more than one measure of a hurricane. The hurricane of 1968 killed a 1,000 people in Florida, but they built a dike around lake Okeechobee and kept the death toll down when stronger hurricanes came through and the population had grown.

The dike saved lives, but at the cost of the wildlife and ecology of the Everglades (you seldom get something for nothing).

Laura one went from TS to Cat 4 in record time.

I'm not an alarmist, or a left or right winger. I'm a lifelong moderate who thinks the folks at both ends of the spectrum are out of bounds.

But when I see storms as massive and destructive as Andrew, Sandy, and Laura being so huge and forceful, an upward trend in the number of major storms per year, a general upward trend in the total number of storms per year, and the water temperatures (fuel) being warmer they have been since we started measuring it, it's easy to put 1+1 together.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say what is causing them to be stronger, as the scientists at the Miami Hurricane center (who also believe they are getting stronger) have several theories, all of which have multiple causes.

I live in a hurricane zone, so I watch them intensely, read a lot about them, and have the hurricane center in Miami bookmarked, it's survival. I've survived quite a few (so far - so good).

And RobertWS, I do believe we are living in great times, but I'm not going to put on rose colored glasses and pretend it utopia. I still think we can make it better, and in the long run we will make it better. But I'm confused as to  what that has to do with hurricanes? We have earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, volcanoes and hurricanes during the best and worst of times.

Notes

There are two topics I commented on.  People who are ridiculously pessimistic during the greatest time to be alive and hurricanes.   And no, they have nothing to do with each other.

Back to hurricanes!   Looking out your window certainly gives you a view of the weather, but it will be limited.   And any sweeping generalizations based on that view may or may not be valid.

Let's look at some data!

image.thumb.png.371cc2a344ddbc746bca7b20a42cdb02.png

• Like 1