Ultra Portable Digital Interface for using VST Live -solved

Michael Fogarty

Hello. I have searched the internet and found many products but no clear sound of the trumpet.  I am now using a MOTU AVB series but wanted something much smaller for sticking in my bag and practicing during long breaks, but would also work for gigs when I don't go by car. I don't need it to record - I just want to up the quality of my Dell XPS13 or my IpadPro while using Scarbee/Omnisphere/Ivory, etc. to show how beautiful and warm these instruments are. The MOTU Ultralite MK4 is overkill -which I am fine with, but I want something really small. I will say this a few times to make it clear.

I have considered the Roland GoMixer or Duo Capture - yes -I want something really small that I don't hesitate to take me at any time. There is an Apogee Jam as well. I just can't find any clear documentation, tutorial, or sales talk that assures me that I am getting what I want. They all focus on recording into your Ipad which I am not interested in doing.

PS - I don't want a box type unit like the Presonus or Focusrite ones. Something really portable.

Do you think this would work?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222--behringer-u-control-uca222-usb-audio-interface

I do not live in a country where you try it out for a week and if you don't like it you send it back.

Is there such an animal?  Of course, latency has to be good.

Thanks, everybody.

Edited by Michael Fogarty
typo

The only thing that would put me off with that Behringer unit is this feature: "Works with your PC or Mac* computer—no setup or drivers required".

In my opinion you should always use custom ASIO mode drivers supplied by the interface manufacturer, using their setup procedure. I am not aware of any reliable low latency audio drivers available  by default in Windows audio, except maybe for WASAPI, and that can be hit or miss. If it uses ASIO4ALL, that is just a wrapper for the Windows audio, which can work, but can also be problematic at times.

I would keep looking... and I would be skeptical of any audio interface advertised as "plug and play", as even the IK Multimedia iRig Pro lists ASIO4ALL under their Windows specs.

Edited by abacab

18 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

2 hours ago, abacab said:

The only thing that would put me off with that Behringer unit is this feature: "Works with your PC or Mac* computer—no setup or drivers required".

In my opinion you should always use custom ASIO mode drivers supplied by the interface manufacturer, using their setup procedure. I am not aware of any reliable low latency audio drivers available  by default in Windows audio, except maybe for WASAPI, and that can be hit or miss. If it uses ASIO4ALL, that is just a wrapper for the Windows audio, which can work, but can also be problematic at times.

I would keep looking... and I would be skeptical of any audio interface advertised as "plug and play", as even the IK Multimedia iRig Pro lists ASIO4ALL under their Windows specs.

Behringer used to do their own ASIO driver for this, which I actually use on my old laptop. In fact, the UCA222 it's what I use to sample all my hardware instruments (it's what I used to sample the piano sound I posted up ealier this month: 

The UCA222 is ultra clean, however with some laptops you may want to use a ground isolator on the input if you're not running on batteries.

For live use / output only, it should be fine though.

If I can find the original ASIO driver, I'll post a link to it.

[EDIT] : Looks like this site has them: http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/uca222.html

[EDIT #2] : Just tried these drivers out on Windows 10 - they work fine. The ASIO buffer can go down to 64, but I found 128 was the lowest I could use without getting clicks & pops.

I also had a look inside. The UCA222 is based around the Burr-Brown PCM2902E, so a fairly respectable DAC/ADC.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Behringer used to do their own ASIO driver for this, which I actually use on my old laptop. In fact, the UCA222 it's what I use to sample all my hardware instruments (it's what I used to sample the piano sound I posted up ealier this month: 

The UCA222 is ultra clean, however with some laptops you may want to use a ground isolator on the input if you're not running on batteries.

For live use / output only, it should be fine though.

If I can find the original ASIO driver, I'll post a link to it.

[EDIT] : Looks like this site has them: http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/uca222.html

[EDIT #2] : Just tried these drivers out on Windows 10 - they work fine. The ASIO buffer can go down to 64, but I found 128 was the lowest I could use without getting clicks & pops.

I also had a look inside. The UCA222 is based around the Burr-Brown PCM2902E, so a fairly respectable DAC/ADC.

Interesting! The download links for the   first two USB drivers link back to Behringer, the third one is listed as an "alternative" driver and links to ASIO4ALL.com.

The readme notes for the old Begringer driver indicate that it's a Win 7  & Win 8 driver, which in many cases are OK with Win 10. For example I am still running a Win 7 driver for my M-Audio firewire interface on Win 10 without any issues.

2. SYSTEM & APPLICATION:
------------------------
Supported software: All apllications which use the ASIO driver model.
Supported systems:  Vista (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit) and Windows 8.

3. IMPORTANT NOTES:
-------------------
-> Driver will be installed ONLY on USB port where your hardware is connected while installation!

-> After installation ALL other audio drivers are blocked on this USB port!

-> For using different drivers: Connect your USB audio hardware to a different USB port.

-> Alternative drivers which work fine with the named hardware products:
   Vista + Windows 7: ASIO4ALL (see providers homepage)

thank you everyone - I won’t mention you all by name but you are obviously some of the stars of this forum. I went ahead and got the Behringer on Amazon because its so sexy - will arrive today. (doorbell just rang.) At that price if all it does is playback audio for my laptop then I am still winning. It’s not for studio use. I’ll let you know how things work out.

Special thanks to msmcleod for all the research and facts.

sp

Ok, everyone. ASIO drivers supplied by the maker.  Instant gratification. Just recorded Scarbee's EP88 at 128 buffer.  About the size of a pack of Cohiba Cigarillos. For perspective, that is a Roland A49 and Dell XPS13 9370. This is the acoustically treated window in the same room where I work daily -but always wanted to be able to hang out at the window so this affords me to do that. And to have an ultra-portable set-up.  Thanks again for the help.

studio B.jpg

studio CLP170.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

thanks again. I won't use for recording - and I live in Japan so shipping is cost prohibitive. 

Edit -actually they will ship it for 6.95. Pretty amazing

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

@Michael Fogarty

FYI: From now on, you can also check the price out on https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/ if you can't get lost in Japanese. They often have a cheaper price than Amazon Japan. (However they have a small selection of items than Amazon.)

yes, I have been shopping from soundhouse since the beginning. I know the owner. But Amazon gets it to me in less than one day with free shipping (prime).

14 minutes ago, Michael Fogarty said:

yes, I have been shopping from soundhouse since the beginning. I know the owner. But Amazon gets it to me in less than one day with free shipping (prime).

Ah I see. Soundhouse also ships free with buying over 1000 yen for now however if you are in a hurry Amazon prime would be good choice.

Edited by HIBI

• 2 years later...

@Michael Fogarty, nice studio shots! I especially like the Apple subwoofer. I can't bring myself to dump mine and would love to find a way to power it up and get audio in. I also have the little spherical satellites. All sitting in a box in the basement awaiting some effort on my part. You seem to be of similar mind to me, can't have too many speakers for referencing.

The tatami mats as reflection deadening really look nice.

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

@Michael Fogarty, nice studio shots! I especially like the Apple subwoofer. I can't bring myself to dump mine and would love to find a way to power it up and get audio in. I also have the little spherical satellites. All sitting in a box in the basement awaiting some effort on my part. You seem to be of similar mind to me, can't have too many speakers for referencing.

The tatami mats as reflection deadening really look nice.

Hey there. That’s an old photo. The Harman sub and 4410 JBL’s are now in the closet.