Mix Recall- how to transfer to another project?

John Vere

Scenario- Recorded a band yesterday live to 16 tracks.  Made a blank project and used this as a template for all songs. Recorded 10 songs which are all identical as far as tracks and settings go. 

Worked on first song adding the usual stuff until all is sounding real good. But now how to get this applied to the other 9 songs?  I am absolutely sure you can save this as a mix recall and copy that to the other projects but can't seem to get this to happen. 

I opened the MixScenes folder for the first song and copied the  "Song 1-Mix (1).cwm"  into the Song 2 MixScenes folder. Song 2 mix recall shows no scenes saved. So I renamed the file Song 2, still nothing.. Anybody know the correct procedure ?  

When I entered

site:forum.cakewalk.com copying mix recall

into Google

The first result was http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3442977

The third message in the thread is from Noel

If your second project originated from the same template or was a modification of the same tracks in the first project, then you can reuse the mix scenes created in the first one. 
To load a mix scene from one project to another, you can navigate to the mix scene folder in the browser and drag the scene into the second project to load it in.

But I seem to be pretty lucky using search tools.

Its super useful for people like me who are used to working with digital mixers. In other words, real audio engineers from the past and present. But I doubt if the punters making "beats" could care less. So depends on your target market. I consider it a "pro " feature. 

As it is, it works "OK",  but what I do find is not all features get ported over to the new project. Example, for me the effects sends to a reverb and delay buss were not copied. Everything else was there. I used it successfully all afternoon and it was a huge time saver.  The cool thing was buy song #4 I had some more and better tweeks added. It was a very simple matter of saving song 4 mix recall and going back and dumping it on song 1, 2 and 3. All songs are ready to master,  top and tail within a few hours.

Cakewalk rocks. That's all I can say. It recorded in the hot sun all afternoon to 16 tracks on a W7 POS laptop without a hick-up or glitch.  

• Like 1

I try to keep as simple as possible and also among those not using MixRecall.
The idea is good, but potential problems that can arise from it are big. Things that can play tricks on you later.

So I make SaveAs instead, not versioning and absolutely not incremental versions which also is potential risk.

Also a bit scared to start using arranger for the same reasons. I rather use, with some increased pulse, inserting bars for new parts.
- did tempo track nodes go with it properly?
- did automation go with it properly?

Just daw as holder of clips and automation and the plugins that goes with it.
As simple as possible.

Things I would like to see is workflow stuff, like NRPN scaling in a lane. Hammond send NRPN when I turn leslie on, and it is 0 or 128 - but Cakewalk has fixed scaling 0-16000, I think it was. So that is invisible in that context.

Things I do I trying different compressor plugins, to really get the hang which one works better on certain material.
But that can be done just disable one and enable the other.
Problem with that is that I don't know if that affect pdc or not, different daws work differently and some let you show what delay there is on a track as calculated.
So visible total pdc when doing late recordings would be swell feature. And if even on each track like StudioOne and Protools do, even better.

These are the things I long for.....that daw assist in anything I want to do, not having to work around how daw works....

• Like 1

I do use it, but not often. It can be really handy for a client if I'm doing different versions of a song (say, instrumental mix, full mix, or variations of a mix, etc.) and I can basically set and forget and let it export at the end. I haven't tried using it to transfer project settings though - I normally set up a temporary Track Template for that, but I think this is something I'll explore a bit more now it's on my radar. Super useful tool!

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2020 at 4:39 PM, scook said:

open the target project in CbB

open the source project's mix scene folder in the media browser

drag and drop the mix scene files into the target project

worked a treat for me too - saved a bunch of time

On 8/25/2020 at 9:07 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm curious how many users are actively using Mix Recall. At some point we plan on improving the feature.

Quite possibly one of my favourite features. When Mix Recall was first included I couldn’t believe how useful it was. Now its just part of my work flow. Love it.

• 6 months later...

I'm having an issue with Mix Recall, perhaps in relation to the OPs question, and this seems to be the newest thread on the topic by far. When I drag and drop a Mix Scene from one project's Mix Scene folder to a different target project that's active in CWbBL, it will not change any bus settings, regardless of what Mix Recall Settings I've selected. It will only apply to audio tracks. Changing the settings for automation, FX, controls, Entire Project vs. Selection, etc. are all honored, but only for tracks and not buses.

Any ideas?

• 8 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, scook said:

open the target project in CbB

open the source project's mix scene folder in the media browser

drag and drop the mix scene files into the target project

Hey Scook, quick question, has this function been taken away or deprecated in some form?  I have a source project that I saved a recall of.  I was doing an alternate mix of the exact same project in another saved session. It got a bit away from me, so I decided to use your technique to go back to the originals levels and such, but it doesn't do anything at all.

EDIT: Never mind, I realized why it wasn't working.  I had floated a group of tracks to a different position in track view.  As soon as I remembered and floated them back, I was able to place the mix recall in place no problem.  Anyhow, my fault, user error.

Edited by Helios.G