Wasted Years - Instrumental Feed Back

garybrun

HI guys/gals,
Could I please have your feedback on this mix for the track.
There are no vocals as Im going to redo them as I had a problem with sibulence.

I have added an acoustic guitar to this version.
Thanks for the comments... and please rip it to bits.

Cheers,

Gary

Edited by garybrun

1 hour ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I thought the mix was pretty good - maybe a bit too much verb on the vocal - but that's to taste.

I listened to both versions - I prefer the one with the  vocal - mostly because you have an excellent voice.

Thanks @Douglas Kirby
I have just added the instrumental(backing track) as my ears where too tired yesterday and hope I have fixed the reverb problem.
There was too much Sunset Studio room.. so I have removed it all together.
The reverb you hear now are from UAD Capital Chambers.

Pretty smooth Gary. I'm not going to "rip it to bits" but I am having a little problem with the far left guitar. There are a couple of rough sliding squeaks around the 40 sec mark that could be tamed. They may also show up downstream but not as noticeable. The guitar also seems to be a little forward in the mix keeping my attention to the left side. I think it may interfere a little when the vocals are brought back in. The acoustic sounds real good but could be brought up some.   mark

39 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Pretty smooth Gary. I'm not going to "rip it to bits" but I am having a little problem with the far left guitar. There are a couple of rough sliding squeaks around the 40 sec mark that could be tamed. They may also show up downstream but not as noticeable. The guitar also seems to be a little forward in the mix keeping my attention to the left side. I think it may interfere a little when the vocals are brought back in. The acoustic sounds real good but could be brought up some.   mark

Thanks so much @mark skinner...  thats what Im looking for...  Im on it.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

Gary,

Instrumental 3 version sounds nice.  The only change I would make to the sound is I would make the bottom end a little more pronounced.  It's there but the notes are not distinct.

I have a problem with the introduction.  After the count-in the first sound seems to be a high hat sweep, then sustained keyboard chord, then closed high hat hits and side stick and then guitars.  I would eliminate the initial high hat sweep for two reasons, the sound interferes with the initial keyboard sound and all the instruments have their own introduction except for the drums which is introduced twice, before and after the keyboard introduction.

I'm looking forward to hearing the final product.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Gary,

Instrumental 3 version sounds nice.  The only change I would make to the sound is I would make the bottom end a little more pronounced.  It's there but the notes are not distinct.

I have a problem with the introduction.  After the count-in the first sound seems to be a high hat sweep, then sustained keyboard chord, then closed high hat hits and side stick and then guitars.  I would eliminate the initial high hat sweep for two reasons, the sound interferes with the initial keyboard sound and all the instruments have their own introduction except for the drums which is introduced twice, before and after the keyboard introduction.

I'm looking forward to hearing the final product.

Thanks for listening and excellent comments Jim.
I will look at those suggestions tomorrow...  just added a version recently and then saw this!!  🙂

Once again thanks a bunch!

• Like 1