Any other option than a linked clip to duplicate MIDI to another Track?

JohnK

Question

I would like to duplicate the midi notes (not the bank changes or envelopes etc) to another track, so as to have two different VSTi's playing the same passage. The same as putting a linked clip onto the other track. I would prefer not to have a linked clip, as I am actually hoping to do it across many tracks, and I personally find the extra clips to be harder keep track of, and just visually messy.

I have read about how some VSTi's actually have a MIDI out, that can be routed as the MIDI input into another track. That sounds like it would enable what I wish to achieve. It seems to me it would be possibly enabled via an insert-able midi FX.

Does anyone know if cakewalk can do the above already, or it already has, or there is a third party insert-able MIDI FX providing this functionality?

1 hour ago, Nigel Mackay said:

I have full version. You can switch on MIDI Guitar and set the channel for each string. Set all to 1. Now all strings work except high E, which was originally ch1.

Send MIDI to guitar on any other channel and all strings work. Except there is no note-off.

A guitar that can do MIDI channel per string is no help.

I do not have one non-Kontakt VST that works. Even though they say they have MIDI out.

I was not interested in Ample Guitar either, but it was the first one I found that appeared to do midi out. Weird that I am getting a midi off, with just a channel for each string.Also weird your high E now does not work; this tech is flakey.

I went through one-by-one to test ALL my 64b (and a few 32b) VSTi's. Ample Guitar was the only one that sent MIDI out; at least that I could get working. A few of them had a setting for "MIDI Thru", but turning that on did nada. It was a simple menu item being checked, and seemed to be a default interface that a few shared, but all ignored.

I am currently in correspondence with the dev of jBridge on another matter, and mentioned/asked about MIDI out, and he said jBridge did it, and he is actually using it himself. I'll see if I can get any more info on that.

I also found an ooooold thread about the 32b VST interface (DirectXer) which I used back in the day; but its only 32b. And all those users said SONAR didn't do stuff from VSTi's except by using DirectXer.

its a long read, and its mostly about other things. I remember at the time, I was shocked Cakewalk/TwelveTone/SONAR went with the other VST Adapter.>:(

http://forum.cakewalk.com/DirectiXer-VST-Adapter-issues-m552719.aspx

Actually, the MIDI thru is working on the first VSTi I checked; FURY-800. However, its doing the same flakey thing, where if I set the receive of that MIDI out, to multiple other VSTi's MIDI in, only the track that has "focus" actually plays.

I managed to get a video, its a pity I didnt get sound. You hear each different instrument as it plays back.

What you do see is, as I click on a different track (ie it gets focus), that one receives MIDI (see VU Meter) and the others stop.

https://streamable.com/phklm2

I think we are now in BUG territory.

NB: Noticed I badly named track 5. It was actually TTS1 Ch2.

Edited by JohnK

22 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Using only the high E string (to stay on channel 1) of the Ample guitar, I can make any instrument sound. As long as Input Echo is on.

But can you divert it to multiple other VSTi's in unison? i.e. multiple layered synths, all playing the Ample Guitar part.

Ample guitar has MIDI track. Use the PRV on it. Channel is set to 1, not None.
Then I have the SI-Bass, SI-Strings and SI-Piano inserted as Simple Instrument Tracks.
All of the are set to listen to Ample Guitar  channel 1.
All of them have Input Echo on.
I play notes on the PRV (only above E5 to stick to channel 1.
Al the SI instruments sound the notes I play simultaneously.
In other words, any VST set to listen to Ample Guitar Channel 1 will play those notes (if in the instruments range, of course.)

I will do a quick test of FURY800 and get back to you.

9 hours ago, fossile said:

would be nice to have something like a MIDI "patch point" or MIDI "aux track" that instrument tracks could accept as an input... probably a new feature request though...

The VST MIDI Channel Filter I referenced in my previous post basically, for all practical purposes, enables the feature.