XLN Sale

cclarry

9 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I like the  XLN stuff.  Has anyone every compared Addictive Drums with MODO Drums yet? Any thoughts?

I think they are slightly different products.   I have most of the major drum libraries (apart from Steven Slate drums - which I have some kind of demo of but not impressed) .  I'm mainly a finger drummer but also trigger via a Roland TD20X.....These next 'statements' are just my opinions obvs - and I know both products have people that love them :)

MODO is supposed to be a drum 'modeller' - so the drums (not the cymbals) are modelled rather than sampled (although that's only partially true !).  A limited number of kits and at this point no expansion.  Cymbals, for example, don't have 'infinite velocity layers' as they claim - basically that's just nonsense - in fact there are very few velocity layers - lesson is ....it's marketing bullsh1t.

AD2 is more of a straighforward sample based drum module.  I think it's looking a bit long in the tooth nowadays.  Lots of sound expansions and midi expansion packs.  I think it's only 16bit (if that matters to you ?).  It really doesn't have the detail and controllability of BFD3 or SD3.  The GUI is prehistoric.

I don't think MODO triggers as well from v-drums - AD2 is a bit 'snappier'.   MODO feels a lot newer and is easier to use BUT despite the newer technology I don't actually think it sounds any better than AD2...actually AD2 is better - especially packs like the Fairfax 1 and 2.  I was really interested to see what IK could do with 'modelling' which is why I bought it, but left feeling it has a long way to go.  All the stuff like snare positional sensing and L/R hits, head type etc...well they don't make it sound better.

Ignoring the price, as I don't know what the current price is for AD2/MODO - I'd go for AD2 and some nice expansions...even though it's old...and feels a bit abandonware.

Both these products are MUCH inferior to SD3 (again just my opinion....but it's true !) - loads of expansion (including EZdrums) - 21st century GUI - lots of grooves - loads of options and triggers far and away the best with vdrums (hihat for example).  BFD3 is 2nd best but requires a bit more work to get a nice sound...and still doesn't trigger as well with vdrums and has an uncertain future.

MODO drums is part of the current IK group buy thing so that may swing it for you ?

TLDR: buy SD3 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simon said:

TLDR: buy SD3 for more user control of 'raw' samples, buy EZDrummer for a 'produced' sound

Fixed.

Disclaimer: I own SD3, SSD5, EZDrummer, AD2, Accent Drums and all the asscociated MIDI and sound expansions. As well MODO. Also BFD3 with a considerable portion of MIDI and sound expansions.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Fixed.

TLDR: buy SD3 for more user control of 'raw' samples, buy EZDrummer for a 'produced' sound

Disclaimer: I own SD3, SSD5, EZDrummer, AD2, Accent Drums and all the asscociated MIDI and sound expansions. As well MODO. Also BFD3 with a considerable portion of MIDI and sound expansions.

don't agree 100% :)

lots of EZD packs are 16bit unlike the SD3 24bit - and the SD3 specific kits are better quality (the orchestral percussion / hansa etc) so SD3 is still the better choice and you can still load EZD packs but not the other way round.  Also the SD3 packs come with lots of processed presets just like EZD ...and you can load EZD presets too so nothing to lose going SD3

🕊️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon said:

MODO is supposed to be a drum 'modeller' - so the drums (not the cymbals) are modelled rather than sampled (although that's only partially true !).

I was hoping that as it was modelled, it'd be able to do brushes/mallets. Alas, not the case... (yet?)

As we've mentioned other drum software, does anyone find that the ride in SD3 (that by default is only captured by the overhead mic) is very quiet? I know you can modify the mics and assign a dedicated ride mic, but it seems a little strange to me to have this as a default setup. Disclaimer: I've never mic'ed up a real drumset so if this is how you might typically do the mics, I'm happy to stand corrected.

19 minutes ago, simon said:

Also the SD3 packs come with lots of processed presets just like EZD ...and you can load EZD presets too so nothing to lose going SD3

SD3 is $319 vs EZDrummer is $129 (MSRP). That is a lot to lose if *all* you want is pretty much quick and EZ production ready sound packs.

