I'm unable to set the input gain level

Dan Bartosik

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

In the past if you wanted to become a recording engineer you read a few well written books or you went to a college. You would then understand the terminology and "how things work" . It a bit annoying to have people think a software company is supposed to spoon feed engineering to the punters. Read the manual and study your craft. Book or videos it's you choice, but I highly recommend this if you want to get were your going without frustration. 

https://bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Yamaha_Sound_Reinforcement_Handbook_2nd_Edition_Gary_Davis_Ralph_Jones.pdf

There’s no need to dumb it down.  What's really amazing is that Cakewalk is a fully-featured DAW which I imagine any experienced recording engineer would find fully capable for use in making professional recordings, yet its also so simple to use that a total novice like me was able to pull off a very reasonable recording after watching a few YouTube tutorials and tinkering around with the software for a few hours.  I literally recorded this tune within three days after using Cakewalk for the first time (actually its my first time using any DAW), and half that time was spent learning the song.  I'm really impressed and I can see that I'll be doing a lot more with Cakewalk as time permits,

Edited by Dan Bartosik

• 5 months later...

I've been working with live and studio sound for over two decades, and CbB for about a year, and I agree with the O.P.  I just wasted a considerable amount of time and frustration trying to figure out why I couldn't increase my mike recording level.  I've never owned an audio interface that had any metering, just a clipping light (currently using a ProSonus AudioBox USB 96).  Audacity has an input gain control, why can't CbB? 

-- Ed

Working with live audio for 2 decades doesn’t always qualify a person for pro sound. 
I’ve seen this a lot in places like churches where some pour dude got stuck with the sound system because he new how to plug stuff in. 
The musicians would be complaining about how horrible the sound was in the church and ask me to come and troubleshoot. 
Things were all wrong from top to bottom. They had been buying things like 32 band EQ because the guy at the music store told them they needed this. Worse is the were sold a feedback destroyer. 
All stuff the pour volunteers had no clue about. 
Their education in audio was passed down from untrained volunteer to untrained volunteer 

And some had been doing it (wrong) for   Yes. two decades. 

Anyone with any proper audio training who had never set up a computer and audio interface before would have correctly set the recording level instantly. They probably Read The Instructions cause that’s what proper training teaches you 

Edited by John Vere

On 2/13/2021 at 10:04 AM, John Vere said:

Anyone with any proper audio training who had never set up a computer and audio interface before would have correctly set the recording level instantly. They probably Read The Instructions cause that’s what proper training teaches you 

Bingo.

Newbies need to learn how to RTFM.

I don't know what they teach in school these days, but researching - and reading in general- seem to be a lost art. Everyone wants to be spoon fed silver bullets to fix their immediate concern instead of learning the basics of how things work. Because that takes effort.

15 hours ago, Kurre said:

I now use a small hardware mixer as gain for low output mics. It gives you double amplification of the signal by setting the input sensitivity and then raising the output signal.

Are you aware that the mixer should be plugged into line level inputs and not into pre amps? It is not a good idea to double up on mike pre amps. It's not needed and can raise the noise floor.

A mixer is a great idea for front end and can handle just about any input and boost it to line level. Once again.. basic audio engineering 101.  

So if your audio interface has a line level inputs, usually on the back as 3/4, use that and not the front panel inputs. Unless those can by pass the pre amps which some do with switches. 

Edited by John Vere

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Are you aware that the mixer should be plugged into line level inputs and not into pre amps? It is not a good idea to double up on mike pre amps. It's not needed and can raise the noise floor.

A mixer is a great idea for front end and can handle just about any input and boost it to line level. Once again.. basic audio engineering 101.  

So if your audio interface has a line level inputs, usually on the back as 3/4, use that and not the front panel inputs. Unless those can by pass the pre amps which some do with switches. 

Yes, i'm aware. :)

It would be nice to avoid an extra box but i have very old mics and i don't throw away stuff and buy new ones unless its dead and not working at all. The quality is good enough (for home recording) even with an old mic when you get the input levels up. 👍