SI-Drums - Train Beat

John Call

I'm trying to program a train beat with the included SI-Drums kit.  I'm reading drum tab, but....I'm not a drummer and I don't think I'm doing it correctly.

What I want is to simulate a simple country train beat.  The ones I'm seeing seem to indicate a 16th note snare beat but that doesn't work.  Can anyone tell me how to map out a simple drum beat for one measure?  I can take it from there.

I'd love to be able to simulate brushes as well but not sure I can.

Thanks,

John

I think a train beat is a series of 2 - 4 note groups.  Two groups of four to a set - The 1st group the 3rd of the set of four notes is accented.   The second group the 3rd and the 4th notes of that group are accented.  Also they have a slight swing type feel to them.

12 hours ago, John Call said:

How do you do a tap vs a slap?

Insert the TTS-1. Insert a MIDI track.
Route the MIDI to the TTS-1.
In the Inspector for the MIDI set the Channel (C) to10, Bank (B) to Preset Rhythm, the Patch (P) to Brush set.

Open Piano Roll View on the MIDI track. It will display the TTS1-1 drum map.
You will see Brush Tap, Brush Slap, Brush Swirl, etc.

• Like 1

@John CallI'm not a drummer but there are some free country "Train" MIDI patterns on this page near the bottom of the list which might help to understand how to put one together.

Just download, then drag and drop one onto Cakewalk without any projects open and it will make a project with the MIDI and TTS-1 for drums.
If you want to use SI-Drums just insert the SI-Drums instrument and point the MIDI track(s) output(s) to SI-Drums. 

Some of the tracks are type 1 with a separate track for each drum type and some are type 0 with all on one track. By examining each track in the PRV you should be able to see how the beats were made.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

I recently put in a "trickety trock,  trickety trock" section in a song involving a train journey. I was in 6/8 (though you could do it in 3/4) and I just used snare with alternating soft/loud beats;   1234 -  - 1234 - -  snare hits on 1234 rests on - - (5&6).  In 3/4 it would be 1231 - - 1231 - -

I got a sample of steam noise from freesound.org as backing and the final result was very realistic for a the noise in a steam train carriage.

you could do it in 4/4 but it won't line up with the bars so neatly.  I was using AD2 where there are a variety of snare sounds.  In SI drums there are a variety of sounds and you'll need to shape the EQ to get the sound you want.  Hope this helps