Parallel track processing, how many way are there?

micv

I want to apply fx to a track in parallel, meaning one fx will not affect the other, and then sum into a bus.

Since FX bin is always feeding into the send, I'd have to create two send to two separate aux-tracks; then each aux-track have its set of FX, then route the two aux-tracks  to a bus.

Is there another way to do this? Would be great if the track's FX bin can be configured to be "post send" so the raw track can have its FX also.

• Confused 1

To clarify, my understanding is the FX in the FX bin is sequential, the one at the top feeding into the next, and so on.  So the question is is there a way to route FX in parallel?

What I do currently is duplicate the track and insert the FX at 100% wet into the duplicated track.  for example with 4 FX that would be 5 tracks (one original or direct and 4 wet) and sum them into a bus.  Using aux-track is a little better that you don't duplicate the audio clips but you would still have 5 tracks, in this example.  Just wondering if there is better way.

Not that I'm aware of. There are some plugins that support that type of thing. Nomad Factory's MFX - Magma can load 3rd party vsts and has various routing capabilities including up to 4 parallel paths. Blue Cat Audio has Patchwork and there may be others.

rack_06.jpg

main_medium.png

On 8/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, micv said:

I want to apply fx to a track in parallel, meaning one fx will not affect the other, and then sum into a bus.

Since FX bin is always feeding into the send, I'd have to create two send to two separate aux-tracks; then each aux-track have its set of FX, then route the two aux-tracks  to a bus.

Is there another way to do this? Would be great if the track's FX bin can be configured to be "post send" so the raw track can have its FX also.

In a pinch, you could duplicate the track/events and then link the clips to allow for easy editing.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, micv said:

Would be great if the track's FX bin can be configured to be "post send" so the raw track can have its FX also.

If you have a Send set to 0dB (no gain change), what arrives at the Return (Stereo Bus) is a "mult" or copy.

You've got processing on the original track (which happens before the Send).

There's no way to make the original track's EFX Inserts "post send"... as the (Send) signal has left that channel.

On the Return (Stereo Bus), you've got EFX Inserts... and you can Send to another Return (Stereo Bus).

Let's say you've got a dry DI electric bass track... but want it to sound a bit more like Chris Squire or Geddy Lee.

You could create a Send on the DI electric-bass track... to a Return (Stereo Bus) called "Dirt".

On the "Dirt" return, use the EFX insert to add your favorite distortion plugin.

Adjust the level of the "Dirt" Return... to mix in the desired amount of distortion (added to the original  DI bass).

Upon listening to the distortion, it's affecting the bottom-end too much (we want to limit the distortion to effecting only the mids/top end).

In the "Dirt" Return's EFX insert, add your favorite EQ before the distortion plugin... and use a high-pass filter to roll off everything below 1k.

Now, the distortion is adding character... without losing clarity on the bottom-end.

On the Bridge of the song, the bass is playing a melodic part... so we want to add some Chorus (just to the distorted mult).

Create a Send from the "Dirt" Return... to a new "Chorus" Return.  Insert your favorite Chorus plugin in the EFX insert of the "Chorus" Return.

Adjust the level of the "Chorus" Return to balance with the original bass track.

This is what we've created:

• Original DI electric bass track
  • Mult (copy) that's 100% distorted
  • Chorus that's applied only to the distorted Mult

You may know all this...

I just wanted to use an example to explain what's possible. 

I'd be surprised if you couldn't accomplish what you're looking for... in a multitude of ways.

Worst possible scenario, you can create multiple physical copies of the original track (I doubt this is necessary).

• 3 years later...