Favorite Vocal Mics?

Johnbee58

8 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Best call for your voice would be a ribbon. I wouldn't cheap out 'cause the cheaper ribbons aren't worth it.

I really disagree about cheap not being good.

Cheap ribbons are often almost indistinguishable from very expensive ribbons. Preamps and impedance matter with ribbons. If you don't have either a low impedance pre 220-300, or super high impedance, then you might not love the result.

In either case, a good pre makes it possible to enjoy a cheap ribbon. 

Learning curve in ribbons is steep. They are not for smokers.

I adore how they sound have not needed to repair one yet. Guess that means I'm still a baby.

Don't be scared of the $100 ribbon. It is a different class of mic and worth having. They are super on very loud guitars or horns.

To me, they are almost like the first step in compression. The path to a buttery track.

Now if you want insulation from your pre, buy an active ribbon. These make it easy to get great ribbon sound on any pre, but they cost more. Almost double in some cases.

Some ribbon basics include... Store vertically, no phantom power, careful of puffs like from a kick. Don't let the kick sound hole fire smoke rings at your ribbon.

Mxl makes nice reasonably priced ribbons.

I regret how many years i went without a ribbon. I was scared of fragile. I didn't realize the awesome!

Keep in mind the difference between any ribbon and any condenser or dynamic is way more than the difference of properly working ribbons in different price ranges.

Edited by Gswitz

1 hour ago, ØSkald said:

Wasnt Antares making a mic sim before? You could  put in what mic you had and what you wanted it to sound like?

Yeah, but it's been around for ages so the technology is pretty old. They have updated it since the original version to include more mics, but AFAIK the technology behind it hasn't changed much.

I've no idea how it would compare to something like the Slate VMS, but it would depend largely on your source mic.

I'd love to give it a try, but at around £100 it's not something I'd take a punt on (although they do have a trial version I guess). Also, Antares only gives 1 iLok authorisation per license.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/487

• Like 1

I sang live for years with a SM58. That is one tough a$$ mic!!

I also used a Beta 58 for a while. Then I got an AT4040 and I like the way I sound on it.

I also have an MXL ? that I haven't used yet.

Edited by Grem
Spelling of course!