Mono and Stereo Seperation

Will.

Hey team. 

I've been extremely busy lately, currently working on a project for radio. I was playing around the Mono and Stereo button, also creating my own stereo channel with two patch channel going into a third as a single channel. This give me the option to - not only create a stereo to mono field but it also acts as a width field, which sounds awesome. It's a method i use a lot. 

This got me thinking - what if we split the mono/stereo button into two separate mono buttons with each having its own pan knob underneath it on one individual channel/track? Now, I know this sounds like the "pro tools" Mono/Stereo Concept, but with the' two seperate buttons and their pan knobs, it acts as a width/widening effect too, and more control. 

It will allow you to take a mono track and pan it 20%L and 20%R (creating a Width effect on mono tracks) or Hard left and Hard right creating a stereo track. 

Concept: 

Two individual left and right Button/Knobs for Mono to Stereo and two pan Knobs to isolate the channels in each field. 

😕Don't know if I am painting this idea fluently right now. It's in my head though. 😐

Let's brainstorm. 

9 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Why do you need 2 mono/stereo buttons (I get the pan control bit)?

To act as a mono "width" effect on each Left and Right. So that means if you pan the individual Left channel slightly 15%  to the left, you can use the additional two knobs to widen it as an extra pan.

I do it with patch points. You get a true mono sound and pan option that acts as a width effect. Plus, both Left and Right sounds more isolated in their fields. 

38 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

That's 2 knobs though, not one knob and one button, right (that does make sense - it's the double mono/stereo button that doesn't to me)?

Read the entire post again, maybe you will then. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

an option i use extensively - use the surround buss - i set the surround to 2.1, skip the LFE, and now any stereo buss or channel can be positioned L-R for width, depth, etc. mono channels are L-R position and depth only. one nice effect is to put some delay and reverb just "outside" of the main stereo space (say a width of 70) and put the reverb @ 90 in terms of depth, leaving the delay at 100 (slightly further out or deeper). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fossile said:

an option i use extensively - use the surround buss - i set the surround to 2.1, skip the LFE, and now any stereo buss or channel can be positioned L-R for width, depth, etc. mono channels are L-R position and depth only. one nice effect is to put some delay and reverb just "outside" of the main stereo space (say a width of 70) and put the reverb @ 90 in terms of depth, leaving the delay at 100 (slightly further out or deeper). 

Does it translate over on every device? I've experiment with this before, but couldn't hear the backing vocals in the car, but came through in my fiances and - think i had iphone 5 then, where it was not heard too. 

depends on what you do with it. i tend to set things so the spread is smaller rather than larger and position it from there. so bvox - i'd set around 20 width and up to about 60 on depth. with vox on 5 width and 50 depth. otherwise like any possible phase/polarity, you could run into masking problems. also ensure you're exporting from the master into stereo file (2.1 is effectively stereo with an option for an LFE channel which i leave off).