Positive Grid Bias 2/ Bias Pedal

Guit Solo

I have discovered Sonar is able to bring on board Bias 2 and Bias Pedal as effects. However, if I try to record a a track. The signal is not routed through Bias 2/ Bias Pedal in real time. One would have to play and record a dry signal and then Bias 2/ Bias Pedal will respond to the recorded track. Of course, when it comes to phrasing things get complicated...

Is there any way to enable the signal to go through Bias 2/Bias Pedal while on recording mode..? I tried to press the recording button on the track. I was expecting the signal was going to go through Bias 2/Bias Pedal while on sort of stand by recording mode. Such didn't happen. I have read in other DAWs such doesn't take place and one can have Bias2/ Bias Pedal detecting the instrument signal on stand by recording.

Of course I'm bias with Sonar as I think it's a very user friendly DAW and one is quite used to it and content with its results for the most part.

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thank you,

GS

Edited by Guit Solo

Are you monitoring your signal through your interface? Some audio I/Fs let you monitor the signal before it is sent to the computer. If you are monitoring through the DAW you should hear the guitar signal through any fx that are enabled. When you record the dry signal is recorded, but you hear the fx (amp sims and so forth) while you record and when it is played back. 

Cakewalk by BandLab (and SONAR) always record the signal as it arrives at the track input.

To record a signal after it has been processed through an FX rack requires routing the signal to another track. This may be done using an aux track or a patch point.

To simply hear the effects enable input echo - the button to the right of record on the track header.

Just to reiterate the points made already, you typically would not record the output of a plugin within the DAW like that. You can in Cakewalk if you have the output from a different track routed to an aux track as scook mentioned, but generally this is just creating additional work for yourself.

The standard workflow would be to record with Bias (or any other amp sim/plugin) running on the track that you're recording to, with the audio being processed by the plugin in real time. To listen to the audio being recorded in SONAR/Cakewalk, you enable the Input Echo button on the track. This then means you're recording the dry signal, but hearing the processed one, which means you could always change the sound in the plugin if you need to too. 

Just watch out if you have monitoring enabled on your interface as well, otherwise you'll hear both the effected sound being routed through your track, and the dry "direct monitoring" coming through the interface. 

I'm going to go over all of you guys information and do some try outs; then I'll come back with details about what took place. The interface I use has sound outputs and I plug the usual two monitors to it. A USB connection goes from it to a computer.

Thanks to all of you,

GS

• 2 weeks later...

After going over you guys details and information, what was suggested last; that is using the Echo button became quite functional. For some reason I didn't try it before or I had to do some computer re-start or program re-start. The nice thing;  Bias can also be used with virtual instruments like synths to modify sound results. This means one doesn't always has to use it with a non virtual guitar or bass guitar. I even gave it a try with Rapture Session and a few interesting results took place.

Thanks to all of you for your help,

GS