Neural DSP Archetype: Plini

cclarry

If you prioritize for clean sounds, up to crunch, Plini sounds best to my ears, and is the more versatile. If you want a wider range of sounds, more high-gain modes, Nolly is definitely more versatile overall, and also has nice cleans, as Zo pointed out. So if overall versatility is the goal and you're only going to get one of their plugins, Nolly probably makes more sense. 

Compared to Nembrini, Neural DSP's stuff is far less transparent. Their amp sims do a lot of heavy-handed tone shaping that you can't really configure (even if you turn off all the effects, and use your own IRs); that's the penalty for those great mix-ready sounds. In turn, the Nembrini amp sims are great to play around with - custom IRs, third party effects, comps, EQs, you can use them in so many ways. 

• Like 3

Yep you pointed the key here : stl tones and neural dsp have a narrow sonic palette , but it will warantybproduction ready tone as the starting points and range is what artists consider usefull ....

ik', nembrini , PA , oberloud ....ect are more like tones playgrounds .... also usefull 

• Like 1

Better not get it then. If we start buying plugins that cost 75 EUR on a sale, after we demo them and 'we don't know what to say',  we're doomed. Really, that'll be the end. Scientology level stuff, with hydrogen bombs dropped into volcanoes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

Better not get it then. If we start buying plugins that cost 75 EUR on a sale, after we demo them and 'we don't know what to say',  we're doomed. Really, that'll be the end. Scientology level stuff, with hydrogen bombs dropped into volcanoes. 

Absolutely true... I have one problem with testing this plugin... With 3 attempts separated months I got backdoor warning notification (virustotal)...

1 antivir from Russia and 1 from Ukraine are warning about backdoor...

It could be false positive - of course - and probably is... But what if... It would be great target for hackers to inject some additional code. Seems to be very popular software.

Manufacturers as always are very confidentially answering it is false positive they are secured... but did they check it at all or just automatically answering such sentence to anybody?

Or maybe some hidden code to let support to help remotely ? But in such case they would probably not say it is false positive....

Many well known manufacturers different things were also claiming in the past they were secured... Toshiba, Sony, etc...

3 hours ago, fitzroy said:

I didn't buy it yet. I didn't buy any of the NeuralDSP sims. 

I demoed it to look again at system resource usage. But mostly I demoed it to see if i could get what "to me" sounds like a usable tone. It's weird. I can't quite explain it. Plini sounds modern but the tones don't quite sound right to me. I think it's just a personal subjective thing.

8 hours ago, Piotr said:

1 antivir from Russia and 1 from Ukraine are warning about backdoor...

Hmm, 1 from Russia and 1 from Ukraine? Maybe they flag imperialist capitalist plugins and they're only happy with the slimmed down, protection-free, FSB approved backdoor-ed, cracked versions. 

putin.thumb.jpg.00c52787981be33b73b15e08825c9a30.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fitzroy said:

Hmm, 1 from Russia and 1 from Ukraine? Maybe they flag imperialist capitalist plugins and they're only happy with the slimmed down, protection-free, FSB approved backdoor-ed, cracked versions. 

putin.thumb.jpg.00c52787981be33b73b15e08825c9a30.jpg

Well, maybe I am obsessed about security too much (working in my past with the things made me oversensitive?) :)

But also because of what bothers me more  is something different than possible false positives (some antivirs can be just not  precise in their checks, too small signatures etc ).

The thing is I reported many times to different manufactures such alerts and what is my real concern is how they approach such reports.

It is almost always the same: they response  usually very fast but with the same words: 'don't worry, we are safe, it is false positive, we are sure' etc.... But no any info about their security procedures, or something like 'thanks we will check it', or 'we did already check that case'....

When getting something like 'heuristic' type finding I am not so concerned as with backdoor type...

The only exception was Audient when I reported to them alert with a few findings they provided to me link to early beta version which was much cleaner in scans.

Among all such cases it is enough just one  time to introduce troubles for some people (like stealing sensitive data, using comps for attacks for more sites etc)...

I wish manufacturers did more to ensure customers they were safe than  just providing words like 'we are sure it is false positive'. 

I have seen how it was done in real in  many companies. They were completely at different levels  but all they were saying to customers the same : 'don't worry we are safe....'

14 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Well, maybe I am obsessed about security too much (working in my past with the things made me oversensitive?) :)

Well, well, a gathering of spies... (it so happens that I also worked in a restricted environment, with an appropriate security clearance). 

spies_like_us.jpg.2b98e877ff03b74f89788cbdbb0b493f.jpg

Generic and security-focused apps have very different risk models, so it's no big deal and a fact of life that you'll get false positives. On one hand, large software companies look at the big picture - technical/development/cost advantage vs increase in the overall probability of new vulnerabilities being introduced into the system, while security-centered companies view the latter through a very low risk acceptance threshold (e.g. if you pay for your antivirus and you end up losing all your data because of a virus, you won't care much about the fact that the prior know vulnerability of your system through the protocols allowed by their software was lower than 2%; rightly or wrongly, you won't buy their product anymore). I would suspect this analytical framework covers everything, including backdoors (so it would still benefit them to use heuristics to flag potential backdoors, until the details of particular exploits are better known and/or to anticipate unknown threats). 

Anyway, I love Plini. If it has a backdoor, I'll probably wake up one morning to find my S-Gear presets sounding like Amplitube 3. There'a heuristic for you! 

Well, well, a gathering of spies... (it so happens that I also worked in a restricted environment, with an appropriate security clearance). 

Well. well. well... ;) My role was quite different but I appreciate your honesty ;)

s.jpg.f211669f23f34596913550a86d7e913c.jpg

so it would still benefit them to use heuristics to flag potential backdoors

True, but in this case it was pointing to exact backdoor threat  name 'Backdoor.Bladabindi.'.

Anyway as you could expect I did not read it as anything sure either. However it incremented my internal risk counters so reporting alert to manufacturer I just tested how they approach security. Is it something serious or rather similar to automatic PR-like answers...

In some companies developers are working on laptops accessing in the same time Internet freely. In the other ones job laptop is not allowed to have access to Internet at all except VPN tunnel... Etc... Many different possibilities , many different risks.

Anyway, I love Plini. If it has a backdoor, I'll probably wake up one morning to find my S-Gear presets sounding like Amplitube 3. There'a heuristic for you! 

It would be great if backdoors would do some useful work for us :)  Some housekeeping in plugins, keeping updates :)

Well,  maybe some subscription model  backdoor, let say getting from me $0.5 per month and keeping everything ordered, updated perfectly ;)  And also some programmable option for some deal hunting 🤣

8 minutes ago, Piotr said:

It would be great if backdoors would do some useful work for us :)  Some housekeeping in plugins, keeping updates :)

Well,  maybe some subscription model  backdoor, let say getting from me $0.5 per month and keeping everything ordered, updated perfectly ;)  And also some programmable option for some deal hunting 🤣

That's actually a great idea. Maybe Larry should have a backdoor like that. Something that crashes your computer if you want to overpay for a plugin. And maybe he can partner up with Izotope, so that they'd also crash your DAW, if you kept loading plugins you thought were great, but are actually crap. 

• Haha 1