UVI World Suite 2

cclarry

Our massive ethnic instrument collection gets even bigger!

World Suite 2 lets you explore thousands of years of musical culture and traverse the most secluded corners of the world for inspiration with 369 instruments, browsable by region and type, and over 10,000 authentically performed loops and phrases!

$199 intro price

https://www.uvi.net/world-suite-2

Just upgraded.  For $59 a no brainer.

fyi seems intro and upgrade price are time limited.  From their announcement:

”World Suite 2 is available immediately at uvi.net for an introductory price of $199 / 199€, with upgrades available for $59 / 59€ for existing owners. Intro and upgrade pricing valid through September 6th, 2020 (regularly $299 / 299€).”

17 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I’m interested to see how people like 2. I was very disappointed in the sample quality  of the original.

I don't see any sign that they have changed any of the old samples since Version One.

One thing I should point out is that while there are new recordings  of instruments, a lot of these same instruments or very similar were included in the old World Suite.  There was an Er Hu and now they have an Erhu.    They had a Karimba before  (the original African thumb piano) and now they have a Kalimba, which is the Karimba thumb piano that Hugh Tracey marketed to the west.  There was a playable didgiridoo with lots of phrases, that I actually thought was one of the very best things in World Suite.    There's a duduk--it's terrible, but there's a duduk.   And of course there were steel drums in the West Indies section!  😃

I have no doubt that they wouldn't be putting in new recordings if they didn't feel there was room for improvement.  But it is a little misleading to say Version 2 adds 48 instruments.  Many were already there. 

Also I don't know where the samples for the  instruments came from.  It was pretty obvious that a lot of the best instruments that were added in World Suite were from PrecisionSound.  Great accordions.  To my knowledge, World Suite was mainly or all a collection of instuments and loops from other libraries that UVI reworked and gave the typical UVI interface to.  Largely MOTU.   Did UVI record all these new instruments?   They don't say. 

As a world music obsessive, my kneejerk response is to just buy this.  But I have built my world music collection up a lot since I first bought World Suite.  So now I have some pretty nice versions of the instruments I actually want, like Tarilonte's Duduk, and the Erhus in Strezov's Jade Ethnic Orchestra. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Thanks 1

Some nice details on what's in the update over at VI

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/uvi-release-world-suite-2-with-introductory-and-upgrade-offers.97671/

Took forever to download (UVI really needs to work on that).  I like all the new instruments have a WS2 on them.  I don't think this ever is going to replace high quality single instruments, but it was (and now is even more) one of the nicer world instrument collections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Some nice details on what's in the update over at VI

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/uvi-release-world-suite-2-with-introductory-and-upgrade-offers.97671/

Took forever to download (UVI really needs to work on that).  I like all the new instruments have a WS2 on them.  I don't think this ever is going to replace high quality single instruments, but it was (and now is even more) one of the nicer world instrument collections.

I was on the fence about this because I am spending a lot of money lately AND The Orchestra Complete 2  also came out today, but the very knowledgeable Mark Schmieder put me over the top on this in the forum link above.   He knows what he's talking about.   It's more than worth the upgrade price.

But I would still love to hear your responses to the new stuff as I don't know when I'll be able to get to this. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Took forever to download (UVI really needs to work on that).

Did you download through UVI Portal or via direct link?

I find UVI Portal a little on the slow side, so I used a download manager.  This uses multiple network sessions to grab this files. Using this, I managed to download it in around 4 to 5 hours....

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Did you download through UVI Portal or via direct link?

I find UVI Portal a little on the slow side, so I used a download manager.  This uses multiple network sessions to grab this files. Using this, I managed to download it in around 4 to 5 hours....

I used UVI Portal.  Firefox Nightly (yes I run the developer version) wouldn't/couldn't start the download from my UVI account page.  Something I think Mozilla broke recently and I didn't think it was worth launching Chrome for so I used the Portal App.   It didn't take 4 hours but wasn't nearly as fast as it should have been.

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Something I think Mozilla broke recently and I didn't think it was worth launching Chrome for so I used the Portal App.   It didn't take 4 hours but wasn't nearly as fast as it should have been.

I calculated I should have got the 28gig file at around 1 hour 14 minutes (I'm on a 50mbit/s connection)....... but as others have postulated, UVI servers might have been hammered with this insane upgrade price....

Can someone who has installed UVI Word Suite 2 verify something for me.

Under Vocals | Ambience Vocals | Georgian, there is only one listed and it's "080-A Georgian Female-01.wav".  There feels like there should be more listed there.

This is not a biggie as I believe I can access them under  Vocals | By Region | Eastern Europe | Georgian Vocals WS2

Note: This is with UVI Workstation 3.014 64bit standalone.

7 hours ago, Promidi said:

Under Vocals | Ambience Vocals | Georgian, there is only one listed and it's "080-A Georgian Female-01.wav".  There feels like there should be more listed there.

This is not a biggie as I believe I can access them under  Vocals | By Region | Eastern Europe | Georgian Vocals WS2

I don t own it but if i recall well , there s an option to check a library integrity ....

3 hours ago, Promidi said:

Tried that.  Passes.

So that should be it .... to be sure youncan reach them , they re reactif and super cool ...

if it s an old patch in can check in my v1 version , if it s v2 , i can t help sorrry.

Edited by Zo

13 hours ago, Promidi said:

That's all I see too.  Seems likely it's a problem. 

The By Type/Keys/German Accordion WS2/German Accordion Full and German Accordion Piccolo both produce a ton of missing .wav file errors (but the versions under By Region/Occidental don't).  I think UVI needs to update this.  And that means another full download.  Joy.

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

That's all I see too.  Seems likely it's a problem. 

The By Type/Keys/German Accordion WS2/German Accordion Full and German Accordion Piccolo both produce a ton of missing .wav file errors (but the versions under By Region/Occidental don't).  I think UVI needs to update this.  And that means another full download.  Joy.

I have noticed this too with Type/Keys/German Accordion WS2/German Accordion Full and German Accordion Piccolo as well. 

Have you reported this to UVI support?.  

Note: I have lodged a ticket about the scarce Vocals | Ambience Vocals | Georgian issue.