Neural DSP Archetype: Plini

cclarry

I had been waiting for a sale on Plini that seemed to never come so gave up and bought it last month.  I should’ve waited just a little bit longer, maybe had two less beers that night, and put more effort into finding a bad review because everything I found said it was amazing.  I really love the sound of Plini so do yourself a favor, drink two extra beers but use Larry’s code...

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

17 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Even at half off I can't afford it o.O>:(

They'll probably have another BF sale or a group buy sale, if you can't get it now. Half-price it's good value for what it does, but I hear you, I did stare for a long couple of minutes at the checkout screen before I hit the payment button, trying to resist it. 😶

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

They'll probably have another BF sale or a group buy sale, if you can't get it now. Half-price it's good value for what it does, but I hear you, I did stare for a long couple of minutes at the checkout screen before I hit the payment button, trying to resist it. 😶

i agree. they are very high priced. I didnt know Neural do group buys. I guess I will hold out and see what happens.

• Like 1

Oh boy the demo sounds fantastic. Now I see what all the fuss is about with Neural DSP stuff.

Trying to hold out though for a splurge on Omnisphere (they never have sales :( but I'm happy for them to make an exception this year ).

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

i agree. they are very high priced. 

They seem to be targeting the upper end of the market for now. Less presence, no resellers, fewer discounts. It's hard to blame them, as their product line (including the Quad Cortex) is pretty boutique (top-notch interface and sound, distinct flavor). They might come across as expensive to your pocket (and mine!), but I feel they're still good value, compared to the competition. It's nice to be able to grab one, when the time is right. Kind of like snatching a dream Eventide plugin on a good sale. 🙂

• Like 2

The other thing I like about Neural is their 20% off loyalty discount for existing customers.  Once you own one of their plugins you qualify.  So if there is a new plugin at intro price, which is usually around 30% off, you then get an additional 20% putting it at around 50% off full retail price.   They are definitely on the higher cost side and more boutique but look and sound amazing.  This is my first year owning a Neural plugin so don’t have experience with BF but looking online it seems it was 30% off so if they also stacked the 20% loyalty discount it would be equivalent to 50% off now.  My wallet suffers around BF and this year I think it’s going to be crazier compared to other years.  So if you can manage and really want it, I’d get in on this one now instead of waiting later.  On my side I purchased Plini and had to pass up a few other plugin sales that I normally would’ve picked up but knowing me would have sat unused anyway. My 2cents if you are on the fence. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZincT said:

Oh boy the demo sounds fantastic. Now I see what all the fuss is about with Neural DSP stuff.

Trying to hold out though for a splurge on Omnisphere (they never have sales :( but I'm happy for them to make an exception this year ).

Just tested the demo out and it does very, very good.

Not sure if this is a reliable way to gauge this, but I use my Freqout pedal with all amp sims and with all of them, the tonal clarity (switching pickup positions) is a very noticeable improvement. There's also a very pleasant playing response when the pedal is engaged. 

When using Plini, it didn't matter if the pedal was engaged or not. The tonal clarity/response was constant and good. So there must something in their coding to get this.

Now, I'm wondering if there's a better deal during BF or is this this the best deal?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

They seem to be targeting the upper end of the market for now. Less presence, no resellers, fewer discounts. It's hard to blame them, as their product line (including the Quad Cortex) is pretty boutique (top-notch interface and sound, distinct flavor). They might come across as expensive to your pocket (and mine!), but I feel they're still good value, compared to the competition. It's nice to be able to grab one, when the time is right. Kind of like snatching a dream Eventide plugin on a good sale. 🙂

I think their amp sims sound amazing. I am a guitar player and i can tell the difference. but to be honest, i usually notice that most pop, EDM and HH music these days has the guitar way down low in the mix and synths and drum machines way up. so i am not sure how much you will be able to notice.  if you are into making guitar albums, i think Neural is the way to go for sure.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zo said:

To put things on perspective , you get 3 amps , 3 cabinets , pedals and fx as well as several mics ....for me to have the equivalent in any brands would be the same ....

Plini or Nolly? I think you said you'd choose Nolly if you could only have one. I can't test any of them right now as my studio is torn down at the moment. I'm wondering what Plini has over Nolly.. 

2 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Plini or Nolly? I think you said you'd choose Nolly if you could only have one. I can't test any of them right now as my studio is torn down at the moment. I'm wondering what Plini has over Nolly.. 

Depends on what you're after , any of them is a solid pick , i said nolly cause it's super versatyle and has more features .... and the amps choice is exotic and solid at the same time :

Nolly 1/ Bogner Shiva, 2/ Modded Marshall, 3/ Peavey 5150 block letter, 4/ Victory Kraken

Nolly has the ability to use one cab with another amps and vice versa , plini don't .....

Plini is super balanced also .... both are great choices ....

4 minutes ago, Zo said:

Depends on what you're after , any of them is a solid pick , i said nolly cause it's super versatyle and has more features .... and the amps choice is exotic and solid at the same time :

Nolly 1/ Bogner Shiva, 2/ Modded Marshall, 3/ Peavey 5150 block letter, 4/ Victory Kraken

Nolly has the ability to use one cab with another amps and vice versa , plini don't .....

Plini is super balanced also .... both are great choices ....

Do you think nolly or plini is better than the Nembrini stuff? 

The Nembrini Marshall is great for a grimy doom metal sound. I passed on Nolly way back because I thought the distortion was very "samey" - it just sounded like every other dude with the same metal djent sound. But Nolly had an amazing strong and punchy clean tone, like it had baked in compression or something. Yeah I don't like Peavy 5150 of any kind really thus far. I like old school metal tones. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this. 

Just now, Christian Jones said:

Do you think nolly or plini is better than the Nembrini stuff? 

The Nembrini Marshall is great for a grimy doom metal sound. I passed on Nolly way back because I thought the distortion was very "samey" - it just sounded like every other dude with the same metal djent sound. But Nolly had an amazing strong and punchy clean tone, like it had baked in compression or something. Yeah I don't like Peavy 5150 of any kind really thus far. I like old school metal tones. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this. 

Nembrini Soldano and Marshall are exellent and the reason why i hold other STL tones ....for some times ....lol (i won them now) 

Peavy is great for leads imho ...and the STL tones andy james is the one to get for that ...

Nolly ,like i said already i think , is more mix ready than Plini .... the one that people skip is the Abasi witch is imho superb , 

For old school metals tones i do think STL tones Howard Benson is superb (and they added a svt bass amp !!)  be sure to try that one

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

I get the impression that Plini is much more popular than Nolly among guitar people that are into NeuralDSP level sims. I dont have it so can't comment. I tried the Cory Wong. I didn't think it was worth the price point.