my guitars are battered

Gswitz

They have dings and dents and scratches and even some even tiny cracks.

I was reading online that there are people who are so careful with their guitars they never put them on guitar stands and then I watch Stevie Ray Vaughn standing on top of his strat on stage!

Such mixed messages.

I do baby my guitars. I love them like children, but don't shed tears over dings. That's just character. 🙂 Sometimes headstocks get a bump on a ceiling as I take it off. or they tip over. Get banged with the hard end of a mic cable.

I try to keep them safe, but they're kids and kids get into trouble.

Right? No reason to call the cops on me for neglect?

I think we'd all agree that dings and knocks are to be avoided if possible, but those earned 'honestly' are fine (nay inevitable for the gigging musician).

What I simply just don't understand is why anyone would part with their hard-earned cash for a so-called 'relic', or artificially 'road-aged' guitar.

To me that'd be like purchasing a shiny new guitar, getting it home and taking a sander to it.

Am I missing the point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

some people take care of their equipment to include avoiding cosmetic damage, and are proud owners; others drive their equipment straight into the ground.

There's a difference between a well worn and pickled liver, and a body wracked with a hundred years of alcohol abuse.

• Like 1

If I didn't care. I mean REALLY didn't care, I wouldn't care to ask if I should care UNLESS I really do care but don't know how much I  care compared to others. In which case I might look around to see how much anyone else cares to see if I should try to care more based on how much others care OR I might be into psychology and that might interest me why some people care and some people don't care OR maybe there are a few in between on the scale. They care but not enough to say it really matters while others care so much it's embarrassing.

Then the question would beg, IF I care then why?  Is it an internal sense of orderliness or is it how I might want to be viewed by others or is it both? Maybe instead I just want an efficient tool and have concerns that if it gets bumped the wrong way it might not work as well and possibly need setup again?

Obsessive compulsive  could enter into this. Why do we generally like clean or semi clean cars when a dirty car has nothing to do with the car's actual performance? Have cars become like an extension of ourselves much like clothing?  Is it similar to seeing a person dressed shabby?  If we are judging others by their guitars, cars, houses, exterior what does that say about us? 

Why do people buy guitars? Choose specific body designs and colors? This is apparently about some kind of a statement or else  guitars would be much more mundane. 

So this is somewhat about individuality aside from any notes played is it not? Could some of it be about owning something that we know someone else wants or desires? Would we even admit that?  What I find interesting is that most of these guitars either are or were mass produced. How does that infer any kind of individuality?

Just so you know I am not the type to really care. It wouldn't matter if I did :)  Most of what I buy I plan to use. My expectation is that at some point it won't look like it did the day I bought it.  Tho I'm not mainly a guitarist I have a few of em' hanging up on my wall and a few in cases. I have to remind myself I have them since I started using vsti guitars .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobertWS said:

I think we need a "calm down" icon to click.

That may have come across as tense. It wasn't. 

I'm an analytical type and sometimes get carried away...🤔

Do older well played instruments have the occasional ding? I think that's a given. It's how we deal with it that I find interesting.

• Like 1

I don't really need a new guitar and the whole idea of spending a fortune on a guitar that suffers if you put it on a stand just says to me that I'm not ready.

I like the idea of a used instrument. I do want to try a guitar with Humbuckers.

To me, it was a bit like a nice bong or a tea set. Something that is kinda ceremonial. Not necessary for the purpose but still kinda fun to have.