Road Trip

Barry Seymour

That was really a fun listen. Enjoyed it a lot. Great song. I like the vibe of the piece, and I really like the vocal work. That's a lot of lyrics, and you flow through them smoothly and with l some nice control and authority. Sounds very  good.  The  overall  sound  struck  me as the  performance of a really tight band rocking out at a bar. 

The only thing that sort of caught my attention was the sound of the lead guitar, which seems to be buried a bit in room ambiance. That's not a criticism, per se -- this genre of music is not my specialty and I don't feel like I can make really deep comments on it -- but it struck me as being almost in a different soundscape than the lead vocals, which are very forward and present, and I personally found the contrast to be a bit distracting. Not a really a criticism, just a personal observation. 

I also heard a bit of  clipping (or maybe  processing artifacts) at 1:21 and 1:23, and maybe a bit after  (this is in reference to Mix 2).

But overall I really like the song and the musicianship. Great performances all around.

Rob

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

That was really a fun listen. Enjoyed it a lot. Great song. I like the vibe of the piece, and I really like the vocal work. That's a lot of lyrics, and you flow through them smoothly and with some nice control and authority. Sounds very good.  The overall  sound    struck    me as the performance of a really tight band rocking out at a bar. 

The only thing that sort of caught my attention was the sound of the lead guitar, which seems to be buried a bit in room ambiance. That's not a criticism, per se -- this genre of music is not my specialty and I don't feel like I can make really deep comments on it -- but it struck me as being almost in a different soundscape than the lead vocals, which are very forward and present, and I personally found the contrast to be    a bit distracting.   Not a really a criticism, just a    personal observation. 

I also heard a bit of  clipping (or maybe  processing artifacts)    at 1:21 and 1:23, and maybe a bit after  (this is in reference to Mix 2).

But overall I really like the song   and the musicianship. Great performances all around.

Rob

Thanks for that feedback, I really appreciate it. Yes, the lead guitar is swampy (I fell in love with the sound as soon as I stumbled upon it), but I left the lead vocal dry ala Dave Edmunds / Rockpile. But hmmm... I guess that could be seen as a bit of cognitive dissonance ... what setup would let a band sound like that? I'll have to ponder a bit on that.

I'll check out the section from  1:21 - 1:23.

Again, thanks for the feedback; very in-depth and intelligent. I appreciate it!

Barry, I'm going to second Rob's comment above. The guitar solo parts seemed to me like they were coming from a different room, a bit muffled sounding. Wasn't sure though if that was what you were trying to do, like giving the song more of a live feel.

Anyway, great lyrics and performance as always. I always enjoy listening to your songs.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:37 PM, Barry Seymour said:

I know the guitar sound is inconsistent with the vocal sound, but darnit, I like that sound!

Its fine!
(how often does the guitar have a slap back echo that isn't present anywhere else in the mix?
see what I mean....)

Great songwriting and performance again Barry! 👍 😉

t

cool ending

• Like 2