8DIO 9th anniversary sale .. Recommended buys?

aidan o driscoll

The Century stuff is really good.  I do have a lot of 8Dio stuff.  If you bought the Anthology, for about $8 they will give you the Adagio libraries that are the basis for Anthology.  The version 1 Adagios have some problems but a really great sounding instruments if you can ignore the problems.  I, myself, didn't have issues with them.  But I am new to orchestral composing and probably didn't do anything complicated enough to run into problems.  Anthology was supposed to fix them, but took a lot of the interesting stuff out. 

The libraries are watermarked as protection.  So they don't show up in the library tab of Kontakt, but can be moved anywhere and will open in full Kontakt.  I love all the percussion stuff - especially the weird ones.  To me, the Hybrid ones sound a lot alike.  By one and you are good. The pianos are great, as are the Claire winds on sale. Never buy at full price as they will always be on sale eventually. 

Edit:  Also, the bundle discounts can be combined with the sale prices to bring even better discounts.  Use the cheap libraries to bring up the prices if you don't quite hit the amount for a free library.  My favorites are the Bottles which is $2.  I also like the Seahorse.

Edited by Dzilizzi
added stuff

16 hours ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

I have all their older strings, which are not on sale right now, like the Adagios and the Agitato's and Anthology which the new Adagios are sort of a repackaging of the Anthology's.

For those not in the know (i.e. me), what's the relationship between the Adagio, Agitato, and Anthology series?

1 hour ago, antler said:

For those not in the know (i.e. me), what's the relationship between the Adagio, Agitato, and Anthology series?

First came Adagio in sections version 1.  Then Agitato.  Then Anthology to replace Adagio.  I want to say Agitato was also in Anthology also, but that could be wrong.  I'm trying to remember what I had to own/buy to get Anthology free.  Then they came out with the Adagio version 2.  For the most part, I don't think the samples themselves were re-recorded.  The differences were cleaned up samples supposedly to fix things like slightly out of tune samples or things that were off.  They also redid some of the scripting.  A lot of people who liked Adagio thought the new scripting took the charm out of it. I think that is why they came out with version 2.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:41 PM, antler said:

Do you have any examples? (i.e. a 'secret' way of asking what libraries we might want to put on our sales-wishlists 😁)

I am content with the Cinematic Studio Series and whatever I can afford from Orchestral Tools, which means the Inspires and the Time Series, bought on sale.  The only thing by Spitfire I use is Tundra.  I don't foresee myself buying any other orchestral instrument libraries except for The Orchestra 2, which I love for all the animated presets. I hope I'm almost  done with Orchestral, but who knows.  

So I regret some of the 8dio orchestral stuff I bought, although they have a lot to offer.

But their Wrenchenspiel is still my favorite Wrenchenspiel.  I kid.  The Wrenchenspiel is really great and a steal at $8. 

13 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

SO .. the Adagietto Instrument OR Alto Flute Virtuoso ?

OR Both :D

I remember when Adagietto first went on sale for around a hundred bucks.  People went crazy on social media about how cheap that was and what a great deal it was.  What a difference a few years make.     It's half the price of that deal.   And so many other inexpensive or free things have come out that it seems less of a deal. 

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

SO .. the Adagietto Instrument OR Alto Flute Virtuoso ?

OR Both :D

The Claire stuff is very nice, but there is no upgrade path (or at least not one supported by the store, you may have some luck with asking direct though).  As a result I'm not sure I'd recommend buying just the Alto Flute.  You will want the whole Claire Woodwind Bundle, which last Christmas it looks like I got for $148.00.  So honestly I'd say $38 for just the Alto Flute isn't a great deal.

Adagietto is actually pretty nice.  If you need a string section, especially for non-orchestral stuff -- pop/rock, I'd say it's a reasonable choice.  Assuming you have the full version of Kontakt.  It also has no upgrade paths, but I like its tone more than the full Anthology Strings.  I rarely use it though because I have a lot of other choices.

• Thanks 1

Sordino strings are a bit softer/muted.  The Adagietto version includes Sordino patches (some) but also has a bit more bite.  Back in the day I got both instruments at the same time and rarely used the Sordino version.  But they are cut from similar cloth.    If you have been using the Agitato Sordino Strings and like it, then I'd say the Adagietto collection is worth getting.  If on the other hand you have the Sordino one and haven't really used it much and don't find it useful then Adagietto will just be more of the same.

Personally I like more keyswitching than these older 8Dio product have, so I'd say there are better (but not really cheaper) instruments these days.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Sordino strings are a bit softer/muted.  The Adagietto version includes Sordino patches (some) but also has a bit more bite.  Back in the day I got both instruments at the same time and rarely used the Sordino version.  But they are cut from similar cloth.    If you have been using the Agitato Sordino Strings and like it, then I'd say the Adagietto collection is worth getting.  If on the other hand you have the Sordino one and haven't really used it much and don't find it useful then Adagietto will just be more of the same.

Personally I like more keyswitching than these older 8Dio product have, so I'd say there are better (but not really cheaper) instruments these days.

@Matthew Sorrels To be honest I have looked at the videos for both here -

https://8dio.com/instrument/agitato-sordino-strings-for-kontakt-vst-au-aax/

https://8dio.com/instrument/adagietto-vst-au-aax-kontakt-instruments-samples/

Ok, subtle sound differences maybe, but for a more general user like myself one OR the other is enough .. as in the one I have is the Agitato Sordino Strings and is enough? The UI in both is pretty much the same actually.

I also have the Claire Clarinet. But no Flute.

On voice / choral front I have Realivox - Blue,  Soundiron mercury elements and Olympus elements. If thats enough to cover the choral front OR is it worthh waiting for a sale on an 8DIO choral instrument?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 1:53 PM, antler said:

Oh this is a fun one. It's like a mystery you have to solve 🙂 But I cracked it! Basically Adagio came first. very expressive but also a bit clunky and full of every type of legato style and some unique ARCs. Then came Adagietto which was just the ensembles from Adagio and has some very nice sounding sordinos.  Later, they did new recordings in the same church that was meant to blend with Adagio and Adagietto and they called this Agitato. Then they decided to take some of the "best of" recordings from all the previous libraries and combine them into a more streamlined interface and workflow and called this Anthology. Anthology used to be a free product if you already owned all these other products. Many people found that the processing done to the samples in Anthology were too stale and lacked air that the originals had so 8Dio decided to try again. Same samples, I think, with maybe a few changes to what ARC's were chosen for the new product but essentially a new and improved Anthology but this time they got rid of the old Adagio, kept Anthology in the line up named the new product The New Adagio, which I find to be a very strange decision. I would have preferred they called the new product Anthology 2, got rid of the first Anthology and kept the old Adagio series because they had some really cool articulations that are no longer available to the public unless you already owned the original Adagio.  Clear as mud? I thought so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1