Favorite Vocal Mics?

Johnbee58

In my constant search for improvement of my vocal tracks I'm turning to you guys here.

In short, what is your favorite vocal microphone?  Doesn't matter if it's dynamic, condenser, tube condenser, ribbon or whatever.  Any brand name. El cheapo or super expensive.  Just the mic that brings you the most joy in your vocal tracks.  Let's keep it vocal for now because that's all I'm searching for.  Oh, and please, no standing on soapboxes with mini tutorials on all of the other variables in getting a "good vocal sound".  I realize all of that.  Right now, I just want microphones.

Thanks!

😀John B.

Edited by Johnbee58

24 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

Just the mic that brings you the most joy in your vocal tracks

My RODE NT1000.

I know there are better microphones out there but once in a while you get a good microphone that matches your voices characteristics.

My NT1000 was one of the first 1000 ever processed.

8 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

My RODE NT1000.

I know there are better microphones out there but once in a while you get a good microphone that matches your voices characteristics.

My NT1000 was one of the first 1000 ever processed.

Exactly!  Thanks!

Do those Rode mics come with pop filters?

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58

Hi, John,

I'm another Rode guy and I really like my Rode NT2A.👍

It's got switchable multiple polar patterns, a 3-way HPF, 3 position PAD, and came with a nice shock-mount, pop filter, wind screen and carrying case.

It's heavy and solid, exceptionally well built and very reasonably priced, too, with a 10 year warranty.  I think the versatility makes it a really great mic, especially for the price.

Have a good one!
Bob

• Like 1

AEA R-84 Ribbon mic. It suits my voice best.

Other decent mics I have for vocal are:

1x AKG C414 B-ULS (Transformerless mod). This one seems best on female vocals

1x AKG SolidTube. If I did not have my AEA R-84 I'd use this one for me.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

s-l640.jpg

For my voice-over work.

image.png.e3a8bb85287c2640650f0462d5231072.png

For singing. 

(Trust me, it's for the best! 😀)

Side-note: I have my name on more top-level dart league plaques (14) at the Horse Brass Pub (originally owned by the late creator of this beer) than anyone else.  So there! 😛

Edited by craigb
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, paulo said:

Shure SM58. More only than favourite. I mostly only record myself so always figured that there was really no point in having anything else because garbage in will still equal garbage out however much the microphone cost.

I've tried various condenser mics, and I still prefer the SM58 for my vocals.

The condensers I've tried however, have been on the cheap side, so maybe a better quality one might sound better.

The Rode NT-1 looks like a good contender, but I'm torn between this and the Shure SM7B as the SM7B sounds similar, but better than the SM58 in shootouts I've heard.

8 hours ago, craigb said:

image.png.e3a8bb85287c2640650f0462d5231072.png

For singing. 

(Trust me, it's for the best! 😀)

Side-note: I have my name on more top-level dart league plaques (14) at the Horse Brass Pub (originally owned by the late creator of this beer) than anyone else.  So there! 😛

Yeah, many times I wonder if a belt or two would help my vocal performance.  It would certainly make it more colorful.🤣

Your dart league record is also very impressive.

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58

I'll put in a vote for the AKG C214, I like the small size of the mic and the style of shock mount, it also has a pad switch and a bass roll off. It is a cardoid mic. I think it is a great general studio mic and is also good for female vocals as it has a smoother high end, I have a higher voice. It's clean and clear with a nice sonic character. I am not sure it would suit typical male vocals though.

For live gigs I like the Sennheiser MD 421. It's good in the studio too.

• It's dynamic
  • has a better than average flat response in the vocal range
  • can withstand high SPL levels without distorting
  • has for all practical purposes zero proximity effect
  • has a 5 position roll-off bass filter for those with a muddy voice
  • is almost bullet-proof
  • and Professional Audio Review rated it as the best dynamic mic under $800

I bought mine in 1985 and I do one-nighters for a living. I use it for saxophone, flute and vocals.

My duo partner started with Sure B58s, and after three of them died, while my 421 still worked, she bought a 421 and hasn't looked back.

Of course, one solution isn't best for everyone, but it works for both of us. It's our favorite vocal and sax mic.

Insights and incites by Notes

22 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Do those Rode mics come with pop filters?

The NT1, NT1A typically come with a roll cage (shock mount/pop filter combo).

I usually tear that apart and go with a "12 inch gooseneck clamp on" for more versatility.

My RODE NT1000 however needs no cage.

458799641_rodent1000.JPG.934f7a88119668fe789e4e31cc4ee7cd.JPG