8DIO 9th anniversary sale .. Recommended buys?

aidan o driscoll

So far here is everything on sale - THIS LINK WILL BE UPDATED WITH EVERYTHING ON SALE DAILY:

https://8dio.com/instrument-category/8dio-instruments-on-sale-vst-au-aax-kontakt-instrument-samples/

I plumped for the GUITALELE.

Today its the Cello and Violin Designer + the Claire stuff ( Flutes, Clarinet ). While I have ye here whats the difference tween the claire Alto Flute Virtuoso and the Claire Flute Virtuoso?

Edited by aidan o driscoll

One of the problems with doing this is that the thread becomes excessively long...and most
won't even enter the thread to "see what's new on sale".  They go down the list in the forum
to see what might "float their wallet", and will usually bypass a "recurring thread".

Just an FYI

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All 8Dio products require the full version of Kontakt.  There is no activation.  You download the files (using their download manager) and you load them into the full version of Kontakt.

https://8dio.com/company/contact/support/downloader-manager/

As far as recommends go, you have to remember 8Dio products roughly come in two flavors.  One are products that are based on loops.  Things like the Hybrid tools.  The Kontakt instruments usually have a bunch of effects and arps and things but it's still just loops.  Then there are the full on multi-sampled instruments.  If you have no experience with loop based Kontakt instruments you may find it's a bit of a rough road.  While I own a bunch of 8Dio loop-based instruments I'll be honest I've never been all that happy with them. 

Their "real" instruments are much better of course.  The strings are pretty nice.  The brass stuff is pretty nice.  A lot of great percussion.  Some very nice pianos.  Way too many choirs.  None are really bad but many of them feel like that were designed solely so Troels could make a single song and if you aren't him you'll never get much out of them.  They do have a bunch of "odd" instruments (the 66 stuff and the misfits for example) that either works for you or is completely worthless.  One thing they do seem to push are these giant/epic sized recordings (the 66 stuff, Majestica, etc) but I think you'll find it's more marketing hype than actually something you need or can use.  A zillion Cellos doesn't somehow make your music "more epic".  This is a hard lesson though, because it requires a bunch of time and experimentation to realize that bigger ensembles aren't really what you need. 

You should definitely get the free stuff (several of them I actually bought back in the day).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

All 8Dio products require the full version of Kontakt.  There is no activation.  You download the files (using their download manager) and you load them into the full version of Kontakt.

Thanks Mathew, a good explanation of their products.  I still cannot work out though, even from their download manager, whether or not you can download the sample libraries to a different computer and then transfer them to another computer ie in my case, going to the library and using their fast free internet, downloading the libraries there and then returning home and transferring them over to my offline DAW. Do you know if this can be done?

24 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Thanks Mathew, a good explanation of their products.  I still cannot work out though, even from their download manager, whether or not you can download the sample libraries to a different computer and then transfer them to another computer ie in my case, going to the library and using their fast free internet, downloading the libraries there and then returning home and transferring them over to my offline DAW. Do you know if this can be done?

You can download them to any computer and then transfer them. The downloads are just a bunch of zip or rar files that you unpack. Their downloader does all that for your and that is it.  

• Thanks 1

I also think you can re-download anything more than once.  I'm sure there may be some limit, but I've not had a problem with just re-entering my serial number to get it to download again.

The only "trick" is some of their libraries need install steps (Kontakt full libraries sometimes need to have images placed in specific loctations) and some users have issues with that.  Mostly due to their older installers not correctly handling Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 both being installed.

But the download is just files.  You can move them anywhere you want after you get them, including to another machine.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

As far as recommends go, you have to remember 8Dio products roughly come in two flavors.  One are products that are based on loops.  Things like the Hybrid tools.  The Kontakt instruments usually have a bunch of effects and arps and things but it's still just loops.  Then there are the full on multi-sampled instruments.  If you have no experience with loop based Kontakt instruments you may find it's a bit of a rough road.  While I own a bunch of 8Dio loop-based instruments I'll be honest I've never been all that happy with them.

Loop based vs multi-sampled instruments - How do you know the difference?? 9 Probably a dumb Q with an obvious and :D )

My favorites are the Claire Woodwinds and the New Sopranos.

I bought some of their orchestral libraries but don't use them much.  Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that I eventually purchased libraries I like better.

The problem with 8dio is their pricing is so radically different from one day to the next.  So many things go on sale for $18 or even $8.   It's very hard to buy, even when there is what seems like an excellent price.   A forum like this is a good way to find out how low an instrument went for.  It will probably go back to that price one day--or even lower.

I have bought all kinds of things on 8dio silly sales just because they were so ridiculously cheap, and they aren't getting tremendously much use in my music.

22 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

My favorites are the Claire Woodwinds and the New Sopranos.

I bought some of their orchestral libraries but don't use them much.  Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that I eventually purchased libraries I like better.

The problem with 8dio is their pricing is so radically different from one day to the next.  So many things go on sale for $18 or even $8.   It's very hard to buy, even when there is what seems like an excellent price.   A forum like this is a good way to find out how low an instrument went for.  It will probably go back to that price one day--or even lower.

I have bought all kinds of things on 8dio silly sales just because they were so ridiculously cheap, and they aren't getting tremendously much use in my music.

I think with alot of these things you have to make a concerted effort to both learn and use them.

I have so many plugins and instruments at this stage INC a huge number of Kontakt instruments bought over the years .. I have now forgotten them. There is such a thing as having to o much also :D

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

On 8/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

I think with alot of these things you have to make a concerted effort to both learn and use them.

I have so many plugins and instruments at this stage INC a huge number of Kontakt instruments bought over the years .. I have now forgotten them. There is such a thing as having to o much also :D

I know.  One of these days I will have to finally get it together and compose my Wrenchenspiel concerto. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Do you have any examples? (i.e. a 'secret' way of asking what libraries we might want to put on our sales-wishlists 😁)

4 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Loop based vs multi-sampled instruments - How do you know the difference??

If available, demo/walkthrough videos are a big clue. Sometimes the product descriptions will say things like 10,000 samples, deep-sampled, or 5 round-robins for multi-sampled instruments.

Generally, the orchestral/piano/guitar/voice ones are multi-sampled; the Hybrid Tools series are more loop based.

Out of that sale I like the Wrenchenspie and the Steel string guitar for the ambient guitar patch. For regular sounding guitar work I use Orange Tree and Ample Sound the most. I have all their older strings, which are not on sale right now, like the Adagios and the Agitato's and Anthology which the new Adagios are sort of a repackaging of the Anthology's. Don't get me started on the confusion they created there, however I do use their strings a lot and really like them.  They take a bit of work but I still prefer them over the Spitfire Albion One Strings. Between my 8Dio strings and Audiobro Lass2 and East West Hollywood strings I feel like I have a lot of my string needs covered. For Rock and Pop music I find the New Adagios work pretty well.