Not mention the cost of sound packs: Example "Progressive Foundy" for SD3 is $179 vs. $89 for the EZDrummer "Progressive" version. 

JMO

🕊️

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, antler said:

As we've mentioned other drum software, does anyone find that the ride in SD3 (that by default is only captured by the overhead mic) is very quiet? 

never noticed that myself - is this a specific kit your noticed this on ?  There is no right or wrong way to mic a kit (within reason !) - but usually/often the cymbals would just be on the overheads (hihat would have it's own) - plus room/ambient mic possibly.  Relative balance of the cymbals can change depending on the exact placement of course

When they record this they set up the mics then work round the kit hitting the drums/cymbals so the relative balance 'should' be as real life.

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

SD3 is $319 vs EZDrummer is $129 (MSRP). That is a lot to lose if *all* you want is pretty much quick and EZ production ready sound packs.

Not mention the cost of sound packs: Example "Progressive Foundy" for SD3 is $179 vs. $89 for the EZDrummer "Progressive" version. 

agreed 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simon said:

never noticed that myself - is this a specific kit your noticed this on ?  There is no right or wrong way to mic a kit (within reason !) - but usually/often the cymbals would just be on the overheads (hihat would have it's on) - plus room/ambient mic possibly.  Relative balance of the cymbals can change depending on the exact placement of course

When they record this they set up the mics then work round the kit hitting the drums/cymbals so the relative balance 'should' be as real life.

Simon is correct.  They don't typically use "Dedicated Mics" on Symbols, other than the Hi Hats...for many reasons...

Edited by cclarry

At a drummer's request (on my studio drum set) I have added a mic about 2 feet above the ride and crash in addition to my dedicated hats mic. I also have a standard X-Y mic config 5 feet off the ground. These are all Sennheiser 600 series condenser mics.

20200826_124843.thumb.jpg.fa4063ffb2db5f1f6332e8d71a4b8b68.jpg

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, simon said:

never noticed that myself - is this a specific kit your noticed this on ?

Not really - I (personally) found it to be the case on most of the kits.

If the mic'ing is typical, I probably just need better technique for mixing drums - I find that when I try to bring up the rides to a good level, then the bleeds of the drums (e.g. kick/snare) become overpowering; when I try to tame those, the cymbals end up sounding a bit naff.

I know you can turn down/off the bleeds in SD3, or do a dedicated ride mic (which is what I've been doing so far); I'm always happy to learn new techniques though, so happy to receive any drum mixing advice.

6 minutes ago, antler said:

Not really - I (personally) found it to be the case on most of the kits.

If the mic'ing is typical, I probably just need better technique for mixing drums - I find that when I try to bring up the rides to a good level, then the bleeds of the drums (e.g. kick/snare) become overpowering; when I try to tame those, the cymbals end up sounding a bit naff.

I know you can turn down/off the bleeds in SD3, or do a dedicated ride mic (which is what I've been doing so far); I'm always happy to learn new techniques though, so happy to receive any drum mixing advice.

how are you triggering the samples ? nudge up the ride velocity ?

39 minutes ago, Bapu said:

At a drummer's request (on my studio drum set) I have added a mic about 2 feet above the ride and crash in addition to my dedicated hats mic. I also have a standard X-Y mic config 5 feet off the ground. These are all Sennheiser 600 series condenser mics.

20200826_124843.thumb.jpg.fa4063ffb2db5f1f6332e8d71a4b8b68.jpg

Is that a pew behind your throne?

Rocky

14 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

Is that a pew behind your throne?

Rocky

Ha Ha. Nope. Just a built in bench that came with the house. My Studio is a converted garage that was move-in ready.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, simon said:

how are you triggering the samples ? nudge up the ride velocity ?

Programming by mouse - finger drumming is on my to-learn list.

Maybe the simple truth is that I'm 'hitting' the main drums too hard in relation to the cymbals: I'm not a real drummer, so don't know the 'velocities' that they would play at.

Edited by antler